What happened to Evan Nagao?

Agreed with @mable on the point that this is not cancel culture. This is someone being dropped by their sponsor because the sponsor is uncomfortable with the impact on the brand. It’s a one-and-done event.

Now if everyone started to say that Evan should never be allowed to compete in a competition and no other yoyo company should ever touch Evan … that’s more like cancelling.

Honestly, doesn’t seem like there’s really much controversy here. Most people seem to think it’s a nice, sheltered dude doing a dumb thing without any intent to harm. Made a mistake and paid for it. Hopefully there will be no further compounding.

16 Likes

Imo being dropped from team is not cancel culture at all because brands have their own interests. I saw some people suggesting to ban him from participating in any official tournament, which look like actual cancel culture.

8 Likes

they really removed evan… but probably deserved

3 Likes

you make a good point and you’re right he’s not really being cancelled. I’m pretty sure he said he was being cancelled and brought up cancel culture on his live feed tho prolly why I used those terms. Oh well. I still feel the same. Night yall✌️

3 Likes

Is ben just getting a pass cause he apologized after making a lynching joke to adrian upon being asked about the whole incident?

11 Likes

^
Yeah I am wondering about this too

4 Likes

13 Likes

So I guess the new yoyo will be called Edge Lord?

16 Likes

While I think Evan is not properly racist I think he wanted to do something edgy (failing big times) and sadly, he deserved what happened to him as a lesson for the future.
Those kind of videos require a certain maturity and sensibility to be done (and I do not think that even being a grown up man he has this kind of qualities) and you cannot just mess around with that, obviously that group of people will not shoot at you just looking at you or scream and swear at you in the street, knowing Evan’s amount of followers probably they used him to sponsor themselves and appear as “reasonable people”, there are many documentaries online where this happen, just have a look on youtube to find them.

Seems stupid to say but sometimes is nice to refresh a simple concept:
it will be nice to keep an hobby clean of politics and old stale ideas and just enjoy tricks and yoyos each other.

This whole situation comes straight in pole position with that other A-rt cringe stuff with Tate.

9 Likes

It would be nice to keep our society clean of racism.
Do not look away.

29 Likes

Agree but looking around it doesn’t seems something possible in the short run, I experienced it on my skin couple of times living in another country and just because I am Italian (that you believe or not this phenomena has also a name called Italophobia, for how much absurd it seems)

2 Likes

anyone has any image of evans and angelos post?

3 Likes

No, but here’s Ben’s wildly poor response to someone calling out their post, which is arguably worse than whatever dumb/uninformed/uneducated/unaware nonsense Evan and Angelo were doing IMO.

9 Likes

For the careless and hurtful remarks made on Jun 17 I promptly expressed deep regret and issued an apology publicly.I also talked at length with the community in which the post was shared and a lot of my friends who also wanted to make sure I was accountable for my actions. I will apologize again here. The atrocities committed historically are no laughing matter. There should have been a lot more respect shown and I hope to carry myself at a higher standard in the future.

I have been removed from all outward-facing communications short of basic customer service for an undetermined period. This includes attending events.

ibs began handling all social media June 20.

I have requested with two mods now to have this account also deactivated.

I will not be responding any further in this thread and will leave communication to the new social media team.

8 Likes

Here is what I think(much shorter than my average oratory)>

Many people study to get smart. But seldom practice to be Stupid.

Intelligence is gained deliberately. Stupidity is often accomplished unwittingly.

Evan and Angelo are both very intelligent. Unfortunately, it is human nature to get bored and end up running around the Barn until you ‘Step in ’Something’.

And that is just what they did…. They stepped in something.

Everybody……. everybody takes turns wearing the Dunce cap.

No one is ineligible. ‘We all’ take a turn and again. It is human nature.

This is nothing new……

What has changed is simple…… Social Media.

When I was a young guy, you could take your chance being stupid… And basically say oops was that dumb or what? People in the immediate vicinity that were exposed to your lunacy was about as far as it went. And unless somebody that was exposed to a bonehead move went around and told everybody in the neighborhood it just faded out… Lesson learned… Do not repeat

But not nowadays. In the last several years things have morphed into this new age of anything you say, basically goes around the world. Anything you say can be understood the way you meant it…. Or Misunderstood completely and not the way you meant it……

The current game is simple. It’s based on the power of public opinion. Evan and Angelo screwed up. Very few people will deliberately get a hammer and hit themselves right in the head with it.

