List your collection and say a few words about it

I know some of have so many throws you’d be here all day typing up a list. Completely understand if this is not for you.

For those of you with modest collections, feel free to list them out and give a few words as to how you gravitated to having a collection like this.

I personally trade constantly, some in the below list are coming in the mail. I’m big into responsive lately, which shows. I have a tendency to enjoy organics or throws with organic rims for a nice hand feel and soft catch (Ti-Vayder, Yeti, Pickaxe and Parlay) I also accept trades on things I don’t really want but think I can trade for something I can (FYFO). And who doesn’t love the original Genesis? lowerKase is just insanely good, the fact that it’s pocket friendly and made out of steel is just the cherry on top.

Unengraved TiVayder
20ehteen in Oak
Onedrop Deep State
Weekender
Daytripper
Onedrop Deeper State
YYR FYFO
OG Yoyofactory Genesis
CLYW Pickaxe
CLYW Metal Yeti
Onedrop Parlay
YYF lowerKase

14 Likes

I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track. It has a bunch more details on it but here’s just the model and brand columns. Have been throwing since 2009 but took a hiatus from 2013 to October 2020, when I started collecting again after getting back into it. You’ll notice I don’t have any Ti’s, something I hope to change this upcoming year!

MODEL BRAND
Grail A-RT (A Return Tops)
B7 A-RT (A Return Tops)
420 Lite A-RT (A Return Tops)
Speedaholic C3yoyodesign
Bastet II C3yoyodesign
Peak CLYW
Wooly Marmot 1 CLYW
Avalanche CLYW
Chief CLYW
Orca CLYW
Yeti 1 CLYW
Peak 2 CLYW
Peak 2 CLYW
Akita CLYW
Summit CLYW/One Drop
Summit CLYW/One Drop
Grasshopper GTX Duncan
Banshee G2 (G Squared YoYos)
Banshee SS G2 (G Squared YoYos)
5 Star General-Yo
Hatrick General-Yo
Ministar General-Yo
Essence General-Yo
KLR General-Yo
KLR General-Yo
Majesty General-Yo
Majesty 7075 General-Yo
Model 10 General-Yo
Model 10 General-Yo
Prestige General-Yo
Royal 1 General-Yo
Creep Heaven Sent
Creep Heaven Sent
Black Canon Markmont.
Classic Magnum Opus Markmont.
Kuntosh One Drop
Rally One Drop
Legendary Terrarian One Drop
Free Solo One Drop
Free Solo One Drop
Free Solo One Drop
Burnside 20/20 One Drop
Panorama One Drop
Panorama One Drop
Panorama One Drop
Panorama One Drop
Panorama One Drop
Panorama One Drop
Panorama One Drop
Panorama One Drop
Deep State One Drop
Deeper State One Drop
Aitch One Drop
First Base Recess
TA-1 RecRev
@ RecRev
f(X) RecRev
Skyy Chaser SPYY
Flash UNPRLD
Flashback UNPRLD
Dv888 YoYoFactory
888 B-Grade YoYoFactory
888 Splash YoYoFactory
888x YoYoFactory
Yuuksta YoYoFactory
Catalyst YoYoFactory
Avant Garde YoYoFactory
Protostar YoYoFactory
Severe (Delrin) YoYoFactory
Whistling YoYo YoYoFactory
Daydream YoYoFactory
Supernova YoYoFactory
Horizon YoYoFactory
Shutter YoYoFactory
Shutter Wide Angle YoYoFactory
Bi-Metal Shutter YoYoFactory
IQ YoYoFactory
Peregrine YoYoFriends
Hummingbird YoYoFriends
Vulture YoYoFriends
Dark Magic YoYoJam
X-ConVict YoYoJam
Trigger YoYoJam
Quest YoYoJam
Sunset Trajectory YoYoJam
Sunset Trajectory YoYoJam
Fiesta XX YoYoJam
Fake Grail
19 Likes

This is my current collection (I will insert the Koi this evening).
For each yoyo there is a description, for standard models Manufacturer - Name - Weight (soon I will insert the specifications measured with a micrometer) for the more particular ones a detailed description with sometimes references to discussions that I created here on the forum.
I have never traded or sold yoyo (with very rare exceptions that the fingers of a hand are enough to count them).
In this collection there is the one that in 12 years of time has caught my attention … some models I consider ordinary , some absolutely a disappointment, others authentic works of art… but they all stay with me, because they are part of the path that my life has made and each of them has a reason to be there.

