What does it mean when bearings die?

So I was browsing through the the forums here and there, and I stumbled on a page regarding ceramic bearings vs regular bearings. On it, there were some people who pointed out that ceramic bearings “lasts longer”.

So…do bearings actually need to be replaced over time even if we take good care of it? What does “lasting longer” in bearings mean? If we do need to replace them, what are some indications that it is soon time to change the bearings?

EDIT: thank you everyone who replied!!!

The bearing locks up, can’t spin as long as it used to even after multiple cleanings, rusts to the point of locking up, outer race cracks, bearing feels crunchy or as if something is stuck in it and can’t be cleaned out. I have never needed to replace my bearings unless the bearing itself cracks.

Generally with a little care, bearings will last forever. I’ve never had to replace a bearing in anything I purchased new. A number of my yoyos are more than 10 years old and have never had any problems. A light lube is all that is required. A few “previously owned” yoyos came with mistreated bearings that needed replacing.

Mistreated - at one time it was somewhat in vogue to burn off the solvent after cleaning a bearing. I’ve had a couple that came that way. They tend to rust rather quickly after that. In other cases the guy told me it went for a swim or was left outside in the rain.

It means that they go to the great yoyo in sky.

I just cleaned out a couple of bearings today. Both bearings came in BST deals.

One came out from a 54, and well, to no surprise, it wasn’t a OD 10-ball, but then again, it was clear in the BST that it wasn’t the original bearing, so there’s no issue between me and the seller. Really bad condition, wouldn’t even spin for a second when flicked. Cleaned it in mineral spirits, dried, lubed(1 drop YYJ thin), spin by hand for a good 5 minutes. Re-cleaned. I think re-lubing the bearing brought up and loosened up an remaining crap so the second cleaning could flush it away. Runs fantastic now.

The other was a YYF bearing, running kinda crunchy. 1 cleaning and it’s spinning fantastic.

Both are in my “spares” pile now.

So, make an effort first. But, dead is dead too. If you’re not making progress cleaning the bearing, don’t waste your time or resources.

I noticed that the bearing that came with chief (that I got for Christmas) was causing a slight vibe, so I desheilded it to see if any thing was wrong. It looks as if the cage is off center and is touching the inner race of the bearing causing vibe and decreasing spin. Ordered an aigr to fix it.

When a bearing dies it means; a tiny casket, a tiny funeral, a tiny headstone. Then after a few days of waiting for the mail or after a short drive to the hardware store it is replaced. If forgotten those bearing spirits return and become poltergiests, causing all types of yoing problems.

(What was I thinking?! Sorry, I must be more tired than I thought.)

Beat me to it!

This is what it means…

…a favorite oldie from the Area 51 archives!

db

1 Like