What’s the best way to remove Duncan friction sticker residue?

What’s the best way to remove Duncan friction sticker residue?

I have a bunch of old Duncans that have sat untouched in cases for almost a decade, and they need some love. I’ve been throwing a lot more lately and digging things out of storage.

I unfortunately left friction stickers on them, which has left an awful residue that I can’t get off with rubbing. E.G.,

I don’t want to scrape and scratch the plastic. I would assume Goo Gone is the best option, but I really don’t want to damage the plastic.

4 Likes

I don’t know how soft the plastic is but you probably would still be safe using a wooden toothpick. That would have to be some really flimsy plastic for it to be damaged by a toothpick

Have you tried rubbing acohol? Usual works well on sticky stuff for me and shouldn’t hurt the plastic.

6 Likes

@Benthrowsyoyo The adhesive is really stuck on there, and scraping with a toothpick won’t get it.

@Yooo I’ve read that alcohol can dull the sheen of plastics.

I did try some Barkeeper’s Friend, which as far as I can determine doesn’t contain alcohol, and it dulled the half I tried it on. So I won’t be using it again.

4 Likes

Yeah I could see that possibly happen. That’s a tough one, I’m not sure what else to use besides like soap and water but not sure how good that will work. Hopefully someone knows better than me.

2 Likes

Dang bar keepers friends is super strong. I used alcohol to remove the graphics from my fh1 and it didn’t affect the sheen. Whatever you use, it’s probably going to take a ton of elbow grease. Good luck!

2 Likes

Does that even matter if its under a response pad?

2 Likes

I guess not. I just try to keep my throws in as nice condition as I can.

@Yooo I tried regular dish soap under the sink and it didn’t work at all. :frowning:

1 Like

Idk how this stands up to time but we used to use iso. It works.

4 Likes

I’ve used the little alcohol prep pad wipes with success before. I think those are just 70% iso alcohol. The alcohol isn’t sitting / soaking your yoyo long enough to really cause any noticeable effect (imo). Regular isopropyl alcohol i’m sure would be fine too.

5 Likes

i use a product called “Goo Gone” and had good results removing sticky residue. admittedly, i have not tried it on a plastic yoyo though.

it’s a citrus based product that is advertised for it’s ability to remove sticky residue.

good luck
kgb

3 Likes

Lighter fluid works just fine.
Maybe goo gone too.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Lighter fluid seems to be working best for me. I might try to pick up some Goo Gone tomorrow to see how it does.

Only worry with a solvent is it can damage the plastic. I killed the bearing seat on a replay by putting a wet with acetone bearing on it. It made the plastic brittle. Might not be as big of a deal in small amounts being wiped off.

Acetone will eat plastic alive, alcohol, not so much.

3 Likes

Lighter fluid, as in Ronsonol and Zippo does not affect plastic.

4 Likes

I’ve been using Ronsonol lighter fluid without any problems.

1 Like

Goof Off
Goo Gone
Lighter fluid
Mineral spirits (paint thinner solvent)
Alcohol
mineral oil / baby oil
Blow dryer and q-tips saturated in alcohol

All work quite well.

4 Likes