But in the social media of today, there’s always a hammer on the table right next to everybody’s keyboard. And people just seem to be compelled at the drop of a hat, to pick up that hammer and start hitting somebody with it.

Somebody starts a thread and has an idea. It’s their personal opinion, but they feel compelled to give it. Others chime in to either agree, disagree, or present an alternate view. Some will support the person or persons in the hot seat. And others want to turn up the heat on the hot seat.

The opinions of anyone or everyone that replies in a thread, may have some reasonably logical substance, or have no credible validity whatsoever.

I don’t know Angelo so I can’t say much about him one way or the other

I have known Evan since he was about three years old. I’ve been friends with his dad since Evan was about three years old. I know Evan is a very intelligent guy. And, we all know that he’s a very talented guy.

But that being said, it should be obvious to everyone that he never told anybody he was a genius that never made a mistake.

So here we are… Evan screwed up big-time. It was his turn. It was his destiny. He didn’t know any better. He might’ve thought he did. But anytime you think you’re too smart, you usually find out that you’re not.
…… and the Internet crowd normally breaks down into two groups: people that will understand and support a person that screwed up and people that can’t wait to push them off a cliff.

Evan didn’t kill anybody. He didn’t beat anybody with the bat. He didn’t strangle anybody. He didn’t run over anybody. He didn’t try to ruin somebody’s reputation Deliberately. He didn’t rob a bank. He didn’t do anything that caused somebody to even need a Band-Aid.

What Evan did was he went on an adventure that turned out to be a misadventure.

I have no personal problem with yo-yo factory ending ties with Evan. Yo-yo factory is a Brand that has built a pretty good reputation for the past few decades. They know how the average person thinks. They’ve invested too many years in building their reputation in trying to stay away from controversy. What Evan or any other player affiliated with Yoyofactory, does on their own that may be controversial, does not represent the thoughts and feelings of yo-yo factory. Unwanted and or unnecessary controversy is bad for business.

That being said, I still firmly believe that Evan didn’t do anything negative enough to follow him into the future. He’s a young guy and he still has plenty of time to screw up a couple more times as time passes.

It seems to be the new protocol to get out the shovels and just start burying somebody for just about anything they do that is noted as not acceptable. Seldom are there supportive people that jump in and see what can we do to help this guy? It’s easier to just jump in to the mix and say how deep should we bury this guy?

I find it fascinating in this current day that so few people are willing to serve their jury duty when summoned

But anytime somebody drops the ball and screws up, everybody wants to be on the jury. Some people even volunteer to be the judge.

Pretty sad……

40 Likes

What?! Yours was obviously a joking response. Probably should have been a little more careful with someone who raised this type of complaint in the first place, but we only encourage society’s over-sensitivity by bending over backwards over insignificant things.

3 Likes

Ah yes! Making a lynching joke while in the midst of dealing with your team doing videos with the KKK. Great comedic timing and VERY funny! People are SOOO sensitive! Hundreds of years of mistreatment/torture of African Americans - so insignificant! /s

Get real and delete that embarrassing post before anyone sees it.

23 Likes

Could be a reply to most of this thread. …When 5 swastikas where carved into trees in my area people said it’s just some kids making dumb decisions ( anyone try carving into a tree, it takes effort and a bit of planning) when my daughter came home in 1st grade and told me a kid took a poll at lunch about who dislikes jews i heard parents discussing how the kid is only 6 and didn’t know (but someone put those ideas in that innocent kids head and he will grow up to be the same prejudice A-hole as his parents) .
People need to understand that noone is born racist prejudice antisemitic… like everything you are taught to be the person you are. We need to teach the younger generations better and we need every opportunity to teach them BECAUSE OF SOCIAL MEDIA. Kids grow up faster then they did in the past, that’s a fact of life now and no excuse. I know we can do better for everyone.

Plenty of skilled players to rep brands that don’t give a platform to hate and plenty of yoyo manufactures that avoid controversy successfully. This is happening to much imo and seems to be happening more frequently.
I am glad that the yoyo community is intollerant of this type of behavior in all forms.

27 Likes

A good rule of thumb is that if you’re considering saying or doing something that could potentially link your name in a Google search with the KKK or lynching or something of the like, you should reconsider.

20 Likes

So were they trying to do some fringe style Soft White Underbelly content? Why is that a cancellable offense?

1 Like