What's been your hardest trick to learn

ive been trying to whip into a kamikaze mount for the last couple of days and ended taking a rough snap back to the elbow tonight, and was wondering what trick have you struggled with the most?

3 Likes

Sorry for being sarcastic, but it’s always going to be the one you are trying to learn

6 Likes

some tricks take me minutes to land others days. 1 full day to double or nothing but a ■■■■■■■ week to 1.5 mount

Still gunning for iwasawa tower

3 Likes

A few…Of course they all seemed hard at the time, and some are just so stupid simple (looking) but still end up being frustratingly hard to actually pull off. Here’s a few noteworthy tricks that gave me troubles:

Spirit Bomb (seemed hard at the time, now blow right through it)
Kamikaze (and Magic Drop)
Ladder Escape (I need to actually relearn this one as I forgot how it went)
Beefhook (I had it down but now it happens out of sheer luck).

3 Likes

Boingy boingy was the hardest thing ever for me as a young kid and it frustrated me to no end.

Iwasawa tower is one that also evaded me for years and provided many hours of anger haha

3 Likes

I totally forgot Boingy Boing…I probably felt the most salty about my inability to do it too. That said, it was 2011 and I was at my first yoyo contest with my brother. We both picked up some new yoyos (Spyy Stryker and a RecRev Fig 4, our first higher-end throws). I was showing my brother some stuff and told him about a trick I was working on, being Boingy Boing. I did not have a smart phone at the time so no Youtube to show him…I explained it to him and showed him the split bottom mount. Within a minute of him trying, he had it going…For that next couple of months, I was beyond frustrated that it just wouldn’t click with me. Then one day, it clicked.

3 Likes

Magic Drop was the bane of my existence for longer than I care to admit. Nothing has even come close giving me the type of grief it did. Once I got it though, I got it, the struggle was over. Now I look for tricks with a Magic Drop to show of all my hard work. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I’m trying to hit this trick but with three slacks instead of two.

I’ll let you know if I’m ever successful :smile:

3 Likes

Shotgun Beefhook is the one for me. That trick has made my blood boil with rage in the past. Every once in a while I’ll give it a go, but it still remains a flashy way to land in a brother mount [for me].

Jano’s Arcanum is one that I have never landed. I have he first 85% of the trick fairly consistent, but that last part is just not fun for me.

3 Likes

Bowie’s Revenge by Andrew Daugherty (took me half a year):

Ryota Ogi’s Slack Catch (took me 4/5 months):

3 Likes

I was playing with magic drops earlier on a responsive yoyo as now they’re just that easy (high walls help)…wanted to see if I could come up with anything. I do remember jumping onto Superman shortly after Spirit Bomb and Kamikaze/Magic Drop for that same reason - that “yeah, I can do it…” feeling.

3 Likes

I remember hook and brent stole seemed absolutely impossible for the longest time back when i was a beginner.

2 Likes

Magic Drop. Lol that thing took a long time. Also reverse brent stole. I just can’t do it xD

2 Likes

Neck stole was a pain, still evades me sometimes but not too difficult. The real pain is too get it consistent

2 Likes

Id like to know what is difficult for you now😉. Do you invent your own combos?

2 Likes

Boingy boing way back. I don’t know now though.

2 Likes

I hate reverse Brent stole. I busted my knuckles so many times learning it. I never learned anything that incorporates it, so I haven’t done it in a while(tried a few weeks ago, barely managed to do it once).

The most painful trick for me to learn was ninja vanish from brother/brother slack. I kept smacking my knuckles on the yo-yo, and every session I ended up bleeding rather profusely. A video by @EOS44 set me straight and I stopped hurting myself(my knuckles thank you) and finally got pretty consistent with it.

The most difficult trick for me to learn… Maybe Superflow. I was new to modern 1a (my previous experience was as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s), and that was the first trick that I felt beaten by when I picked yoyoing up again. Fairly recently I gave it a go again and it finally clicked.

3 Likes

I don’t hit my knuckles at all haha. The problem is that I know what I have to do but it seem I can’t get it consistent:(

2 Likes

I think I’m the only person who hurts himself with reverse Brent stole; I guess I’m special :rofl: I’m not even sure what I was doing that was causing it to bind and hit my hand—it would happen so fast.

2 Likes