What video would you show a kid to get ‘em into yo-yoing?

So I tried to find something with the search function but had a tough time. Figured I’d just start a new topic to ask since maybe I’m not the only one gifting some youngsters yo-yos at this time of year.

Looking for a video that I could show kids in the 5-10 range that would show them the possibilities of the yo/inspire them. If anyone has any favorites or something they think would help I’d appreciate it.

6 Likes

I would show the first video I made of myself attempting and finally landing “man on a trapeze”.
After seeing that video anyone would say wow I can do that way better than him and immediately want to try. Lol

1 Like

Two came to mind!

My journey to yo-yo mastery | BLACK

This performance showcases some pretty standard unresponsive tricks performed in an incredible way to music. And later, some great 2a. One of my favorites to watch when I was picking up yoyo again a couple years ago.

26 Levels of Yo-Yo Tricks: Easy to Complex | WIRED (ft. Harrison Lee)

This more recent video is a good illustration of different complexity levels in yoyo.

9 Likes

This is the video I show beginners.

7 Likes

This one, the flow is god tier and the music on point. Fav video for sure.

Edit…my little brother now wants to learn after watching this :rofl:

5 Likes

This one always gets kids super pumped for yoyo.

7 Likes

Some might see my same comment in other thread but to me this is all time yoyo best videos that just straight up show the community and how players with different style gather up in the big day. Simpson Wong release this straight up 10 years ago and this never gets old. Another one is by Brian Low haha

6 Likes

I think this is very enjoyable to watch.

Shout out to @bjardin

6 Likes
6 Likes

Fun for everyone.

3 Likes

I would like to show also a video of every category to show the variety of the disciplines, you never know maybe this person will prefer 2a for example, when I started I discovered all myself slowly but will be great to “educate” beginners in all the discipline that exist and then they can choose their one/ones

2 Likes

I really liked this video, I thought it explained a lot of the appeal of yoyo. It’s way more than just tricks which I think helps a lot. It answers the question of “why pick up and stick with yoyoing?” beyond just “tricks look cool.”

7 Likes

Good choices.

1 Like

2019 4a yo-yoing world championship first place

3 Likes

Every time I show anyone a video the 1st video is always this one

The pure joy of throwing in every frame that was used. It seemed toward the end is was a total freestyle connecting tricks and elements like notes from a free jazz performance

Most are mystified.

7 Likes

I used to show people a video from 2005 WYYC I think. Song was kisses are poison but is was someone’s personal clips of out side the performance stage, in the lobby, in the halls and corridors of the hotel. It was a good video showing different styles of play. Really would like to have it on que on my YouTube.

I bet the YYE boss has it somewhere he was featured in it quite a bit.

2 Likes

For kids who are into video games, this one is smooth!

3 Likes

Thank you guys these are all super helpful :heart:

1 Like

If one of the kids interested in yoyoing, I would show this video to them. Even they don’t know Japanese but they get the interaction from the actors and it has sfx too to get even more hooked up :rofl:

2 Likes

Mickey’s 2005 Worlds routine blew my mind in 2009 and got me into yoyo.
Oldie but a goodie.

3 Likes