whats the best bearing for a burnside?

Do you think the 10 ball the burnside comes stock with are one of the best for it? If it’s not, what do you recommend and why? Kk, (idk how to spell it)central trac, or just keep the 10 ball? Which makes it sleep longest? Thanks!

Sleeping the longest is a shoddy metric. You’re not going to be staring at the yoyo, you’re going to be playing it. :wink:

The longest-playing bearing for me is the one that’s in any given yoyo when I’m on a roll and getting really clean string hits. Otherwise, they all tend to die in a similar way with my cruddy playing.

I’d probably stick to the high-quality 10-ball that comes with it.

1 Like

I have two Burnsides. The funny part is that I bought them both from the same guy. I bought one, and he asked to borrow it back for his competition set, and then after the competition, he sent it back. A couple of months later, the other went up for sale so I snatched it up.

Now, of course, these came stock with OD 10 Ball bearings, which I felt played really, really great. The interesting thing was the guy who owned the ones I have liked Trifectas in then, so I tried it as well. It turns out for me at least, I do like the Trifecta bearing better in these. When I sent my yellow Burnside to him to compete with, I included a Dry Play treated Trifecta in it, and a second for his other(later mine) Burnside. That’s what he competed with.

Honestly, the best wy to find out what is the best bearing is to try different stuff in there and see what YOU like best.

Regarding sleep time, I feel that’s not an accurate measure of anything except how long the bearing will spin. For me, unless the bearing is bad or in need of a cleaning(or both), I’ve found nearly any bearing will get me through any tricks and combos I want to get through. If I don’t have enough spin time, it’s due to one or both of of two things: 1: I’m not playing cleanly enough or 2: I’m just pushing the limits of what I can do, often by not paying attention to how long I’ve had that yoyo out on a throw. Just be aware that your sleep times will improve over time, as well as how clean you hit. As your skills improve, you’ll get into combos and then learn how to manage spin as well(read: learn when to bind it back).

Looking for a bearing to fix a perceived problem is not going to address your concerns. For now, I think you might want to just stick with the bearing that it came with as I think you just need to work on the skills you do have while at the same time learning new skills. A couple of months of this with hard work and you’ll probably see huge progress. Then, I’d suggest setting aside some money to get a small selection of bearings to experiment with and then see what you like.

1 Like

woah thanks man! Most people dont, but I like the supernova more than the Burnside… (anybody can answer) what bearing is bst for that? Thank ppl

You’re welcome.

I tried the Supernova at Nationals, and I didn’t care for it. It just wasn’t a good fit for me. On the one side, this had been a model I was interested in, but wasn’t sure if I wanted to buy it. Now that I tried one, at least now I know from experience.

YYF seems to design their metals with the CBC CenterTrac bearing in mind. The CenterTrac is a really good bearing in my opinion and so far to date I haven’t had any issues with them. So, my suggestion is that probably the Centertrac would be one of the better bearings to put in there.

Before you go diving into bearing purchases, think about a few things, as I quickly summarize bearings:

1: Flats. While with many choices to choose from, most of the 10-ball bearings(including YYJ’s Speed Bearings, OD 10 Ball, General Yo AIGR) are pretty darn smooth playing. However, any quality 8 ball bearing will be just fine and as smooth as well. A couple of flats I have that I don’t like are the regular YYJ C bearing and the YYF SPEC bearing, as I just haven’t had great results with those. Flat bearings let the string naturally drift back and forth and ideally there should be minimal string bunching when you’re throwing layers into the gap. Since the bearing makes no impact on where the string sits(your throw does all of that), it is possible that you can get some unexpected binds happening. While this can happen with any bearing, it’s just a touch more likely on a flat. The resolution: just learn to play better. Also, ain’t nothing wrong with a flat bearing.

2: CenterTrac bearings have the edges raised to keep the string away from the response pads, while the center portion stays flat for allowing natural movement of the string inside the gap.

3: KK bearings, or concave bearings in general try to keep the string centered in the gap. The downside is that with many string layers, they can bunch up on one side or the other, you you just need to be aware of that.

4: Grooved bearings, including Trifecta and Crucial Grooved. The groove keeps the string dead centered, but unlike the KK and CenterTrack, there is little chance for string movement, so bunching can become a big issue.

5: I am biased towards Terrapin X’s wing cut bearings. The slight cut in the center helps keep the string centered, but at the same time, the cut is so shallow that natural string movement is allowed to happen. It’s kind of the “best of both worlds” to an extent. It plays more like a flat(which I like), but also gives the string a better chance of being centered. However, these bearings tend to be a bit noisier than other bearings, but we’re talking about bearings being done for competition. Keep that in mind.

Regardless of my biases, if I feel something isn’t quite right or I feel something could improve, I’ll mess around with bearings. When I find what I feel is the best fit, that’s what goes and stays in that yoyo, be it a KK, CenterTrac, 10 Ball, Crucial Grooved or whatever. Always approach the situation with a clean slate and an open mind. Of course, some people are die-hard to a specific bearing, which is fine too. I’ve felt in my experience, the stock bearing has been the best bearing the majority of the time.

Also, a centered string on a bearing on a badly thrown yoyo isn’t going to do much for you. If your throw of the yoyo is bad, no bearing will help with that issue. If your throw isn’t straight and strong, no bearing will really give you the performance boost you think you’ll get with a new bearing. Once your throw is getting fairly consistent, that’s a good time to start thinking about experimenting with bearings if that’s something you feel you want to do.

I really like the supernova with a twisted trifecta bearing. It makes the yoyo literally feel faster for me. It makes the already very forgiving supernova even more good at correcting mistakes.

I’ve tried it with a ct for some reason I don’t thinks a good fit. I haven’t tried with anything else do I just keep a. Flat in mine.

The 10 ball is what 9 out of 10 yoyoers usually like.

But if you’re not into it, try a crucial grooved bearing.