What did you get in the mail, 2024?

free solo :clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses::boom::clinking_glasses::boom::clinking_glasses::boom:

30 Likes

youā€™re in for a treat with the FS! such a great yoyo

2 Likes

Oooh splash free solo looks so great

Yeah, thatā€™s what I was doing for a bit but then I started thinking, is it really worth it? I could change my mind of course, still so new to all this, I donā€™t really know what Iā€™m doing yet. I just avoid the c-clip at all costs at this point but Iā€™m going to have to figure it out eventually without ruining the bearing of course. :grimacing:

1 Like

Do you lube them with the shields on, or do you just skip the lube? Do they clean well with the shields on? Only thing I have found, is that when I over lubed a bearing with the shields on, I was able to fix it by just doing the normal cleaning method, so it seems to work with lube but I donā€™t think it would work with smaller particles or debris getting in there somehowā€¦ for instance the tip of an xacto blade, lol.

1 Like

Really? Iā€™ve tossed all mine but if I every get another one off, Iā€™ll have to try it.

2 Likes

I save all my shields as shims for other yoyos. c clips get added to a bag of junk cause Iā€™m a pack rat that thinks I can salvage usage of stuff.

personally, I run bearings dry remove shields and clean them in batches. I buy a bunch of bearings so I can just swap them when they get dirty and have a clean and a dirty pile.

with the humidity, how I run string a tad longer than I should, have cats and also other particulate that gets into stuff I find unshielded bearings are easiest to clean and reduce my headache in the long run. yeah, shields keep them clean, but I just donā€™t see a reason to leave them on.

as for new I leave my yoyo or bearing alone as is from factory until it starts playing odd then I Deshield I donā€™t automatically do this itā€™s just when its time it gets added to the pile and eventually when I hit a critical mass, I remove shields and clean a batch to replenish my clean pile.

6 Likes

I like this idear, rather than wasting time on each individual bearing one at a time, just put some time aside and do them all at once. Iā€™ll have to find my groove.

1 Like

yeah i bought a bunch of bulk CT bearings from Ross just so i can cycle bearings instead of yoyos and can play whatever yoyo i want. This does mean my bearing collection is silly but when i hit the point i have to clean them i do the boring task of bearing maintenance during a work call or something where i really canā€™t yoyo anyway and my hands are free.

2 Likes

I need to start doing thisā€¦ I threw a bunch away the past couple of weeks.

Iā€™ve been using @bobafret 's X-Acto technique lately, lot more leverage than needles, and a lot less finger pricks.

4 Likes

D20 counterweight, foxtail strings, and some rain city goodies.

They are not Yoyos but still fun stuff!

18 Likes

Yeah I always lube (bc quieter) and I just do a fat drop of lube, spin it a little on my bearing tool, then use clean paper to soak up any excess by just like rubbing the bearing on the paper. Theyā€™ll usually go responsive for like 5-15 mins but I just play them until they go back to being Unresponsive. I have never had a bearing break and just soak and shake in a jar with alcohol to clean and usually wipe out the bearing seat area as well. I rarely ever have to do bearing maintenance and play my yo-yos a ton.

6 Likes

Yup! I too have become luberā€™. Believe!!

One of each today, with new strings, the whole nine yards.

32 Likes

Where did you find these? They are beautiful.

I throw them all away but think Iā€™ll keep the next set. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Processing: 20240426_090419.jpgā€¦
Not many M-shaped in my collection just yet, and here comes a trimetal !

Hello ! Iā€™m new here, can you explain what the bearing seat is ? And how one is supposed to clean it ?

1 Like

So, I was kinda bored recently and ended up randomly browsing through eBay ā€œKleinanzeigenā€ for yo-yos. I was willing to buy a yoyo for 30 or 50 euros, in case I would see something desirable, like another OneDrop or something else.

Then I saw someone was selling these 10 yo-yos + a broken grind machine + a case for about 90 euros shipping included. :flushed:

• DV888 (okā€¦)
  • Hubstack (funny and interesting)
  • Henry Lizard (good for giving to newbies)
  • Duncan Metal Drifter
    (looks cool!)
  • QU4DRO (hmm, why not?)
  • Magic Yo N9 Float (ok, cool)
  • Boss Yoyofactory (ok)
  • Superstar Bimetal (yeah! i have the superstar 2024 and i love it!)
  • Shutter (always wanted to have that)
  • Protostar (interesting, read good things about it)

It was such a steal that I couldnā€™t resist. They shipped them out right away, and I got them delivered the day before yesterday.

Iā€™m totally thrilled about it and can hardly believe my luck. Just having so many yo-yos gives me a lot to experiment with, and I find it really exciting to see how different they are.

The best thing is, now I can partake in any nerd discussion about the DV888 and awake @codinghorror by mentioning it.

Speaking about the DV888 because I read (sadly BEFORE I tried it), that it plays like a rockā€¦ it surprisingly actually felt a bit like a rock. :man_shrugging:

Interestingly, the QU4DRO is very similar to the DV888 when comparing the weight and also the overall size.

I already tried to play them right after each other to really find out if the prejudices against the DV888 are really justified or just imagination.

At the moment, Iā€™m more inclined to think that the QU4DRO plays quite fluid and elegant and the DV888 is indeed stone-likeā€¦ but that might change.

On a sidenote, the Metal Drifter came without a bearing; Iā€™ve ordered one yesterday. It seems to need a size A, strangely other than mentioned on the Duncan website!? My size C bearings are too big.

My new favorite yoyo is the Superstar Bimetal. I still like the Klondike and the Cascade tooā€¦ but wow, the Superstar Bimetal is enormously smooth and charming and very stable.

The broken ā€œgrind machineā€ā€¦ iā€™ve put that into one of my assamblages (is that a word in englich? idk) which I made over 10 years ago for fun. Haha.

Ps: after seeing a used shutter offered here in the forums for 25 usd , maybe ~ 90 euros where not a complete stealā€¦ anyway iā€™m still very happy with the purchase. :innocent:

19 Likes