What's a good vintage butterfly-shaped responsive yoyo with a starburst response?

I know a lot of modern yoyos for string tricks nowadays use rubber response pads, but call me a sucker for nostalgia. What’s a good yoyo that’s butterfly shaped, first existed around the 90s and early 2000s, has a starburst response(but it’s not too responsive in which it will snag the string), and capable of doing some intermediate and advanced tricks like the matrix, buddhas revenge, and skin the gerbil? On a related note, what’s your thoughts on the Spintastics Tigershark? Or are there better examples?

2 Likes

duncan butterfly is good and cheap

2 Likes

This is a good one, you may also like these;

and on the Auction Site, you can typically find SuperYo Renegades (a plastic 3 and 1)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313649601865?hash=item4906f91d49:g:dMYAAOSwtZJgkcUF

4 Likes

Any of these better than the other?

The Spinstar is quite good, but becomes absolutely amazing when you change out the plastic transaxle for a Loop 720 bearing and (green) spacers. Of course, that drives up the cost rather considerably, but if you already happen to have a Loop 720 (U.S. edition), then you can harvest its parts at no extra cost. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fast 201 was the first one that came to mind.

1 Like

Do they have to be green spacers? I’ve got extra red spacers I was thinking of trying

Sure, why not. I haven’t tried red spacers, and given how it plays with green spacers, my suspicion is that red spacers would yield too narrow a gap. But it’s worth a try!

1 Like

Tigershark was my first thought. It’s a little sharp where the pogs snap into the halves, but other than that, it plays very similarly to the Butterfly XT (which I don’t think is vintage enough to fit the constraints you listed).

1 Like

I’ll recommend a Yomega Stealth Raider

1 Like

Spintastics Tigershark, YYJ Dark Magic, Yomega Hyper Warp wing or Hyper Warp Heavy Wing all come to mind. I’ve had them all and they play good. You may find some on ebay occasionally. I still play my Tiger Shark.

4 Likes

The Saber Wings were pretty cool. For the tricks you are talking about there are tons of modern throws though. Plastic and metal, with pad response.

1 Like

This may sound crazy, but a Duncan Butterfly lol

3 Likes

The FAST 201 sounds interesting since it can also widen its string gap for more advanced tricks. Is its unresponsive mode good enough for intermediate tricks like skin the gerbil or cold fusion?

What makes me hesitant is that is it a durable yoyo? Will the starburst protrusions break off easily? Some people have mixed reviews over this yoyo cuz it has major low spin time and eats string(cuz it’s starburst).

The Renegade sounds intriguing due to its customization purpose, but I think I prefer something a bit more affordable and available.

I took a look on the shopping website. I like that it can become wider and less responsive. Will it be good enough for intermediate tricks like cold fusion or skin the gerbil if I use the unresponsive setting?

I’ll have to take a look at them. Actually, I’m aware that there are modern yoyos with response pads to pull off these tricks. But like I said, I’m a sucker for nostalgia

I know you don’t care for pads, but you have an option to tune your response with the pad system. It requires patience.
The Duncan Freehand Zero is good for old school string tricks.
All yo-yos are nostalgic.

1 Like

This may be the Startburst Yo-Yo you are looking for, YoYoJam Patriot .

2 Likes

If you can find one, get an OG Duncan Wheels. Fantastic yoyo that everyone seems to forget for some reason.

2 Likes

I learned cold fusion on a fast201. After that I bought a modern unresponsive plastic yoyo though (replay pro) to get the much longer spin times.

1 Like