What was your most influential yoyo?

The yoyo is the main thing. Maybe save the string in a little bag and find a new string and do a little maintenance to freshen it up. Same yoyo but you’ll have just taken it to a car wash and vacuumed it and hung a new air freshener from the rear view mirror.

That’s a good way to look at it. Until this morning, I had never thought about trying to clean the bearing and that could make a noticeable difference in the spin times. I would be nice to be able to do more tricks with this yoyo, especially since it’s so pocketable.

3 Likes

I hadn’t played yo-yo for at least 40 years. I was at a discount Store (Ollies) they had Duncan Limelights for $3. I took a chance and bought one. Went home, relearned a few tricks, and found a couple vintage throws in deep storage. It all rekindled my interest.

I’d have to say my most influential yo-yo is that Limelight.

9 Likes

Aaah!!! What vintage yoyos did you dig out? Let’s see some pics!!!

1 Like

The Duncan butterfly - 70s version. My companion from 6th grade and the first yo-yo i spent serious time on. Then in the late 80s i discovered the Tom Kuhn No-Jive. I doubt i’d be here today if not for that little piece of “flying furniture”.

4 Likes

Unfortunately a “couple” not “several” or “many”.

The only surviver from my Elementary school days is a Gold Medal Imperial. I remember having others but they were the typical drug store variety. My yo-yo de jour was always an extremely well thought out purchase with my hard earned money and a few found pennies.

I never was the kid with the coolest toys. In any event, they are long gone.

In box, I found two Yomega Fireballs and a Wooden Blackbird which I have no clue where they came from. I opened a fireball, but the others are still in original packaging.

Wish I had a better story.

2 Likes

The most influential for me was the Yomega Hyper Warp Heavy Wing.
I remember buying it before I knew what unresponsive play was and had trouble getting a consistent return.
Then I found the online forums, learned how to bind, and that opened up a whole new world to me.
I learned all the unresponsive basics on that yoyo. I’m still super sad I traded it away.

3 Likes

The “coca cola” style Russell yo-yo is a big deal:

An example of the promotional view, is the Coca-Cola Russell yo-yo craze that swept across the globe in the 1980’s and gave a lot of the current generation of yo-yo players their start. In this period professional Russell demonstrators took the craze to 95 countries, with yo-yo models reflecting most of the soft drinks produced by the Coca-Cola company.

5 Likes

Duncan butterfly was my first… most influential as of late has to be the ti-vayder. Still eyeballing the bst for one but someday.

1 Like

This will come as a surprise to no-one, but Superwide.
I love the shape, the size is just right for me, it looks like a bell.
I knew I had to have one when I saw pics of it.

The TK Silver Bullet! It set the bar high for me as a kid. Nothing else at the time (1980’s) could compete. Why aren’t they still being made? Or at least others like it now?

2 Likes

For me it would have to be the yyj hitman, being a big JD fan back in the day made this a grail purchase for me, and to this day i still love the throw even though i have gone through about 10 of them due to stress cracking.

2 Likes

Wow good post. For me was the raider saber raider and fireball the throws that got me into the game. They were at the time big deal. Now im just bimetals hahah

Oh man i had one they were awesome yomega was hot for awhile wish they can make throws like today. Imagine a raider upgrade

1 Like

My fellow early 2010s yoyoers will know

6 Likes

I believe you can still get SB2s at Tom Kuhn’s website.

2 Likes

The fact that you stuck with yoyoing after the Zombie is a testament to your will power good sir.

This is the only Zombie I can rock.

4 Likes

Got to be the Terrarian for me. Never played the eponymous videa game, but I got mine second hand from someone on the Reddit BST in… 2015 or 2016? It was my first ‘good’ unresponsive.

Honorable mention goes to the Silenus I got from Rewind a few weeks earlier. My first unresponsive and also a very good one. Nothing prestigious for sure, but important to me personally.

12 Likes

the silenus is one of my all time favorite throws. Plays way above its price

7 Likes

Terraria also plays above the price.

4 Likes