What throws were people generally using when Kickin' Tricks came out?

The maintenance for this thing back in the day was really just play with it alot so the starburst wears down and it will get more unresponsive. Can use slimmer strings and clean the bearing too.

1 Like

Could you potentially get the same result quicker by stroping the walls on some denim?

Maybe if you’re going for faded jeans as well, lol.

1 Like

I keep a pant leg around to strope knives and my straight razor. And a fresh one in some dark corner of my closet from when I cut this one off the thrift store jeans, lol.

Wow guys, thanks for all the responses. Especially for those magazine scans. Those are dope! I’m gonna try to pick a few of these up if I can find them for cheap enough. Recently I’ve been challenging myself to do as many modern tricks on old school yoyos as possible. I haven’t picked up a modern yoyo in a few weeks now. Not for nothin, but this has been a really fun challenge to myself.

I love my renegade so much, I have the same black first run (can tell by the hexagonal nut, 2nd run and beyond had a star nut); it holds up surprisingly well to this day, playing very capably. I wish I still had my old white one from back in the day but I must’ve sold it or included it as a free extra in a trade down the line.

Will do soon and follow up. It’s a really nice feeling yo-yo in the hand, feels very premium for a plastic, it has a nice weight to it.

Thanks, the issue that I’m having is that it’s not responding properly, likely because the bearing dried out from being in the package for 23 years :joy:. I’ll just need to take some time to put grease in the bearing. I’ve had so little time to do maintenance on yo-yos lately that I’ve taken up fixed axle; and loving it. But I’ll have to take the time to work on this one a bit.

2 Likes

Be sure to clean out the old grease first! I threw some thick lube in an old NOS Silver Bullet II bearing and in about 10 seconds of spin a bunch of dark brown crust coated the end of my string! T’was grody.

3 Likes

I think I just received a few off Evil Bay. Including an Ebony. It weighs 92 grams!

1 Like

I had an ebony, African wenge, an a teal with out any markings or inlays I wish I had not lost the ebony, I gave the other 2 away as gifts. I will look on the e place thank you

1 Like

Oh man, I bet that Wenge looked amazing.

1 Like