What separates a Beginner and an intermediate

Ive seen a lot of threads and also videos discussing what’s best for beginners and intermediate yoyo players but none ever define what each one is as a whole.

My question is, in your opinion what seperates someone from being a beginner vs being intermediate? Is it a trick threshold? Maybe it’s amount of time and effort put in?

Dish out that tea, I wanna know what you think.

2 Likes

It’s definitely the yoyo itself. The more expensive… the better you become. That’s what Brandon Vu, Gentry Stein and all the pros are SCARED to admit and don’t want YOU to know! :triumph::triumph::triumph:

10 Likes

DOWN WITH BIG YOYO. They can’t keep hiding the truth from us.

4 Likes

I think its a basic trick difficulty level but even more than that how smoothly you can yoyo if that makes sense.
If your tricks still look very rough and every element is one after the other instead of flowing smoothly then beginner.

I transition from beginner to intermediate every time I learn a new trick🥲

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter really imo. It’s unproductive to try to define skill levels bc it’s so relative.

13 Likes

I know only that I know nothing!

Intermediate/beginner/master/etc can be helpful tutorial labels to get an idea of how hard the trick is gonna be to learn, but usually I can look at the trick and decide if its in my skill level or not. If so I go for it! I have learned a couple tricks that I initially thought “that looks way too hard for me!” but they had really good step by step tutorials with multiple angles and very clear string placement/movements.

It’s all so subjective though like you said.

3 Likes

In my humble, non profession, casual throwers personal non confrontational opinion:

If you are willing to devote time to learning a trick to the point you no longer have to think of each step you have gone from beginner to intermediate for that specific trick.

Mastery is when it all becomes second nature, and a throwers ability to transition from one set of tricks to another with creative elements that make things your own.

Oh yes and the yo-yo Illuminati level when the Illuminati invite you into the inner sanctuary and you are magically given the ability to do any trick any time with any throw.

Everyone have a great weekend

4 Likes

If you finish Fixed Axel February and Modern Responsive march, you are intermediate. Of you arent ready to start them, you are a beginner :joy:.

2 Likes

Just talking about 1A I’d put it like this:

Beginner: You are somewhere between learning how to bind or throw a trapeze and do elements like a Brent Stole, GT, and so forth

Intermediate: You can perform all/basically all the most advance tricks on this website, all of which are very old.

Advanced: You can incorporate elements and parts of tricks you’ve learned from others to create your own tricks as well as learn just about any trick you’ve seen anyone else perform, provided there’s a decent tutorial.

Competition ready: You can create a multiple minute long routine that you are comfortable performing on stage

Professional: Your routine is developed around a specific song and your performance is consistent so you are landing the right tricks at the right time to impress the audience.

1 Like

How natural your breakaway throw looks.

This is a very apparent and surefire way to instantly tell if someone uses their yo-yos or not.

5 Likes

I agree with Henry on this just enjoy throwing don’t label yourself and others skill level. I try to break kids at club of this cause it’s rude to ask done hey can you do this. Ohh you’re not very good then. Words 8year olds have said several times to new folks.

6 Likes

If boingy boing does not excite you anymore, you are intermediate.

Mic drop…

6 Likes

I can only do very basic midschool style tricks, and I mean very basic.
On more than one occasion, nonyoyoers have asked what my world ranking is. :joy:

It really depends what circle you’re in. As you get better and enter a higher tier circle, you will again be at the bottom of that particular group. This is true in every domain.

As something as subjective as yo-yo, I think it’s very difficult to define.

1 Like

Agree.

1 Like

:laughing::laughing::laughing: man the day I land a REAL boingy boing, all springy and all, i might literally cry out of joy :sweat_smile:.

We should institute an official boingy boing line to determine between beginner and intermediate lol. The man speaks the truth :100:!

3 Likes

Just ask your girlfriend. If you still have a girlfriend, you are still a beginner.
Just kidding. Anyways, look at the learning section here, can you do intermediate tricks?

4 Likes

The DNA

1 Like

Dunno. But I do know what separates the Men from the Boys

…AGE!

1 Like

The day you realize the DV888 is a piece of junk.

3 Likes

Then I’ll always be a beginner

4 Likes