Imgur

12 Likes

I decided I´m going to sell all my yoyos and keep only 4: 2 Unparalleled flashbacks and 2 wide angle shutters. Instead of focusing on collecting I´m going to focus on learning and progression. With these I can do virtually all tricks and I think that constantly changing yoyos in play is not good for your progression.

Besides, I prefer to collect things that gain more value over time.

11 Likes

@SR1 you have convinced me to get a Panorama asap. Great collection and thank you for sharing!

@persson I definitely wasn’t expecting what you provided, but I am so very glad you did. It must be delightful having so many amazing options. Reading through your descriptions, would it be accurate in saying the Sovereign was the biggest disappointment? On the flip side, the TiWalker is the best yoyo ever made?

Obviously everything is subjective, so just asking about your perssonal opinion

7 Likes

Thank you.
so, what I consider my worst metal yoyo in play is Token v1, because I think it is an object that has many more wrong aspects in its design than correct aspects … for a yoyo of that size I would have used a bearing D, successively I would never have put an M4 axis but much smaller and lighter and I would not have made such massive hubs (partly due to the axis), which was resolved in v2 ".
Most of the weight in that yoyo is placed in the wrong places, where it is not needed for rotation and stability but only for a feeling of unpleasant heaviness.
The worst I have among the plastic ones is undoubtedly L’Asteroid … mainly for the same reasons, weights positioned in a totally wrong way (between extremely thick caps, metal studs in the hubs area, etc). I managed to improve it by making two very perimeter SS rings mounted by interference under the caps, therefore invisible, now the yoyo has a game, let’s say decent, but it weighs more than the C3yoyodesign H5 … very tiring and not very performing.
As for the Sovereign, no, it is not a yoyo that has a disappointing game (or is my biggest disappointment) if you stop at this aspect, it becomes disappointing when you use it because you realize that it plays like a good enough yoyo, nothing more, I have many aluminum yoyos that have performance much higher than him … and therefore if you consider that it is made of titanium but above all that it has a mass distribution made in this extreme way …

sov sec

you would expect much more in terms of lightness on the string, rotation times , stability, ability to maintain direction in the changes, etc … but no, after three throws I always put it back in its place … just to tell you, Dietz himself plays enormously better.
The Ti Walker (and also the Ti Vayder necessarily) yes, they remain among the best yoyos I have ever tried, perhaps not in terms of performance only (some YYRs certainly remain more performing) but they certainly have an exceptional design, only light, fluid, stable, they never stop spinning and have that ringing sound that only titanium (especially if worked in thin thicknesses) can give you … for the years it has and the actuality of performance compared to what exists even today, the Ti Walker remains the “eternal evergreen”!

5 Likes

as you suggested i have too many in my collection to want to list (though nowhere near as many as some). broadly, it goes:
• no jives
(my favorite yo-yo of all time and the only one i actively collect. i think i have 90ish? still searching for an aspen… someday maybe.)

• modern metals/plastics
(buncha spyy, coreco, one drop, rso, old freehands and yoyojam, and just cool stuff from my friends.)

• wood and older yo-yo’s
(i moved all my tmbr into there the other day, but there’s also a bunch of bc, artifacts from past generations, modern wood, etc)

having this stuff on its own is pretty meaningless. i don’t think of myself as a collector, but i’ve definitely “accumulated” experiences and relationships which i associate with all of it. just a lot of memory tied up in it.

tonight though, that cabinet is getting locked up and my kid is hiding the key until 1/1/23. so i’ll be left with my deHcade (+2 backups) chilling in the higby tree on top. :slight_smile:

35 Likes

with how much it weighs, how small it is, and how much of that weight is concentrated on the rims I actually would expect the opposite; a high proportion of rim weight makes yo-yos feel like they play heavier in my experience. So it doesn’t surprise me a small yo-yo still weighing about 68g with nearly all of it concentrated on the rims plays dense.

