What makes you unique in the yo-yo community?

Are you Siri-us?

1 Like

I’m Siri-us and don’t call me Shirley (even I couldn’t help my self)
But in all seriousness I’m not unique very few are I just yoyo because I enjoy it and like to spread the yoyo community love

I got sirius radio!

This is a non sequitur. Don’t take this in a bad way, but the statement is false.

A better way to phrase the question might be:

What do you do with your yo-yoing that you believe is less common among others who participate in the hobby, or what aspects do you focus on?

Possible answers are now more meaningful:

*I spend a lot of practice on slack to the exclusion of other things
*Collect more than throw
*I focus on responsive
*At the point where I avoid others tricks and make up my own stuff
*Know dozens of picture tricks
*Mostly do Mobius tricks (will admit unique applies here!)
*Have modded at least 100 yo-yos
*Teach groups how to yo-yo
*Never yo-yoed with anyone else who knew what they were doing (me)

• Am paid to yo-yo (a very select few I think)

So now my answer: I organize my tricks on index cards, and from what I understand, it’s not unheard of, but not usual either. I find it keeps me from rehearsing the same things too much by pulling a trick or move card at random.

The question generated some interesting replies, that’s a good thing!

I have decided that I am indeed; Unique.

Every time I change out a roll of toilet paper; it takes me about 15 seconds to decide whether the paper should roll off the top or pull out from the bottom?

1 Like

Easy. If you have a cat, roll from the bottom. If no cat, roll off the top.

2 Likes

I have long dreadlocks, and unapologetically wear Ultra Wide leg Jncos. Im a juggler/object manipulator for over 15 years. Retired performer in the music festival scene, and theres a very small number of people in the world that can play the Didgeridoo like I do. Ive had my time in the spotlight. These days I am quiet, I dont post many throw videos cause I yoyo for me. But I throw daily.

I prefer flow over speed. Id rather have 4 quarters than a hundred pennies. And I simply strive to be the change I want to see in the world.

Does that make me unique? Maybe. Ive only met a handful of other outstanding characters in the yoyo scene. Im happy to be different, but proud to be part of the community.

I personally like this question so I’m going with it :wink:

I like to focus on making my own tricks and finding out how to do concepts others do without tutorials. I used to never be this way but over the last year, this is all I do. I like to teach basics to people who seem interested. Other than people I’ve taught, I’ve really never met anyone who can yoyo passed the difficulty of matrix.

I drink beer and play yoyo on YouTube. I dunno if that’s unique or not, but that’s what I do. If anyone wants to do it with me and make me not unique, that’s cool too. Come hang out with me. I have beer.

I’m not unique but my situation is… I spend most of my days in one of the countries biggest yoyo stores that happens to be 5mins down the road. I guess I’m more lucky than unique.

I’m impressed you were able to train your cat to use toilet paper, my cat just uses the carpet. Probably that alone makes you unique in almost any community.

3 Likes

Wait a minute! Is this a trick-question?

Well this is a yoyo forum. What kinda tricks ya got?

apparently i am the only yoyoer in prescott arizona.

iv’e had an ad posted on craigslist for quite a while now and not one call yet to start a club or even just a gathering

What makes me unique is that I never participate in these sort of threads… what? wait a minute… never mind.

We’re not happy until you’re not happy! *<B{Q>

Because I’m Zammy.

Literally, thats all I can say to answer this.
cause that name holds a lot to different people.

~Z

I don’t believe this is true. It’s perfectly viable for a dedicated player to focus on the other outlets you mentioned above. People come in all sorts, and are driven by any range of things.

In fact, I find it funny that you mention competitions twice - once about performing, and again as a social event - without acknowledging that it’s a PERFECT example of our community enjoying the same things differently.

I would also like to shine light on a few other personalities which populate the community.

There are entire sub-communities which produce and feed from the CULTURE of yoyo. This often manifests as photography and videography, but also things like artwork, music, apparel, public performance, and cross-collaborative projects with other communities. This is also a nice place to stick clubs, crews, and really any collection of friends that have each other’s company because of yoyo.

Yoyos are also a hotbed for entrepreneurship. The sheer ability to establish a new brand in the yoyo market is insane, and is fueled by a shared interest in new ideas combined with the simplicity of the toy at large. The required knowledge to design one is short and easily acquired, all things considered, since the object itself is simple and easy to permute/prototype. If your particular fancy is to build a brand and share your vision with likeminded players, you have found NO EASIER community to do it in. So when we talk about yoyoers like Chris Mikulin, Ben McPhee, Dale Bell, or anyone else like that, do we only like them because they’re “celebrities,” or because they maybe did something before that?

For myself, yoyoing has always been more than competition. Honestly speaking, I think about it the absolute least.

Closing thought - It’s difficult to have a conversation about uniqueness when the sample size you want to look at is such a minuscule percentage of the yoyo world.

I’m the only person in Vancouver that does 0A, 1A, 2A and 5A to 80s music. I am a master of none.

This might sound really dumb but what is 0A?

fixed axle