What's everyone's go-to recommendation for new throwers?

I agree completely, it’s a crazy deal at $14 for a very good metal yoyo + 2 bearings, however this is out of stock everywhere that I’ve looked, and has been for some time. I wanted to get one of these to mess around with and I had to order mine from Japan!

(Technically it is the TopYo Creater, no idea why they spelled it that way, but they did… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

• I strongly DO NOT recommend the Velocity because that whole “adjustable gap” thing invites people to get into trouble tweaking the gap of their yoyo. It ends up not being particularly good at either responsive or unresponsive as a result… :frowning: Just start with a straight up dedicated responsive, if you turn out liking that, get a real unresponsive later, probably a decent metal one like Colossus or Silenus.

• I do like the First Base, and it’s cool that it comes with both kinds of bearings, but it’s always felt a tad overpriced to me at $20 for some reason. Being able to get a metal TopYo Creater for $14 is an illustration of that… however, if you can get a First Base for $15 or less, definitely go for it!

• I do think people should start out with a slim bearing / silicone pad responsive, which rules out the $5 Butterfly XT. Very inexpensive though!

• I’m also not a fan of the Whip because it just doesn’t have the right shape to me.

… that leaves the YYF One at $9.99, which is not appreciably any cheaper than the MagicYoyo K1 (unless buying in bulk) … so I’m going with that!

1 Like