Also just for some extra info, One Drop actually prototyped a lighter sovereign, around 66g (I’d have to weigh mine to be sure), that plays much more how you were expecting. It plays similar to A-RT throws like the Sparrow in how it’s light and maneuverable. While I haven’t played a production Sovereign, I personally think I would prefer the prototype over it because I enjoy those lighter feeling yo-yos. I can also see why they did bump the weight up for the production run considering the era it came out it as most yo-yos were heavier around that time, not to mention it is lacking a little bit in spin time/power

4 Likes

I very much appreciate the pictures and descriptions. The fact that we get to see this with what you have upcoming is, honestly I don’t have words (and my wife would say I’m the biggest nerd in the world for that, lol.).

Again, I’ll be going on my own personal journey by just using throws that shoot the moon. I’ll be using a 20ehteen I got from you (oak), day tripper, weekender, deep state (that I put some love marks on shooting the moon in the dark over concrete last night (the stars were beautiful though)) and a deeper state.

I have a mint YYR FYFO coming the mail that I will try to trade out for an alley cat or 650b and a Respawn or Respawn lite. If anyone is reading this that has those two wants to make that trade, hit me up, the dude shipped it to me today so I’ll have it next week (and I’m pretty positive it cannot shoot the moon.)

ed, if you stuck through my ramblings, would you recommend the OG alley cat or 650b for shooting the moon. Same question with the Respawn and Respawn lite. Thank you kindly and may God (or whatever source you find your strength in) be with you and the rest on your journeys in 2022.

7 Likes

Between those two the 650b will be better at shooting the moon, it has a tighter response than the original alleycat. As for the Respawn/Respawn light, neither has stuck out to me as particularly able to STM with their wider, more butterfly style profiles. The light might be better at it just because of its lower weight but I can’t say for sure. There’s also the AL7 Respawn light for you to consider, it’s weight falls in between the other two, but there’s not as many of those out there.

5 Likes

650b for sure - an ideal little moon-shooter!

10 Likes

Beyond collecting Unknowns really all I have is just whatever I need for different styles. 4A/soloham, 2A, 0A, and then a handful of unresponsive yoyos that I either have sentimental value towards or genuinely think they’re something special. 0A and 4A I both play a lot by the feel of the yoyo, so honestly I don’t have much desire to try anything else. I’m pretty stubborn about my preferences when I find things I like a lot lol. Some day I would like to get a fixie Blood Cell though.

JT Amulette / Kamui Lights
Jake Bullock Slim Dunk
Spinworthy responsives
G2 Banshee Proto
YYF Onestar
YYF Loop 720s
Reykjavik Freyja

11 Likes

(1) Green (2) Is (3) All

Banshee SS
Banshee AL7
Overdrive Draupnir
Duncan Tourney
Duncan Grasshopper GTX
Nostalgia
Endgame
Hummingbird
Rooster
Batsquatch
Puff Adder
Rev 2
Legendary Terrarian
Mori
Kuntosh 5000 QV
Magpie
MKT
Mayhem
SF
Gauntlet
Author
Ko’Olau Edge
Exit 8
Freehand AL
Freehand One AL
Masamini
Freehand Mini
Popstar
Deep State (green/black)
Deep State (green/orange)
Deep State (green/red)
Executive
Raptor
Barracuda
Good & Evil 3
BeBoo L1
Strix
California
Navigator
Moonshine
Sherpa
Node
Expedition
Phat Phaktor
Butterfly AL
Metal Zero
Firedevil
EZ Spin SP
Shutter Wide Angle
Hitman Professional
Henrys M1
Antidote
Wedge
Freehand Next Gen
Replay
Big Fun
Loop 2020
ProYo (w pro z guts)
Yeti 2.0
2x Freehand Zero
2x Butterfly XT
Satalite
Dollar Store yoyo (modded with C bearing)
Whip

—edit—
Also, I love you guys! A lot of these have been gifts from people here on these forums! :green_heart:

Gifts:

Whip
Modded Dollar Store Yoyo (very cool!)
Yeti 2.0
Big Fun
Replay
Henry’s M1
Firedevil
Rev 2?? (I can’t for the life of me remember where this one came from!)
Phat Phaktor
2x Freehand Zero
Satalite
Butterfly AL
Author (won it!)
Gauntlet
Mori
Banshee SS

You guys rock!

23 Likes

Guys, come on.

Photos or it didn’t happen!

