What should my 6th yoyo be?

I’m in the range of beginner/intermediate but I’m willing to look into options for any level. Started out with plastics and my mind was blown when I first switched to metal. I feel like I might miss out on a lot of the cool throws out there in the metal realms and am looking for recommendations. I like to keep switching between throws for practice and different feels.

What I have: Luftverk Plastic Fulvia, iyoyo Shooting Star, YYF Shortcut.
What’s coming in the mail: Yoyofactory R-type, YYF Paragraph

I’m wondering what element is missing in my collection. A yoyo shape I haven’t tried, missing speedy throws, etc. My budget is anywhere from 30-100 USD

4 Likes

Something organic is something i don’t see in that list.

Or something undersized

2 Likes

Of the ones you have so far…do any stand out to you as more liked?

1 Like

Shortcut is the one I liked the most. But it’s the only metal I’ve tried so I’m unsure. But also, I’m looking for a throw that’s unique compared to what I will have, not necessarily what I would like entirely. just for variety’s shake

4 Likes

Gotcha. I was thinking a good premium version of your favorite shape but you are still exploring shapes. Definitely as Alex mentioned…something organic. There is already a thread on here with much discussion about good and available organic. I am very partial to organic H and V hybrids. Super comfy shape and good performance combined.

Shortcut is super good so you’re in a good spot. I recommend something slimline like the one drop panorama or diorama, also there is the new recess firecracker that will most likely be on yye eventually. These kinds of yo-yos are less forgiving than what you have now and force you to play cleaner and less sloppy. Getting one when I was a beginner/ early intermediate player really helped me tighten up my technique and improve my skills. Very grateful I got one as early as I did so the bad habits I didn’t even realize I was doing weren’t very hard to correct.

4 Likes

G2 Loadout.

Its gonna be your new favorite throw.

2 Likes

Wasn’t the loadout preorder only?

I second the slimline or organic options.

A lot of folks here love the modern responsive yoyo style (myself included), so a good slimline would be great to get you rolling on that path. Its tough to imagine what responsive yoyos are really capable of until you start to find the right folks pushing these yoyos to their maximum capabilities, then your mind will be blown at what you can do. I also personally feel like modern responsive yoyo tricks help build a great foundation for 1A. Definitely great to learn to stall, thats like yoyo 101 in my book.

Lots and LOTS of good options in this category but you cant go wrong with the Layer Infinity Kasm if you want to keep this throw at a reasonable budget.

Organics are fun yoyos, but it does depend what you like about your yoyos. Definitely add some to your collection at some point, but there is probably nothing much you can do with an organic that you cant do with the shortcut or the shooting star. Its just for fun factor not really to expand your capabilities like a responsive slimline would.

A snack would hit that undersized pocket throw space if it’s a niche you want to explore cheap.

Maybe an Origen for some responsive vibe

ditch for the unres undersize and slimline bridge instead of the snack maybe

Also something organic just to try it a first base ir plastic 000 would be a cheaper taste of a decent organic

I’m also all about trying various types of play so a pair of dragon ball or blitz ball loopers would be a neat addition or a used beater 4a throw if you want to dabble into some x div stuff a bit.

Your also in that very normal weight range right now you could play with some light or heavy yo-yos

Lots of options if your really looking to branch out otherwise your set if you just want to play 1A for now and learn new stuff

1 Like

The r-type is such a good throw! You’re going to love it.

Organic shape as mentioned above would be fun to have. If you like plastic, find the Luftverk triple zero, super fun throw. if you want something metal hunt down markmont classic magnum opus.

Panorama/Diorama is a good option for something different than what you already have and I agree the slimline shape helps with sloppy play. I have a Panorama and it’s one of my favorites. It’s not so unforgiving that it’s frustrating but just enough to keep you in check and it super satisfying to hit difficult tricks on.

Other than that, I’d say get some more One Drops. I haven’t played a OD I didn’t love. They just have a certain feel to them that I really click with.

Here’s a bunch of other cool brands to check out to send you down a rabbit hole…

G2 or MonkeyfingeR (if you can find them and have the budget), Motion, Yoyofriends, Yoyorecreation, Recess, Good Life, Mowl, C3, GWAY, General Yo, TopYo, Dressel Designs, MK1, TRT, ZGRT, CLYW, Static Co, Rain City, Freshly Dirty… uhh… there are so many and I’m probably forgetting some right now but that’s a good start :laughing:

Good luck and have fun!

2 Likes

Get yourself a Fat Tire 20/20. It’s an oddball that’s super fun to play.

4 Likes

I don’t have a specific yo-yo recommendation, but I would suggest trying a yo-yo made with 7075 or 7068 aluminum. They feel significantly nicer than 6061 aluminum yo-yos to me.

1 Like

Yes.

There are many great bi-metals in your price range.

Better yet, see if the upcoming Nucleon run sells at the same anniversary release price.

4 Likes

Hear me out
Buy an Avalanche
Let me cook.

The iyoyo iceberg was my 6th or 7th yoyo. I know you might not want hybrids until you get more monometals, but it’s always a good recommendation for your first hybrid.