What got you into yoyoing?

Such a great question!!!

I vaguely remember picking up a YoYo in the 70’s although I don’t remember who taught me the basics. Muscle memory did work when I picked up my next one in November of 2018 though!!

Why did I pick up the YoYo again at the age of 52? I needed to do something about catching things. I have spinal nerve damage from work injuries and I kept dropping items all the time and those glass iPhone screens get expensive! I also needed to stand up more frequently and now I’m up all the time!! I hit the internet and found out about modern YoYo’s. I looked on the internet and found all the popular sites to learn at. So lucky to have so many resources. It was overwhelming trying to find the “right yoyo” so I am so happy I stumbled across Monthly Throw and their amazing purchasing program. It’s a mystery box every month And I have never been disappointed.

It is an amazing “toy”, it is a constant challenge, one can never know it all, it’s relaxing to the point of meditative. Mesmerizing to watch!

Went to my first gathering at PNWR 2020 with my 12 year old nephew!!! What a frigging blast with such an amazing community that welcomes ALL folks no matter age, financial status, race, sex, or anything! No judgement just good people having a great time!!!

The yoyo community is just real so Thank you!!

4 Likes

a buddy of mine moved out of town and i heard that he had ended up homeless. me and a few friends drove out to where we heard he was to save his ■■■. turned out, he had gotten back on his feet by working at a shop that sold skill toys and he didn’t need saving. he got on me about getting into it. he was persistent. we had some good times and made a mark.

10 Likes

At the start of this year (yeah, I’m pretty new to this) I was binging through Veritasium videos on Youtube and was absolutely flabbergasted when I saw the video why offstring yoyos work. That caused me to look for a Flight or Airwave to learn some of the tricks for myself, but I pretty quickly figured out that it is quite a hard task.
That made me buy some more standard 1A unresponsive yoyos, which have made me progress through almost all the first 50 tricks from the Level Up program in the yotricks app. I’m super happy to have gotten into this hobby and hope that I will be able to start my journey into 4A soon.

4 Likes

no joke this is one of the coolest stories ever

3 Likes

I started yoyoing two years ago when I saw a senior performing it at my school. It looked really damn cool and it was similar to what I was interested in at the time (diabolo). I figured it’s probably better to have a yoyo that is pocketable that I can bring around with everywhere I go than to lug around the pretty large diabolo. Yoyos also require so much less space to play compared to the diabolo so I could do insane tricks at home. (I usually have to find a pretty secluded spot to practice the insane diabolo tricks if not ■■■■ will literally hit the (ceiling) fan.) So I went out to spinworkx and got myself a YYF One and a YYF Heist cos I love pocket yoyos. Started my journey with YoTricks and now I have like 60-70 yoyos but still suck pretty hard.

5 Likes

May 2020: got bored like any other kid in lock down Lol and tried to go up and down with my old Butterfly XT. I looked up tips to get it back up and saw this website pop up. I clicked the link, looked at some stuff, and started throwing! :yo-yo:

3 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

My 7th grade P. E. Teacher

2 Likes

Smothers Brothers videos and a Yomega Brain from Cracker Barrel. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Please recap how that happened! Please?

A couple of years ago my son had a cheap novelty yo-yo. I played in elementary school for like 2 months and I wanted to impress him by learning a couple of tricks. Then I saw a video of Ann Connolly on the yo tricks website. I have been playing everyday for a few hours a day ever since

3 Likes

I started yoyoing at 15 when I got a cheap plastic fixie for Christmas. Loved it since I never had a half decent yoyo(better than a dollar or so). Then I tried to untwist and broke it in half… then went thru a lot of cheap ones till I Looked up videos and was hooked…
Years later and I got back into it and am really enjoying picking up 4A( always wondered which A I would pick up) and finishing up 1A tricks I never would have thought I could do when younger

2 Likes

My buddy back in high school was way into it, I picked it up and he gave me a lot of direction. We got older, he graduated, I thought it was kinda boring to play alone. So i took a break(at the time I thought I quit) about 7 years later after getting layed off because of covid, I picked it back up. Now I’m here

2 Likes

he’ll be happy to hear that. I’m doing lessons with him right now.