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

But which shade of green do you like the most? Normal vivid green, dark forest greens, blueish greens, yellowish greens? Hard mode: not choosing to say all greens are best.

5 Likes

Thanks for your considerations, they are correct but, actually … when I play with the Dreadnoght G, despite its 80 gr. and the difference in mass mainly found on the rims compared to the Dreadnought, that feeling of “heaviness for its own sake” or slowness in the game I do not perceive as substantially as on the Sovereign.
But the main point is another, when I buy a titanium yoyo, a material that allows a designer to be able to optimize and maximize performance in a much more thorough way, I expect it to have better and superior characteristics than those of aluminum yoyos … otherwise it wouldn’t make sense to use this more expensive and performing material, right?
I find this aspect in the other (few) titanium yoyos I own but not for the Sovereign and hence the disappointment … I have never seen or had the opportunity to use the 66 gr prototype, but I don’t think those two grams in the less they would have made a big difference,.
From my point of view (also thanks to comparisons I can make with other yoyos I own) the main problem with this yoyo is an incorrect weight distribution, which when placed so imposingly towards the outside becomes more a disadvantage than an advantage.
However, it remains an superb example of processing.

3 Likes

Actually red is my favorite. As can clearly be seen here.

But aside from red…a dark forest green really gets my heart fluttering! :green_heart: :green_heart:

Also, a lot of my yoyos are teal…but they’re close enough to green that they don’t hurt my eyes. lol

10 Likes

You have to find a Koi, a breathtaking green! :wink:

p.s. I’m color blind, it’s true you love red !!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Here’s my collection in sequential order since July '19:

YoTricks Sage - My first unresponsive. Is no longer with us. RIP

One Drop Top Deck - My first metal/premium. Still my favorite to this day. Best yoyo ever.

Basecamp Sherpa - Wanted to try a metal responsive. I prefer to play it unresponsive these days. Good trainer.

YYF Metal Arrow - I wanted a glow-in-the-dark throw. Got a b-grade during a-may-zing sale.

C3 Speedaholic XX - My first premium plastic. Sage wasn’t cutting it for my plastic needs.

Rebellion Invaders Must Die - My first (and only) bi-metal. Wanted to see what all the bi-metal fuss was about. This thing is a pure performance beast.

Recess Komodo - Wanted something in silver/clear. My beloved beater. Has the most soul.

One Drop Legendary Terrarian - Being a fan of Terraria, I always wanted one. Saw the Saturday Market drop and had to get it. Awesome.

Recess First Base - Always wanted one. Finally in-stock, couldn’t pass up. Favorite plastic.

Yoyofriends Sync - Wanted something that played exactly how I would expect a modern metal yoyo to play. Very balanced, as the name suggests, and very capable.

MagicYoyo Skyva - Got bored with the Speedaholic XX and traded for it. Nice performance plastic.

GWAY Daredevil - Won in a giveaway. My first D bearing throw. Nice lightweight performer.

One Drop Dang2 - My “medium” One Drop (Top Deck being heavy/rim-weighted and Terrarian being light and agile). This, like the Sync, has a very neutral feeling. Feels perfect to me with the OD 10 Ball bearing. One of my favorites, for sure.

iYoyo x HSpin Pyro X - Wanted a full-sized organic that was also built for performance. Very comfortable, powerful and stable.

5 Likes

One Drop:

2 Rebirths - 2 because, well, I’ve wanted a project 2 since over a decade ago and this is the most similar but modern playing alternative.

MCMO - Nickel plated adds to the awesome

Nitro - super sick little speed monster of an organic

MCM purple Classic - ano flaws but smooth as glass, this is my daily driver

Free Solo - makes my combos feel short. Competition throw, silly how stable this thing is

(Duncan) MayheM - made by one drop, organic, winning formula

The rest

Gway Daredevil - snappy, light

RCS Author - stupidly good, i cant tell its spinning half the time

C3 Cyber Crash - smooth, but boring

2Sick Grandmaster - fake fat suit, plays light and slow, fun one

OG YYF Genesis - my old pride and joy from around 2010, believe this and the skyline are MIUSA, impressively has aged very well

OG YYF Skyline - the most unforgiving throw i have. Goes too fast when you dont want it to and tilts super easy. For nostalgia, i love it.

YYF 44 - interesting

Recess Snack - smol brick

10 Likes