Help about equipment and montage skills for yoyo videos

Hello guys,

Please I would like to ask your help on this topic as I haven’t found anything around.

I am ready to shoot a video (and more in the future), I have quite a bit of combos and I would love also to do tutorials.

The first question is, which one would be a good camera with a good video quality for 2022 that doesn’t cost a liver? Something that I can use for couple of years without problems and without put me in debt for life as price second hand market is also fine.

I am a beginner in video recording, I did lot of videos in the past but never with a good video quality and I am tired of it.

About the shooting itself, I was used to record the whole combo in one shot or repeat it until get it right, there is not a way that if there is a mistake I can “montage” the 2 parts like when people record music? In the way to do not restart the combo every time and save time.

Other than that, I believe I need 2 camera to record in different angles (like front and side or up side), there is obviously no way to use only one camera and record the trick twice (will be probably a lot of work but I have done it in the past) but in that case you can’t change angle during the trick as it’s impossible that the 2 positions match.

I tag @MaximShoots here because the great videos he does but I am sure many people can give me many advices.

This videos thing always drive me insane, I would love to do thousand of them but I do not have the knowledge/patience to dedicate a lot of my time to it as I prefer to play but I do not know anyone that can shoot a video for me so I have to learn myself.

Thanks for the help :heart:

3 Likes

Hey there!
Also a yoyo video creator of many years
and I definitely understand your struggle.

To address the angles issue first. Often when I have to record myself, I’ll set up my camera at one angle and record the trick many times. Even if I dont hit a specific spot of my trick, I’ll keep that part in mind and do another take of just that section, or maybe from a different starting point.
Then I’ll move to angle 2 and do the same thing. This way I’ll be able to splice together the points of tricks with angle changes and have each part even if the whole trick wasn’t super successful. That said, I’ll grind and try to get a full complete take with no stops so I know I have a lot to work with.
Here’s an old video where I did a lot of this:

As for camera recommendations, even decent phones these days have amazing quality video, and can do a lot of manual things as well which is pretty amazing. I’d suggest trying around with your phone camera and see what sort of things you can capture. Find settings for different exposures and lighting, focus features etc.

That said, if you want a good budget option that can take video well and not kill you financially, any of the canon rebel series is perfect for video. I still use a Rebel T5i to this day for my videos because that sort of camera was all I could afford when I was starting out, plus I felt that if I could shoot quality video on a more budget platform it would hone my skills better.
You can find those on eBay for very low cost with some lenses as well sometimes.
One thing nice about my more budget choice is that if something happens to it, it’s not as much of a shot to the heart.
A few years ago I actually got robbed after a shoot, and my bag with my camera body and lenses was taken. While it sucked big time I realized that the blow of losing hundreds of dollars of product was not as bad as loosing thousands. Ultimately you would never want this to happen to you, but Incase it ever did…

This video was all shot on a rebel T5i and I think was probably my proudest production in terms of quality. Lens wise I used a Sigma Art 35mm for the whole shoot and if remains my favorite lens to this day. Lenses are really the money sink when it comes to video set ups, but even a stock kit lens can shoot some quality footage.

Any other questions feel free to reach out!

Best of luck!

3 Likes

Also, don’t get discouraged when you’re shooting. It will probably feel like you don’t have much good footage to work with until you get to the editing and find that you have to cut some good stuff to keep the video at a proper length.

In my opinion at least, tricks almost always look better in the video than they feel while throwing.

Ivan

3 Likes

Ciao Albertino, I’m far from being a good videomaker, but for what it worth it I would suggest you to start shooting with your phone and editing with InShot. Today almost all smartphones feature a decent camera, what I suggest is to lower the exposure as much as you can (without having your scene turning too dark) so that you avoid having overexposed areas which you cannot repair while editing.
Also, buy a cheap camera stand and a LED light, if you don’t want to use a LED make sure to have a good light source (a window) pointing towards you while filming.
Another suggestion is to use only one camera and move it to shoot from different angles, you’ll edit all your clip to make the trick look smoother.
InShot is the way to go to start editing on your phone, if you look at the videos on my channel, all videos on 2021 were shoot with a Samsung Galaxy 21 and edited with InShot.

If you really want to buy a camera, I suggest the Sony ZV1, I don’t understand a heck about cameras but I feel confortable with the ZV1, it’s easy to setup, it has a ton of accessories, good audio, great stabilization and great product showcase autofocus

A side note, you won’t need 4k resolution for youtube, 95% of people watch it on a 6" screen, so 1080p is more than enough.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the answers guys!

