What makes yoyos hum?

Hi all! So something got me thinking today. Why do different yoyos make different noises? I have found that all of the one drop yoyos I have owned have all had the same sounding, higher pitched hum. When all the CLYW yoyos I have owned have a sort of deeper more “hollow” hum to them almost. I know enough about basic physics to know that a yoyo vibrating can cause different frequencies of sound waves causing different tones of “hum”. But why do all CLYW I’ve tried sound similar? Why do all One drops sound the same? If someone could explain this to me that would be great! Thanks!

I’m not really sure, but I would imagine it has something to do with materials and shape. Except for the 7075 models, I would think that most manufacturers would use a similar material for all of their throws. Although yoyos seem different, some within a company may have similar shapes or designs that may cause different amounts of vibration.

It is air hitting the inner cup of the spinning yoyo.

It’s primarily bearing noise transmitted or amplified through the body of the yoyo. Some ring, some have a lower pitched hum. The yoyo construction/design has an impact on the sound produced.

I also think it has something to do with the wall thickness.

Nahh - Must be magic… :wink:

thats what i thought :wink:

I have a feeling it has to do with two things. The bearing, and it’s shape. The bearing makes a hum already since the yoyo is spinning at around 10000 rph. (As discussed in another thread) Adding on to that, aluminum, amplifies that sound and so it sounds different for other yoyos because of their shape.

1 Like

I hope my yoyos are spinning a bit faster than 10000rph

1 Like