What is the weirdest thing someone told you about yoyoing?

Just like the title says.

2 Likes

Not sure if this counts: I’ve been watching yoyo tutorials for 3 years and can’t stand it when the person in the vid says “it’s just that easy.” Really? Saying “it’s just that easy” is almost never true and telling someone something is easy may make them feel stupid because they are having a hard time with something they are being told is easy. Some people CAN pick tricks up easily and some can’t and I don’t think any trick on a yoyo can technically be called easy.

4 Likes

I have people at work who mock me for using unresponsive yoyos. They feel it’s cheating. Not sure it’s super weird, but it’s all I’ve got.

8 Likes

There was a comment on a Zach Gormley video and the person said that he was cheating by using the unresponsive yoyo. So many people got mad at that person. In all seriousness, it’s a modern yoyo. It is not cheating it’s just the newer and better way to yoyo.

3 Likes

I’m not even sure what it means to “cheat” with a yoyo? Is there a set of difficulty standards one must remain confined to in order to be a “legitimate” player?

I think the folks who feel that unresponsive yoyos are cheat machines don’t grasp how they have opened up an entire world of string tricks that could never be accomplished with a responsive yoyo. Rather than making yoyoing easier they have made yoyoing vastly more interesting.

And if they think unresponsive yoyos are so much easier (than responsives), they should try playing with one. Without knowing how to bind, it won’t seem quite so easy any more.

5 Likes

There’s an older guy at my work who said I was cheating as well, but I think this is because he grew up with nothing but wooden fixed axle yoyos. They would probably consider anything with a bearing to be cheating lol.

4 Likes

Anything other than non-responsive is cheating because it needs some kind of starburst in order to get a return.

2 Likes

…and any form of transportation not involving a horse is cheating as well.

4 Likes

Right? Like, maybe it’s cheating if all you do is throw it and it comes right back. Learn how to bind and then come back to me :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

The weirdest thing someone told me was that they didn’t like yoyoing! How weird, it doesn’t get any weirder than that.

Looking back at it now they had to be telling an untruth. Humans all love yoyoing. However, there may be some aliens among us. :smiling_imp: Who knows?

7 Likes

Do you ever read yoyo reviews on amazon? I feel bad for a lot of those people because they do not know or have not looked into the fundamentals of yoyoing so they call their new yoyo unbalanced or say it will not come up and it’s a piece of junk. I think a lot of people we meet have tried out a yoyo at some point but did not understand how to make it go up and down so of course it was a bad experience and thus a turn off. If we don’t do our part to expose people who show just a spark of interest how to do a gravity pull, who will?

2 Likes

My aunt and grandmother of course! :crazy_face: That’s how I got started as a tike.

1 Like

That is really cool! Imagine if they never taught you? Do you have any photos of you and a yoyo back then? That’d be epic!

2 Likes

Unfortunately for me, and fortunately for you there are no pictures. Most of my first yoyos, my grandmother and I made out of cross sections of tree branches and dowels that extended through the sides, then sharpened in a pencil sharpener, or whittled to a point so they could be spun as tops. My grandmother taught us to make our own toys. Great times! I still have a rubber band gun she made me when I was four or five.

1 Like

There was one person who I met through family friends and when I showed him some yoyo tricks he was like “man in sixty years all of you yoyo players are gonna have arthritis. That’d be funny. Just imagine them all depressed because they can’t play with their toys. It’s probably all they think about. No room in their brains for anything but yoyos.” He was a weird guy. Probably never really found a passion. So angry. I mean I guess that’s not that much of a weird thing to say if you’re just mad at the world all the time but it was more weird because he said it right at my face. Anybody else ever talk to someone like that?

4 Likes

I’ve heard people say they find it stressful…

1 Like

I met a guy at the hospital who was convinced that yoyos are a weapon. He had traveled and had a collection of yoyos with teeth on them and other tourists like stuff. He didn’t like it when I told him that one of the Duncan’s invented that yoyo as a weapon to sell throws to kids. He refused to believe me.

2 Likes

Somebody didn’t believe me when I told them that the ball bearing made it possible for the yoyo to spin for so long. He was convinced it had a motor.

3 Likes

The weirder thing is that there is a yoyo called the Choas Dragon that actually has a motor.

1 Like

“Does that have an engine in it?”

2 Likes