What’s your go to video setup?

What is your choice for recording yo-yo videos at home.

Whether it’s a single trick video, or a tutorial, or a freestyle, or a how to video>

Do you use a:: Cellphone….Go Pro….Video camera…. Camera with video mode…. etc.

If you use a camera, what lens do you use?

4 Likes

phone on the table propped up between a couple drinking glasses has been good enough for trick a week. Getting a better video setup isn’t gonna make my playing any better so I’m cool w what I have.

5 Likes

I put a phone in a chair and try and get that 1-in-100 shot without being interrupted at work

2 Likes

Cell phone. I’m no pro

2 Likes

Got one of these for Father’s Day. Excited to try it out.

9 Likes

Super basic phone mount setup with my iphone 11. If I’m recording it’s usually in the morning while I’m making breakfast or just generally waking up, so coffee and water are nearby.

I like having the camera placed at a decently high angle because it means you can record with less space (and I don’t really like being on camera a whole lot.) With a more straight-on angle it can be hard to get the camera far enough away to get everything in the shot, and it’s hard to find a place with enough distance to film comfortably. It’s a lot easier to find a high shelf to place a small phone mount on. It’s also kinda nice because it’s easier to parse what’s happening during tricks imo. I’ve definitely gone back and looked at my own videos from time to time to remember how a certain trick I filmed in the past worked.

Example clip:

4 Likes

iPhone 13 0.5 zoom:

Fujifilm XT-3 + Rokinon Cine DSX 35mm T1.5

I’ll post some more examples tomorrow. In the end as long as you are willing to get creative and have fun you can usually make most cameras work just fine, phone or other.

If you do want to get into cameras just make sure it films 1080 60FPS at a minimum, 4k 60 is nice but if you can get a great deal then it’s alright to skip out on it. Now if you want to talk real box style Cine cams the ZCam lineup is hard to beat at its price point.

4 Likes

I’ve been filming a bunch with this baby. Nikon D500 with an 8mm fisheye. If you really look into it, this camera isn’t THE best choice but i have a bunch of personal reasons why i went with this camera for shooting video. But the fisheye looks siiiiick for yoyo footage.

Otherwise, for quick stuff or when i’m out and about, i use my iphone 13 mini which does a dang fine job i wil admit. Much prefer using the D500 though.

2 Likes

I use my phone for the reels in Instagram ( a now old Google Pixel 4), it does it’s job with a decent video quality but anything dramatic in terms of colours, I think it is ok just to start and I use a tripod with the phone mount so I do not have to stress myself on find a table or similar stuff.
After filming I edit it with Inshot which is an app both for android and apple, just a slightly colour correction and put the clips together.

Would love a proper camera and similar but can’t afford at the moment.

2 Likes

For me its GoPro. Got an extra if you need to borrow one…Small enough to fit just about anywhere which can make for some interesting or shitty angles pending placement…

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdGGeSRgEVs/?hl=en

1 Like

This is just sooo good lmao

1 Like

gopro stapped to my head if outside.

otherwise stand by the window for some light and prop up the phone using a pint glass :uk:

1 Like