What monometal has really impressed you?

General Yo Prestige and the Markmont Classic.

5 Likes

most recent monos that impressed me were the Dunk Rebound and Atmos Abel.

Dunk Rebound is very stable, super satifying binds and D bearing which i’m a big fan of.
The Abel is crazy high quality. Beautiful finish, light, fast and just all round fun to throw

5 Likes

I have a orange Dunk Rebound on the way. Can’t wait.

That delring tech is cool as heck too !

C3 Radius 7075

I grew up with fixies and transaxles. All monometals really impress me.

Of those impressive works of modern machinery, the most impressive is…

…Yep, you guessed it…

TOPDECK

It continues to impress me, day after day, year after year. Every time I get something new and go back to it, I’m reminded how ridiculously good it is. And it gets better the better I get. The more skilled I become, the more I appreciate how amazing it is. It’s mind boggling, really.

1 Like

YYR Monotone, Thesis Invictus, SF Movement. All of them are top performers and seem to be relatively easy to get your hands on minus maybe the movement.

2 Likes

Yeah, first experienced it in the Flame, love it.

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting an OG Recog. I have the Cog Lite that I love. I mentioned the Elevation above, but I have yet to try an UNPRLD I did not like. Their monos are all smooth and hold high rpm spin for stupid long. Even when I try rubbing the pads to slow before binding.

2 Likes

yooo the recog was my first in the cog series. The coglite is great but it lacks that stability due to the weight I think but I still have mine. The cognition is my favorite as its just an absolute tank and can take your messups even better than the recog! I’m super stoked for the motif thats coming it looks like a really fun shape

Agreed on the coglite. My elevation is light years smoother and it has as powerful spin as an inner ring bimetal. If you haven’t tried, it’s well worth the $45. I didn’t hear about the new recog that’s coming. You have a link to info on it?

UNPRLD has posted some new pictures and vids of Daniel Kim’s new signature throw the motif. It’s on their instagram if you want to check it out. It looks awesome !!! The cap design is something else !!!

I definitely agree with you though on the elevation, it’s by far one of the best monometals that I’ve ever used !!! I like everything about it :grin:

Purely in the interest of being obnoxious, the MMC (along with other 6061 SE yoyos) is technically a bimetal (6061 + 7075 or brass side effects).

1 Like

Yeah that crosses my mind everytime I think of side effects.

There are no monometal yoyos. Even the titanium ones are an alloy.

1 Like

I just ordered a monotone. You liking yours a lot?

4 Likes

I havent put in a colossal amount of time on it but I did enjoy it when it was in the main rotation. I mainly use bimetals or Ti these days.

1 Like

Certainly a gray area. But, that ‘considered’, I would disagree for the following reason>

In order to logically establish ‘categories’, we must lean away from being too technical.

I would consider that side effects not be identified as a component that would qualify in making a mono a bi-metal.

Using a dissimilar metal as either: outer rim, inner rim or mid wall weighting, is done deliberately to generate more power.

The various side effects can no doubt cause some different playing characteristics. But no side effects are deliberately designed to create a noticeable, more dynamic power up.

If you were to fall into that mindset, then All mono metals are bi-metals because the metal yoyo has an axle most likely made of a different metal than the yo-yo halves.

So, I would say S.E. yo-yos are mono-metals.

Once again…… ‘too technical’. With that reasoning, most metal yo-yos would be bi-metals.

To me, bi- metals start off as monome metals. Then the haves are machined to except a dissimilar metal usually in ring form placed specifically to enhance the power dynamics of the yo-yo. That… Would be general description of the Bimetal yoyo.

An alloy metal is not a bi-metal.

4 Likes

I agree that the technicality is too technical when it comes to most 7075 SEs, especially the lighter ones. Brass, however, changes the weight distribution significantly in a way that I can’t imagine being possible with a tapped axle. It’s not as tangible as steel or brass-weighted rims, but I think it’s worth mentioning.

Of course the axle doesn’t make it a bimetal.

The side effect is part of the axle system - putting a brass side effect on a One Drop doesn’t make it into a “bimetal” any more than putting a plastic googly eye onto a yoyo makes it into a hybrid.

9 Likes