2 Likes

i started yoyoing after seeing my dad do it a few years ago. i learned the sleeper and kinda gave up cuz i didnt know that all this existed. i havent really had tech, just because my parents have been overprotective when it comes to that, so when i finally looked up yoyo tricks and all this came up, i got a yomega glide, and just started practicing. and ive never stopped.

Toys r us going out of business sale. : (

4 Likes

I got my first real yoyo back in about 1962, when I was about 8 years old - a red Duncan Imperial. BIG day in my life. It came with the booklet with all the little drawings of the tricks. The yoyo demonstrators were on the road back then. I never got to go to a demonstration, but there was stuff all over TV. That yoyo went everywhere with me. I don’t remember what made me stop, maybe ‘grew out of it.’ Yeah, right!

I somehow stumbled back into the yoyo thing in the mid- to late-90s. Bought Terminators (both fixed and BB), Proyo IIs, Fireballs, wooden Duncans, a Raider, a NoJive, Roller Woody, Silver Bullet (wooden axle), then the king of them all - Silver Bullet II. The concept of a ball bearing in a yoyo was a massive game-changer. There was no YouTube at that point, but you could get VHS tapes from Team Yomega, or my favorite - Dennis McBride! Man, that guy blew my mind. His old stuff is still out on YouTube, and is a blast to revisit. He still reminds me of my 7th grade science teacher, but he was amazing with a yoyo. I can tell you that learning a trapeze on one of those early Silver Bullets was indeed an accomplishment. I think my wife about had to revive me the first time I landed one of those. Over time, again, I drifted away. I still have most of these old yoyos, except the wooden Tom Kuhns and Silver Bullets which found new homes on eBay some years ago.

Flash forward to about May, 2020. The COVID pandemic is in full swing, we’re basically in lockdown. While digging through some junk in the basement, my 6-year-old granddaughter spotted a POS Coca Cola yoyo I picked up at some point because I couldn’t help myself. So here we go again. I discovered YoyoExpert.com and all the videos. Within a few weeks I had bought a MagicYoyo V3, then an Arcade, then an Iceberg. AMAZING how yoyos have evolved over the years. Fantastic!

Over the last 9 or 10 months the yoyo has basically been a savior. We couldn’t go anywhere. I fell and fractured my wrist in early July, so guitar, mandolin, fishing - all my usual activities - were impossible. But I could still throw a yoyo left-handed. By the time the cast was taken off, I was doing pretty darned well with my left hand. Now I’m closing in on 67 years old, and still throw an hour or two almost every day. My Death Adder, Basilisk, Free Solo, BMC and the others all get equal play, and I love 'em all.

Much like guitar and mandolin, the amount of yoyo information available online is unreal compared to 30 years ago. Back then you had to dig a lot deeper for guidance. It’s been fantastic not only relearning some of the skills and many new ones, but finding these active communities of throwers who don’t care who you are or how old you are, they only care about throwing. And we all seem to have an unnatural attraction to shiny new toys. In the world of guitars, they call it GAS - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. With mandolins, it’s MAS. I’ve not seen anybody refer to “YAS” yet, but I fear I’m pretty well afflicted. At least I know I’m in good company - and I keep reminding my wife, a good yoyo is a TON cheaper than a mandolin!

The gratification of landing Pop N’ Fresh the first time, or Kamikaze - which I believed to be virtually impossible a few months ago - is second to none. The other gratification is watching my granddaughter. She has appropriated my old blue Butterfly and my Fast Eddie Shooter. They are set up responsive for her, but she can keep 'em going up and down as long as she wants while walking around the house. I doubt she’ll be the next Ann Connelly, but If she hadn’t discovered that old crap Coca Cola yoyo a year ago, I’d likely have lost my mind by now.

13 Likes

My friend got into yoyoing in freshman or sophomore year and I picked up a MYY p.lotor from amazon. I lost interest for a few years, then got back into yoyoing last fall and now have about 6 yoyos.

2 Likes

Was shopping at target for a few things and wanted to get one of those little cast metal puzzles. Didn’t find any but saw a Duncan butterfly xt and thought it looked cool. It was during the beginning of quarantine and was getting pretty bored so I thought why not try yoyoing. For a month or 2 didn’t really do much until I came across gentry stein’s yt channel. Then it basically took off from there, got convinced to get a replay pro and the rest is history.

4 Likes

This one of the best yoyo stories I’ve heard in quite a while! Thanks for sharing @rajones19!!!

3 Likes