What video would you show a kid to get ‘em into yo-yoing?

Well I can tell you what video made me really get into this hobby. I must strat by stating that since I was a kid I really wanted to yoyo. I think I saw it on TV or something but from a really young age I really wanted a yoyo. The problem was that I lived in Romania and we didn’t have any yoyo store or something. For years me and my parents where looking for a yoyo. I hade some things that may look like yoyos (like a ball with an elastic that you can bounce up and down I bought tones of this at carnavals they where the closest things I got to a yoyo in my childhood) one time I received a really crappy responsive yoyo at a magazine that I was incredibly happy about. Unfortunately the string was glued to the axel so the yoyo didn’t sleep at al so you couldn’t do walk the dog :frowning: . But nothing serious. I grew up and kinda forgot about my passion for yoyo and the desire to have a proper one. Until one day when I was I think 13 or 14 and I saw this video :

It immediately remained me of my desire of having a yoyo and after I saw what you can do with one I couldn’t believe my eyes. But now I wasn’t a kid in an ex comunist country any more now I had the internet and with this magical thing I managed to finde some information. I learned about respoive and unresponsive yoyos. I read that for biginers is recommended a responsive yoyo at firs. But i really wanted to do the tricks in the video. And I couldn’t afford to buy a responsive yoyo and after that un unresponsive yoyo. So I decided to buy an unresponsive yoyo and learn how to do a bind. And if I couldn’t do a bind I couldn’t do any of the hard tricks anyway so I set my mind on buying an unresponsive yoyo. With all my internet skills I managed to finde someone that was selling some yoyos online … And look at that it was in my city. What a joy. After I talked with my mom about it she agreed to get me one. In a few days she meet with the man that was selling the yoyo when she was coming home from work and bought my first yoyo: a red yoyofactory grind machine. I loved it and in just a day learnd how to do a binde and many other tricks. Sorry for the long story but when I read the question I really remembered this video and how it made me get my first yoyo and started this passion for me.

5 Likes

I would show them Duncan’s how to be a player volume one of course. Just found my copy just the other day.
You can watch it on YouTube.

3 Likes

This is one of my favorite yoyo performances ever.

3 Likes

Probably a video with a kid around the same age. Wil seem more doable.

1 Like

Normally I don’t “try” to get a kid into yoyoing. I just play for myself, and then when someone sees it and got interested, I will then guide them and answer their questions.

But that being said, the video that got me into yoyoing was Shinji 2006.

2 Likes

These are the videos I would share for people who are new to yoyo.

3 Likes

This one!

1 Like

Save Deth vol 1

1 Like

This video came out off top of my head. I think it will greatly inspire to the kids

2 Likes

can verify this works on kids. This is quite literally the exact same youtube link that got me into yoyoing in 2012-3 when I was younger. After that I remember these 3 keeping me hooked.

4 Likes