What is your "Moby D*ck" trick?

By this I mean what is your white whale, a trick that you have been pursuing but seems like it will be impossible for you to grasp? Just curious as I just got out of a rut and am making progress in learning how to Calypso properly. My trick that I have given up on (for the moment) is the Spirit Bomb.

Also i get why the word is prohibited because of immaturity but i wish i didn’t have to look like a silly goose and sensor the title of a book

1 Like

Hook 2.0

I just can’t. Oh and beefhook. I landed it once…never again

5 Likes

I for some reason, after like 8 or 9 months, can still not spirit bomb. One time I landed it, but can’t seem to do it again.

3 Likes

For me more than a trick itself is to create perfect flowing combos in the same way I have them in my mind, learn how to link all the elements perfectly is an art.

What I noticed about yoyoing is that when a trick doesn’t come out it’s just because it need just practice and muscle memory to build up, eventually you will see it (I remember when I learnt the brent stole, I wasn’t able to do it then literally one day I woke up stand up from the bed tried a brent stole, close it and from there just clicked all the time)

6 Likes

whip to 1.5 mount, looks like something totally doable at my skill level however I always struggle a lot to land it. It just isn’t natural for some reason. Having the yoyo to fly over my throwhand feels super awkward.

8 Likes

Ive been yoyoing 10+ years and the 3 tricks that gave me the most excitement when I learned them was the trapeze, 1.5 mount, and beef hook.

Yoyoing is so exciting when you’re first learning.

6 Likes

to me, I am still struggling with Seasick due to the crazy movement. Then 2.0 hooks as my arms cannot handle them right now

3 Likes

For now 1.5 hooks! I got down 1.0 and a handful of tension hooks on the left side and an increasing success rate on beef hooks. I just haven’t yet figured out how to whip the string around enough. I get the mechanics of how it should work but haven’t been able to land even one yet. It’s also annoying to practice too because my shoulder will start to fatigue and making consecutive attempts throws off the string tension so quick. Imma get it eventually though! Also shoutout to that double slack at the beginning of this weeks trick-a-week.

5 Likes

Now that I’ve hit 1.5 hook, 2.0 hook will probably elude me for a year and a half as well lolol

2 Likes

This is actually shocking lol

1 Like

1.5 hook took me well over a year, I thought I understood what was going on but one day all of a sudden I realized I was wrong lol. You’ll get it soon, just keep at it =]

2 Likes

Rancid Milk.

Disgusting :face_vomiting:

7 Likes

This. There are times I get it 3, 4 maybe 5 times in a row - then the next 20 times, total fail.

2 Likes

Murky Mallard. I can’t get that bind and regen at the end except maybe 1 out of every 20 times

2 Likes

I can land the first hop maybe 1 of 10 tries. That second hop though. Oh man.

2 Likes

Spirit Bomb took me the most tutorials to really understand. The first 2-3, I could not even follow – it just seemed like people popping the yo-yo up and landing in these mysterious mounts.

The next one finally made the first transition clear (“Throw” on YT) and I understood the second part but could not land it consistently at all. I figured it was just a matter of practice but I never really improved.

Finally I got another tip from a tutorial (Mazel Tops) that made the second transition go from 10% to 90% consistency.

But that long plateau in the middle where I thought that I just needed to practice what I already “knew” was an eye-opener.

For me the trick is Beef Hook. For me the is by far the highest number of attempts vs. the lowest success rate. I have a better chance of landing it by accident while messing up a completely different trick. The problem is that I will land it randomly and then try to recreate whatever (I think) I did to make it work. Instead, I just spend a half-hour baking in another failed strategy. Perfect “white wale”, i.e. unproductive obsession.

5 Likes

Yukki slack

4 Likes

I took a look at that and immediately went on to finding another trick

2 Likes

I hear ya. It looks so stupid cool though.

2 Likes

This was true for me until just a couple of weeks ago. They just started hitting! I’m probably better than 50% but if we count the number of attempt I’d probably puke.

I just cant understand 2.0+ hooks. These phenoms hitting 5.0, 6.0 blows my mind. It’s a rough one to practice too as my arms feel like they want to fall off.

10 Likes