Did i wear out a bearing in 2 days?

I received my first unresponsive throw on friday, a yyf shutter. the first two days were great, the bearing was quiet at first then rattled a little when broken in and performed perfectly. today i throw it a few times and the bearing makes a terrible screeching noise and is completely responsive, now it screeches then goes quiet and is responsive to the slightest tug on the string. I’m just wondering did i wear out a bearing in two days or does it just need cleaning/lube? If the bearing is shot is there a better/ longer lasting bearing?

clean it.

1 Like

Thank you, i cleaned the bearing with the guide at the top of this page. I used 192 proof ethyl alcohol but i didn’t have any lube, the bearing is better than before now.

you dont need lube if you dont want it. It can help keep the bearing running quieter, but its not necessary. Run it dry if the sound doesnt bug ya. When it goes noisy and crappy again, pop those shields off, soak it in your cleaner of choice (i like pure acetone) and your good to go!!

1 Like

I use lighter fluid (Ronsonol) to clean bearings. It breaks down gunk and any old lube still left in the bearing. I’m not sure if alcohol will have the same effect, but it sounds like it worked out for you. If you do decide to use some thin lube, just use a pin drop’s worth. A little bit goes a long way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t be afraid to give your bearing a full drop of lube if you like. It won’t hurt it at all and, while it’ll be a little responsive for a few days, it’s so worth it. Makes the bearing very quiet and extends the lifespan of it.

1 Like

You need to lube it

I think what Zorro means is. . .

Nobody needs to lube a yoyo bearing. (ill let that sink in for a second)

It CAN help with keeping the bearing quiet.

It can extend the lifespan of “a” bearing, but this is up for debate in regards to yoyo’s non-load-bearing nature.

Some wet lubes can make the bearing play semi-responsive for a short time and reduce bearing spin time a bit.

Some yoyo dry lubes can make the bearing play a bit louder but spin much longer than wet lubes allow.

But that ^^ is all preference.
The only thing a bearing needs is to be clean. When its clean its happy, when its happy it lives long and prospers. When its dirty/gritty its loud, spins crappy, and life span is dwindling by the second. Clean it, and its good to go. i know many people that do not ever use lube, and have never blown through a bearing (cause they clean it when needed), and others that live by the idea of lube or death. Me personally, I prefer dry lube (Terrapin Dry) for most of my bearings, but i have a few that i keep wet for its silent aspect (if the wife is sleeping, i go for the wet lubed) but if im going for performance I reach for dry lubed. Just my preference though. lube-less bearings will do just fine for a long long time.