Beginner to Intermediate?

I was curious as to when you would call yourself intermediate as opposed to a beginner? I’m mid 30s getting back into it from when I was younger (proyo years, the bumblebee was my jam) and right now I consider myself a beginner. I’m through double or nothing on the the first 50 tricks (I can also do boingy boing, I jumped ahead for that one!). Just curious as to when you would say you made the jump from beginner to intermediate.

3 Likes

As someone who thinks he’s intermediate but is altogether unsure himself I think being intermediate means being able to do a combo of tricks that lasts like at least 45 seconds consistently (let’s say like 75% of the time). That’s where I’m at and it feels right to call myself a mid-level player

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking! I was thinking when I could string together some stuff. Maybe when I’m simply through the 50 tricks I graduate :joy:

2 Likes

Fair. But you got to be able to do them consistently. I’ve been learning that consistency matters more than scope of tricks known because consistency means the tricks have actually stuck in your head

3 Likes

That makes sense. When you can just do them without thinking.

2 Likes

I only been doing this under a year but learned some pretty hard tricks and idk there is no good way about it bc it’s not all dependent on tricks or anything it’s also like Yoyo knowledge and there is still some really simple basic stuff I don’t know yet so I think I gotta keep saying beginner I don’t know tho that seems weird too tho bc I do have some hard tricks locked up 9/10 consistent so idk good question. I try to avoid it now like I don’t need a name bc it’s all so fluid

4 Likes

Yea I agree, it’s all for fun and hobby anyways!

3 Likes

If you’re good enough to combo you are an average yo-yo player in 2023

2 Likes

This is what I was thinking before I posed the question. Seems like the logical progression

2 Likes

Then again even an average player is a “professional” in a non yoyoers perspective. So it’s all subjective

6 Likes