What happens when a bearing is cleaned without removing its c clip, shield etc?

I cleaned it with lighter fluid. I haven’t bought lube for it yet, will it damage my bearing?

There is no problem with that. The only drawback is that not all the dirt in the bearing might come out, as the shields may have prevented that.

So its ok to play with it without lubing it after cleaning with lighter fluid? My yoyo is also very noisy when spinning.

Oh, as for this, if you do not lube it after cleaning it, the bearing’s lifespan would be reduced, although this is negligible, as the bearing would still last for 1-2 years in this state. If you want your bearing to last a little longer, you might want to put some lube in there to extend the bearing life. Personally, I prefer the bearings un-lubed, as it gives the yoyo longer spin times. Besides, bearings are quite cheap, so replacing them every 2 years shouldn’t be a problem.

I always lube mine. It’s quieter, and the bearing will last longer, which is good because you don’t want the bearing to suddenly seize up during a competition one day. Honestly, the spin time probably won’t matter that much, because I can get around 3 min of spin, and when you can do that much, a few extra seconds won’t help.

1 Like