@JeiCheetah very nice videos, that’s exactly what I was trying to ask for help thanks to understand my broken english, you explained perfectly and looking at your videos doesn’t seems you “messed up” any part of the combo them mash up perfectly, to do that you just crop the part without any transition so it give dynamics and doesn’t mess up the image, noted, this will be so helpful, as sometimes takes ages to get it right immediately in front of the camera, the price of the camera you advice is so tempting and your video quality look much more than good!

@craZivn I know that feeling, I have a youtube channel full of videos from years ago, I used to shoot them every time I had around 2 minutes or 3 of combos, so I am used to the feel of “this look horrible” but it wasn’t, I think I always missed the video quality as first thing and a bit of skills in montage as I used to film the combo in frontal and record it until it was done, so it always took me ages to do a video cause I did not know how to manage the technical parts

@ChrysaeThrows Ciao Diego, thanks for the answer and the advices which are super appreciated and I will follow (the exposure trick is something I never heard before this said it long how much about videos I know), I have a google pixel 4XL as phone do you think will be enough good quality?
I will download Inshot immediately to have a look, I am used to use Sony vegas I used it a lot in the past to edit yoyo videos and some music stuff, not a pro but I did my job so is not a problem also use the computer

Is this video shoot with a phone and edited in Inshot? :flushed: look amazing!

also: “I’m far from being a good videomaker” all the videos looks amazing :rofl:

Even this one is so cool, how you manage to get only the string in colour?

2 Likes

I’m going to say this: YOU DO NOT NEED MULTIPLE CAMERA’s. Its very overkill, and even I only use one when filming the projects you’ve seen.

1 camera, 2 cheap lenses and a 4 year old $100 gimbal

Like Diego has pointed out, a phone is more than enough to start with, however if you do want more control and want to go down the path of media creation and the gear that goes with it, I would first start by establishing your budget. There are plenty of older camera’s that could totally crush it in terms of video creation. I personally will recommend looking in the 500 dollar range for a body (ie. something like a Sony A6300 or Fuji xt2 on a used gear site like MPB) and then snag a lens for around $100-200 (ie decent kit lens) just to get started. A6300 has 1080p at 120 fps which is solid for slowmo, XT2 has built in film simulation so you can somewhat color edit your footage in camera, and also match it to your photos that you take with the same settings.

For video editing switch to Da Vinci Resolve since it is free well optimized and gets constant solid support (and there is a paid version if you ever feel the need to upgrade to to pro level stuff).

Again, I urge you to start with your phone, during the time you spend learning to edit and slowly make content with your phone, start looking at camera gear and researching whats reasonable for you. try to go sub 1k on your whole setup (including any extra’s) while keeping in mind, once you’ve bought a decent body prioritize getting a solid lens to compliment it.

4 Likes

Grazie caro

Yes, all 2021 were filmed with my phone, Homeland was filmed using a gimbal for stability.

InShot has a paid version (10€ \ year) which i strongly recommend, that adds a lot of capabilities to the app… one of them lets you change the saturation for different colors, so you can isolate one single color on the spectrum, it is not accurate as professional softwares, isolating yellow will also isolate a bit of green, but for high contrast scene like this one works perfectly.

Again, take my suggestions considering that I have no videomaking background or experience, I started making videos trying to spend the least possible amount of €€€ at the beginning, I ended up spending less than 50€ in the first year between camera stand, LED light and InShot pro.

@MaximShoots is a pro, what he says is gold, if you think my videos are cool, thank you, but I suggest you to check out what Max creates, top tier. You’ll find him as “Edition Yoyo” on Instagram.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the help guys, this saturday I have to flight back to Italy for the holidays and wanted to shoot a video there as I have so much free time, I will try with my phone (and will be outside so I do not need the additional light thingy) and with Inshot so I can see what I can do with that at least 2 minutes of video or more if I can, just to try the angles and use the advices here.

@MaximShoots thanks for that, I think as you said the best is to use my phone for now to experiment and if I find myself filming a lot than an upgrade will be done, I see some videos of Da Vinci Resolve and seems pretty straight forward to use more than Sony Vegas or Adobe as I did in the past, I think I will use that if I will prefer to edit via computer.

@ChrysaeThrows I found the video in your channel with all the advices and I will follow it like the bible, thanks for that, it seems something quite “easy” to achieve and without touch too many parameters, I will have a look at the app as well and use it as I will be “going around” so I will have time to play with it, even cut the clips seems quite fine with it!

1 Like