What is your favorite type of string đŸȘ€

Not that bad and it doesn’t make the string “gross”. But noticeably it has more “oil” applied to the surface.

Yes, there is a layer of oil on the surface of the string. I don’t own any OT string, but this is the case with my Sochi strings and my Alphaline (which is still a Sochi string really). Out of all the strings I’ve tried, I have only noticed oil on Sochi strings which is interesting and I have tried YYSL, Kitty, iYoYo, Something, Airetics and the manufacturer’s string that come with the yoyo. The oil makes the string smoother on my hands as it glides more easily and my hands don’t get shredded so much, but it makes everything I touch after I’m done playing oily, including the yoyo that I’m playing with. I think it helps the string last longer as well due to the grease and sweat from my hands not being able to get soaked up by the string until the oil layer dissipates sufficiently. However, the string will remain oily throughout it’s lifetime, unless you decide to wash it (I have never washed my strings so I have no idea if the oil gets removed). I’m surprised that no one, not even a single soul here, has ever mentioned the oil layer on strings until now. It’s probably a huge factor for people like me who like to keep their stuff free of oil (but I have no choice, they’re the only strings that don’t destroy my hands every time I want to play with a yoyo and I can’t deal with thick strings).

1 Like

Dang, I should pay you to write ads for me! Hahaha that makes me so happy that you’re enjoying it. Sliccs are crazy, when I first made one I figured it would last a little longer than Plushh but not that much
 Man was I wrong :joy:

I’m biased, obviously, I make my string for my own standards so of course I love it. I don’t think any string maker wouldn’t say their own strings are their favorite, because we’re our own first customers in a way. But since we’re here, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention a few others I love. After all, I really don’t see it as competition, the yoyo community is such a great place to be and I think most companies are more like a community not competitors.

Zipline Smoothies are great, and their kot-n string is really fun for wood fixies. Airetic was amazing, and I hope they come back. They’re just enough different from my Slicc that I think there’s a space for both of us in the nylon market. Also I absolutely love Zeekio cotton string for fixed-axle. There’s so many string brands out there and tbh I haven’t tried that many since I make my own, so if any string makers out there want to swap hit me up!

That is really really interesting. You’re sure the string itself is oily, and it’s not just a slick string that pulls out the oil from your hand?

I wonder if they’re using a machine to make the strings, and maybe the oil helps with the manufacturing maybe? It’s funny, I make strings myself but I have no idea how other people make strings, I just do it by hand with a setup that I designed myself, I think a lot of string makers are kind of secretive in a way. So idk, maybe they’ve automated it and the oil helps the thread not get frayed or something. I know I’ve broken strings due to friction before, and that can be a real headache.

Sochi is what comes with Rain City Skills yoyos, right? I’ve never noticed any oil on those, but to be fair I don’t usually use them after I used one or two and didn’t really care for it so I usually have my own string ready to go before a RCS yoyo arrives.

1 Like

Sinister Cephalopod strings are amazing. As good as Airetic was imo.

1 Like

Yes, the string itself is oily. I have sweaty palms so if the string pulls the oil from my hand, I would recognise it immediately. A lot of times, I wash my hands with detergent and then I take out a brand new string and my hands get oily immediately after touching the string. The oil is a bit weird, it doesn’t feel like your regular grease or cooking oil, it has a slightly different texture to it.

I’m pretty sure Sochi makes their strings with machines, most bulk string manufacturers do.

Yeah, I’m thinking that’s the reason for the oil on the string, it’s just a side effect of using their machines to make the strings.

That’s probably the reason for the oil on the string.

It depends really, rain city has their own proprietary string as well like the sun shower strings. But the previous time I bought the rain city skills edition sochi string, there was oil on it.

2 Likes

Right know I am using Kitty fat and xl

I just got my recess first base I LOVE IT !!! it’s an amazing throw considering it’s plastic it is my favorite plastic throw so far totally recommend it :+1:t2:

P.S does anybody know what string it comes with because it’s FANTASTIC just wondering :grin::wink:

Sochi and Zipline

1 Like

Where I live it is starting to get colder, and I put one of my jackets on for the first time this season. I found an OT string, which I ran out of about 6 months ago. I forgot how much I love them.

2/3 poly 1/3 fluffy nylon - house brand because I like matchy matchy strings.

Also rayon is a very under explored material. This sting is 2.5 years in active use (never washed or anything):

3 Likes

Does anyone use kitty normal string anymore just wondering ???

2 Likes

I always use kitty normal string for my loop 720s and sometimes for 5A (I keep alternating between fat and regular size so that I won’t run out of one string type early)

3 Likes

I use white kitty normal for my loopers. They aren’t nice for 1A though as they are pretty rough on my hands, don’t last very long and don’t hold tension all that well.