What your most unpopular (disliked) throw in your collection?

For me it was two of them.

First, was a Yomega Exodus 2 that I got free In a trade, it was heavy and had those big rubber rims that hit pretty hard on return. I ended up giving it to a guy at work who had just bought a Fireball.

Second, a Duncan Skyhawk. This was an impulse buy earlier on and since I don’t play 4a it just sits. I could use it for 0A but it’s quite large. The bolt caps keep popping off and the response pads suck. I still have it buried in a case, just not sure what to do with for now.

Tell me about yours.

3 Likes

My Yomega Raider only because I don’t do looping. I don’t have any particular problem with it except for the fact that it isn’t made for 1A. Besides that maybe my MagicYoyo Stealth. Just… a bland yoyo in my opinion. Doesn’t have anything that special to it. That being said I’m also hesitant to insult it that much because what might be bland to me might be someone else’s favorite throw

3 Likes

Duncan Butterfly AL (2019 version). Personally, I couldn’t get it to do anything well enough to be worth using over a different yo-yo.

8 Likes

Freehand Nextgen. Not to be harsh or too blunt but it’s just literally an unresponsive plastic yoyo. There’s nothing within the design, shape or characteristics that makes it a freehand other than the name and the CW it comes with. It was just an impulse buy to go along with another throw I was purchasing, but I wish I had done some research first lol

4 Likes

Diamont Noir: Celestial and Ampoule

Reason: Gap Width a little too wide which create slippery bind

Another is Gaia by C3yoyodesign which is too sharp for 4A yoyo

2 Likes

Hubless doughnut: heavy with no advantages to being heavy (power or stability), also has a lot of center weight for being “hubless”.The Hanzo has a similar concept but plays way better.

Black Cannon: For some reason it just feels more punishing than other slimlines,the sharp angle on the rims in the catch zone and rounded rim on the outside is an “interesting” choice,if pocketability is #1 you might be able to put up with it’s quirks. Deep State is better in every way,or the Sliver,Slappa so many excellent slimlines.

Banshee mini wide: I don’t really know why I don’t like it, it feels wonky could be the bearing could be the width to dia ratio I don’t know. I like the spike. The Mini Covey is much better.

Vosun Titos: Very light feeling like throwing a styrofoam cup, i like the factory ano. Any Ti would have more power the Murder is pretty good,unless you like really light feeling Ti yoyos in this shape.

5 Likes

I didn’t like the Basecamp Sherpa because it was too loud when unresponsive due to the hollow body. I also could never get the response dialed in right in a responsive setup and it was too heavy to be a good 0A player. I wanted to like it so bad though.

Oh well, at least now I know I don’t like hollow metal yoyos.

3 Likes

My answer as well, I couldn’t believe how shitty it was lmao… and it’s at that weird price threshold where even if it WAS a good yoyo, people aren’t gonna buy it from you on the BST since the already low price makes the resale price so low you might as well just keep it to have an example of a horrendous playing AL throw

4 Likes

I received one as a gift (along with my first unresponsive yo-yo) and really liked it. It’s possible that the amazing player that gifted it to me just knew how to set it up right. I later picked up an Unknown one from the BST and didn’t like the way that played. I haven’t picked either up in a while though. Maybe I should compare them now.

man, what’s crazy is that 2019 butterfly plays excellent compared to a lot of stuff from my days in the early midschool years (96-2000). i like it better than the renegades and saber raiders I was throwing. but i’ve also moved away from semi responsive in the last year or so…

1 Like

Kind of a stretch to criticize a yoyo because it’s not designed specifically for what you want. :nauseated_face:

8 Likes

The YYF Boss gets my vote. Bought it because it was on sale and now I know why it was on sale. It’s a heavy mini throw that isn’t stable and hard to catch. IMHO the magicyo N8 is better.

1 Like

The Exodus II is the worst yoyo I’ve ever used.

4 Likes

I remember getting the Replay Pro several years ago, and being extremely disappointed lol.

4 Likes

Hmmm, that’s strange :thinking: I have completely different opinions about almost all throws mentioned in this topic so far.

Magic Yoyo Stealth: One of my favorite Bi-Metals. Very stable and powerful. Spins forever. Has a heft to it without feeling heavy which gives it a solid and reliable presence on the string. Excellent profile and finish for finger grinds and aesthetically pleasing cup which is also great for fingerspins.

Butterfly AL: I have almost every colorway they’ve released because it’s one of my favorite semi responsive throws of all time. I had to experiment with lubing a little bit but once dailed in it is now the only throw I have which is able to Shoot the Moon and also perform whip tricks with the same setup. I‘m actually pretty baffled how Duncan pulled that of with the design of this throw. It’s also oh so aesthetically pleasing to me.

Basecamp Sherpa: Almost the same as with the Butterfly AL. I only play it responsive (since I feel it was planned this way). I find the response to be perfect for longer string tricks while still having a reliable response (I‘d even call it just responsive as opposed to semi responsive because a simple tug is enough for a very predictable response). I like the hollow feel very much and the weight distribution the hollow design creates. I do own a lot of modern responsive metal and plastic throws. The Sherpa was my first one ever and when I throw it I‘m always thinking to myself ‚Man, my first one was already perfect for me‘.

Markmont Black Cannon: The most stable, fun and capable slimline, slightly undersized throw I have in my collection and I have a severe hunch for slimline throws. I actually also find it incredible how the designer(s) of this throw managed to make it that stable despite its specs.

Yoyofactory Boss: Although the SUS version of this throw is light years ahead I don‘t think the original one is brickish what so ever. I always had a great time throwing it and it‘s been my EDC for a very long time. The cup is also great for fingerspins in my opinion. It actually was my first throw I landed a Tornado Bind with.

I guess it goes to show how vastly different the feeling and approach towards a particular throw can be. But that’s also an aspect which makes Yo-Yoing so special and interesting to me because of it‘s individuality in almost all its aspects.

8 Likes

I put the second yo-yo in for ‘contrast’.

Pretty much the most disliked and worse yoyo I have is the Rev-G. The Company went to to whole lotta trouble and ended up with ‘Nothing’….with one exception. It really does make a nice yo-yo stand.

The guys that designed it certainly knew how to work with carbon fiber. The workmanship is actually not bad. But the designs’ functionality as a skill toy is almost non existent. Catching the yo-yo on a hard return……is pretty sad…

On the other hand, the Kamuraiju with a white Cerakote finish is a beautiful design from start to finish. The Kamuraiju is a perfect example of why One drop doesn’t need to even bother making bi-metals.

Both yo-yos in these pics are Beasts.

An adjective that obviously has two diametrically opposite meanings.

17 Likes

Yomega Maverick - It’s not responsive and it’s not unresponsive and I have some personal hatred for it because I got it when I was trying to get into yoyoing and it put me off yoyoing for some twelve years before I tried again.

1 Like

My one is the nine dragons by Yoyofactory, I found it in a mystery box and I don’t even know why I still have it and is not in the bin.
Basically wobbly, quite useless, very heavy, more or less unplayable, I never had fun with that thing :joy:

7 Likes

I mean it also rattles like all get out and I didnt say that I hated it, but you are right that it is a weird reason to criticize. However I am stubborn and refuse to change my opinion even if I am in the wrong.

1 Like

You’re the first person I’ve heard that disliked that yoyo. I internally kinda wondered how the shell around the actual yoyo would affect stability because the rotation of the yoyo in the air is what makes it stable I think, so it would make sense that it would be unstable. It’s just strange that you’re the first one I’ve seen to actually say that

1 Like