What's your favorite yoyo related memory?

Mine would probably have to be when I shot a yoyo video for Trent Knighton in like 2013. This was the first time I got to hangout with other yoyoers because there aren’t many throwers in Birmingham, AL. Was just so much fun having other people to throw with and Trent has always been so talented. Here’s the video I shot if you’re interested.

5 Likes

This one time, I was hanging out in my living room, and I was yoyoing. But at the same time, I was watching lord of the rings. Oh that Gandalf! He made me laugh so hard that I missed my trapeze. Oh man, oh man. That Gandalf. Anyways. I think that’s a memory.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:… That’s a good one haha

1 Like

Finally landing the horizontal hops that I had been practicing for 3 months.

3 Likes

Wow 3 months? I know you were so excited. Horizontal is not easy

1 Like

Maybe not fondest memory but funny…. A waitress asked if she could try my yo-yo. Having a few adult beverages in me I handed over my 000, Yikes! She didn’t use the slip knot properly and on her first throw it went bouncing across the bar. The sound stopped all conversations in the place. We now have a nice little battle scar. Her face was priceless.

6 Likes

Omggggg. I know you were so upset. That’s a bad day

1 Like

Meeting John Higby curbside while visiting the Denver Busker Festival in the early 90’s. Yodel could barely play 2A, but I was so impressed I threw an Andrew Jackson in the hat, he then gave me a couple of hand painted proyo2’s and a black yellow turbo bumble bee gt. I didn’t expect to get my world rocked for a cheap 20. I have known him a long time now, He has enriched my yoyo life in so many way.

5 Likes

Not my favorite memory, but the weirdest yoyo related experience i´ve ever had:
A few days ago, i was throwing in a large meadow in the park. A policeman came to me and said, they´re about doing a big exercise in the park. I should not worry and just keep throwing.
So i did.
A little later, about 20 policemen were in the meadow, walking in lines, inspecting the grass and bushes and doing police stuff for an hour. On their way back, they stopped at me and the boss asked me if they could watch for a minute.
“Sure.” i said. “Would be a pleasure.”
I have a little stage-experience and i throw in public frequently, so usually it´s not a problem for me being watched. But this was different. There were 20 policemen with guns and sticks and bulletproof vests and whatnot standing around me in a accurate semicircle and looking at me. All of a sudden, i felt quite weird.
I threw a sleeper and allowed myself to feel weird for a second and getting familiar with this situation while i was checking my string-tension. At the bind, i was getting the first “Whoa!” and some claps from the crowd. I felt much better.
“I haven´t even started!” i said. They laughed.
I did a frontstyle-combo with Eiffeltower, Braintwister and Mach 5. They were amazed. I did a Double or nothing to trapeze to Eli-hops repeater and they went crazy! They were cheering and clapping like teens on a pop-show. I also did Magic Trick and Gondola and got lots of applause. Then the boss thanked me and they walked away in rows of two.
I had to sit down and smile for a few minutes.

16 Likes

You made their day, thanks for sharing this fun story

2 Likes

Looking back, mostly contest related experiences - nothing beats the vibe of being at a yoyo contest, throwing with others, trying/buying new yoyos, etc. My first few contests bring back a huge wave of nostalgia for me. Some highlights: getting my first high end metal yoyo (General Yo Hatrick) at Nationals 2009 (and just being at Nationals in general - I traveled up to Chico from SoCal with my best friend which definitely added to the fun), BLC 2009 (my first contest, I believe), and subsequent BLC’s/DXL meets. Good times… would love to go to a contest again, haven’t been to one since around 2014.

Other nostalgic memories include: yoyoing with friends who also threw in junior high/high school was pretty cool. Getting home after school and getting on the family computer to see what was going on here on the YYE forums/YoYoNation/YoYoSkills…

Also being a bit older now: picking up some of your own personal grails that you wanted as a kid, but couldn’t afford at the time, etc. And, finally getting certain “white whale” yoyos after searching for what seems like forever for them (my gold Grail comes to mind).

3 Likes

I’ve got a few pretty fond Yo-Yo memories from my younger days. I’m from Minnesota and there used to be several Airtraffic Kites and Games stores around. anyways John Narum used to work at one. He was huge yo-yo inspiration for me, and I actually got to meet him at one of their Yo-Yo and skill toy nights, which was super cool! He signed my YoYoJam equinox at the time, and it was awesome. Such a fun guy to meet!

2 Likes

I’m a graduate student and I remember looking up material to study “nitrogen cycle” and I came across Tessa’s trick. I played some in the 90’s but, only responsive stuff where I played catch. Anyways. Fast forward 8 months I finally learned the trick that inspired me to start yo-yo in the first place. From learning a bind to nitrogen cycle in 8 months. I was really happy.

5 Likes

Anytime someone asks good questions about it. I used to yo-yo in a restaurant/ bar when the bartender requested it. She found it fascinating, and I’ll admit I was flattered. It did pay for a beer or two.

1 Like

I was in a similar situation, I mistakenly let someone borrow in a bar, and he started whipping it around like a mace & flail. Mostly concerned he would hurt someone. Yo-yo was swiftly put away upon return.

2 Likes

Such an awesome story!

2 Likes

the first time i finally understood how to trapeze. i was in the 7th grade and had this yugioh autoclutch that would actually sleep for a super long time (thanks walmart)

i learned it from watching the trick cd that came with duncan yo-yos at the time which was around 2003-ish. i actually remember the first one i ever did:…i was standing in my
kitchen and it blew my mind

3 Likes