What was your first budget metal?

Like @jhb8426, I think my first “budget” metal was the Duncan Metal Zero. Which, honestly, was probably the first budget metal at all. I remember everyone was pretty excited about it when the rumors showed up about the price.

That said, it was a pretty cruddy yoyo. I wasn’t impressed. Thought that has to be view in the context of my general “meh” opinion of most of the small-bearing Duncan plastic yoyos.

7 Likes

Gold YYF Shutter (current 2018 vintage).

3 Likes

Red horizon

1 Like

myy n8

2 Likes

Myy m002

3 Likes

Wow LOL! If it was around 1999, the famous (and expensive) metal yoyo then was the Playmaxx Cold Fusion and similar metals from Playmaxx, that’d be my guess.

4 Likes

Oh boy this is going to date me, a Yomega Metallic Missile. I believe it was $25 and I thought man that’s a lot for a yo-yo.

4 Likes

So I am not sure what constitutes a budget metal. But first metal Yo-Yo was the prototype for the Silver Bullet 1. Didn’t even know it was a prototype until meeting Tom Kuhn at a club meet up and he flipped when he saw it. Pretty sure my dad had that for less than $20 in the 80’s. He got it before I got into Yo-Yoing which spawned our collecting. Then in 2000 I got a red and black anodized SB2. I forget how much those were back then. Maybe around $70 which was crazy money for a Yo-Yo back then. Of course I (my dad, I was invited High School) bought a Cold Fusion when it came out which was in no way a budget Yo-Yo at the time. This year I got a Shutter which is my first “modern” Yo-Yo as I stopped playing for 16 years.

4 Likes

Let us not forget the glory that was the SuperYO Samurai. $130 would put this baby in your 1999 pocket.

4 Likes

Wow cool!

It was this innovation [first ceramic bearing] that allowed Matt Owen to set a former long sleeper record of 12 minutes 2 seconds on October 23rd, 1999. Its 2.1.0 construction makes it so that there are no parts to be lost.

3 Likes

Umm… do you know the significance of this? I don’t have the drive to Google it. I can do it tomorrow if you don’t know what this means.

2 Likes

Solid “2.1.0” design – that is, 2 halves, 1 ball bearing, and 0 parts to lose.

I guess the axle was machined into one of the halves?

Looks more like it was soldered in or otherwise mechanically attached to me, that makes sense as a machined aluminum axle would be… err… bad.

5 Likes

Thank you, sir.

3 Likes

Yoyofactory hectic. 65$ was budget back in the day

3 Likes

Shinwoo Zen 3. It had an interesting shape and played like a rock, but I loved it.

2 Likes

Me too! Man in hindsight only slightly better than the metal drifter.

2 Likes

I used to own one of these and it tried to kill me. So I gave it to the neighbor and now it sits on a shelf, safely.

4 Likes

Wow, some people started on some really nice yoyos. Good for you guys! I couldn’t convince myself, nor my parents, to let me spend $30 on a yoyo for nearly a year after I got into the hobby (I’m pretty cheap).

5 Likes

I operated under that rule for a few years. $30 was my absolute limit. Then Anti-yo came out with the Fluchs and I had to have one.

4 Likes

Keep in mind that not every answer here is to the question: ‘What was your first yoyo?’ The conversation was just about your first ‘budget metal’.

Lot’s of folks started on plastics.

5 Likes