What is the fastest yoyo you own? The sequel to "What is the most powerful yoyo you own?"

A couple weeks back I asked all of you about the most powerful yoyos you had in your collection, which spawned a lot of interesting conversation about what power meant in a yoyo, whether it referred to weight, string feel, spin time, and/or stability at low rotation speeds.

Now I’m curious, what is your fastest yoyo? What yoyo is the easiest for you to move in a speedy manner? In my limited collection of 6 performance yos I would have to say my fastest is either the Hydrogen Crash or the Speedaholic XX. Share yours!

3 Likes

Pending further testing, VTWO. Used to be the Yuuksta, but anything with Yuuki’s name on it is assumed to be fast.

4 Likes

Lol I have to post the disclaimer again that I haven’t thrown very many yo-yos, but the fastest Yoyo in my collection is the yoyofriends tachyon. It’s ridiculously fast for me like I have to warm up to it to use it or it’s hard to control. I definitely think I prefer heavier yo-yos because my speed is more limited by my skills than my yo-yo and I’m better at locating the Yoyo in space as it flies around with a heavier Yoyo. I still like the fast and light yo-yos though because they’re fun and I like variety.

3 Likes

I only have 8 yoyos but I’d say the iYoYo shooting star.

3 Likes

Maybe I don’t understand the idea of “fast” when it comes to yoyos. For me it means when I get a good throw and I still have way more than enough spin time after doing everything I know how to do to get a nice and fast, crisp bind. That is the yoyo I pick up most of the time. Some yoyos fizzle out quicker than others even with a good starting throw. I realize a lot of that is due to bad plane-keeping / sloppiness but some yoyos just ignore my shortcomings and are awesome. This morning, before work those (fast) yoyos were R Type, Silenus, and Colossus VI.

1 Like

Generally the speed of a yoyo is determined by it’s stability during rapid direction changes and how much string burn you can tolerate. I can move a YYF ONE just as fast as my VTWO but it will immediately spin out UFO style.

3 Likes

OneDrop Nitro.

It really feels uncontrollable at times. I wish it was a few grams heavier.

5 Likes

Kinetic

4 Likes

I virtually own nothing that plays super fast or too floaty/agile because I don’t like it lol, but if I had to pick it’s probably my Legato 2 for a metal and FH Nextgen caps removed for a plastic. The Legato 2 has a little bit of an agile and quick feel that some inner ring bimetals have, but I wouldn’t say it’s a speed demon. The FHNG is so light and floaty without caps but it’s also very uncontrollable/unstable and lacks spin time so it’s not ideal at all either lol. I’d also like to point out that a yo-yo is as fast as the player using it. I’ve seen videos of people going Godspeed with a 70+ gram throw

2 Likes

What method did you use to remove the caps on your FNG? I have been wondering how it plays without them.

2 Likes

To me there are yoyos that respond to directional changes quickly, and then there are yoyos that help you carry that extra speed into longer combos while remaining stable. I find that you can get very fast directional changes out of more compact yoyos, e.g. a onedrop nitro, lots of polycarb plastics to me fall into this category as well. As for yoyos that do that while remaining stable, a few that have stood out to me as being especially fast are the YYFr Tachyon, c3 krown.st/progressiver, YYR onslaught/skyfish, unprld flashback.

2 Likes

Old school way my friend, take out the bearing but leave the axle, press the side with the axle down on something hard and they should pop out. Don’t do it on a kitchen table or anything that can be poked or dented with the axle though obviously lol put something under it if you are. As I’m typing this I remembered Duncan has a video on it lol, I also wasn’t aware that it had the Duncan fingerspin dimples under the caps until I did it

2 Likes

Probably my Sturm panzer Leo Schneider MK2. I think it feels faster because of the d bearing in it.

3 Likes

Kinetic (motion) is the fastest YoYo I have ever played - strong bias - but also true

3 Likes

The fastest “useable” yoyo I have is the La’Grange. I have faster mini yoyos but they aren’t nearly as capable.

2 Likes

Hummingbird.

Although looking at the specs, I’d say motion Kinetic if I had one. Hard to find them in stock. I’d love another run in some other color ways hint hint

4 Likes

Definitely C3 Railgun.

Think of C3 Krown, make it sharper and lighter, and you get Railgun.

Normally I like fast yoyos but the Railgun is almost too fast even for me. On the other hand the Krown is definitely the “best” for speed because it has a bit more heft for control, but it is not the fastest.

Now waiting for people to write paragraphs about how a yoyo can’t be “fast” on its own.

5 Likes

I mean a yoyo can’t be fast unless pushed to be fast. It’s just how quickly it gets up to speed when made to move

I don’t own it anymore, but the c3 railgun was the fastest I have ever owned.

3 Likes

Hummingbird hands down… that thing is something else.

3 Likes