What did you get in the mail, 2024?

Thanks for sharing that… I actually like the sound of the bearings when they aren’t lubed. I can get a feel for how much spin I have left just by the sound they make. I hate the shields too but I can’t stand removing them either. I’ve watched videos where they just take a pin or needle and pop the c-clamp out with little effort. I even went out and bought the plyers that have the rounded space to fit the bearings in, I bought a pack of good strong pins, I even saw… what’s his name… Dazzling Dave, use an XACTO knife to pop them out so I went out and bought one of those, and a bunch of replacement of blades, I keep breaking off the tips (can’t ever find it either, which worries me that either me or my daughter will end up stepping on one, though I clean up frequently, it’s still a concern) and still can’t pop that lil c-clamp off, it really frustrates me. I almost always end up jabbing myself with the pin and/or blade too. I started buying Pixel bearings just because they don’t come with those damn shields, they’ve been good bearings as far as I can tell.

4 Likes

I’ve been using the same pin to remove C clips for like 12 years. Don’t worry, it’s not always as easy as the videos make it looks. Sometimes it’s real easy, sometimes it feels impossible. My pin looks like it’s been through about 100 exorcisms it’s so bent up from poking at C clips that didn’t want to come off. I recommend against the xacto knife for exactly what you’re afraid of. Don’t want that tip in anyone or anything’s foot. The best advice I can give is to do it under a light so you can see very clearly and to think of it as “lifting” the C clip’s end upwards with the pin rather than anything else. And hold your thumb/a finger over the other side of the clip so it doesn’t go flying. I just throw the clips away, but I don’t want the random trash on my floor somewhere.

Sorry your yoyo came with a dirty or possibly bunk bearing new. It happens. If it’s not a style of bearing you even like, don’t sweat just tossing the thing in the trash and replacing it. You really can’t go wrong with CT/Pixel style bearings. They are the best out there imo. My personal preference is CT just because they’re the easiest to get cheap in bulk and they are stock on YYF yoyos.

7 Likes

Thanks, I’ll keep working at it. I feel like once I get my first one off properly, it should be easier from there on out, just another yoyo trick, haha. Yeah, it’s not a big deal, I always try to prepare for the worst, I have 14 good quality bearings for backups and maybe 7 cheapies from my very early days, just buying them on Amazon, the cheap ones really aren’t that bad if I’m honest, they are louder but they still do the job. I take the good ones that come with the plastic yoyo’s that I don’t use as much and use the Amazon bearings in those so I can use the good ones or have back ups on my more prized throws.

I was wondering what came stock on the YYF yoyo’s, I’ve always had good luck with their bearings as well as YoTricks bearings, in fact are they one in the same? Not their VIP bearings but their Center Trak bearings, I like both.

This is what I’m using or attempting to use for the c-clamp/clip whatever they are called.

And yeah, I think I’ll stay away from the xacto blades for this purpose and master the pin. Or just stick with Pixels (honestly, I’ll probably just stick with Pixels, lol)

8 Likes

That piece is called a circlip. And I use this little puppy.

5 Likes

Oh, I like that, has a nice bend to it… does that help or is that just from all the use it gets?

For real? At this stage, I’m pretty gullible, so I’ll be the guy calling it that from now on.

3 Likes

I have clocked my Wyvern’s spin time at 6 matrices…

7 Likes

Nice… good tight bind at the finish? I still haven’t tested since changing the bearings but I definitely see a huge improvement… I’ve been too busy working and chatting here… time to go throw!

5 Likes

Yup. Good and tight. I had lubed this bearing a tiny bit a ways back because the noise was bothering my wife. I imagine clean could go further. I failed my bind at 8 matrices.

2 Likes

For reals esse.
It’s a large sewing needle. It was straight before.

2 Likes

Been wanting one of these for a long time. Thank you @fatguysnacks247 ! It has arrived at last!

24 Likes

I’ve gotten 8 matrices on the Yoshicuda. It seems like the Yoshi could do more but I can’t break that barrier without incident. :rofl:

4 Likes

While technically correct, that’s as broad a use case word as calling every sedan, motorcycle, truck, suv, minivan, sports car, super car, etc an Automobile. :hugs:

Although we work with relatively small sizes of circlips, I’ve noticed over the years how yo-yo bearing models (mainly C size bearings) have had a number of variations of their “188” part number which is obviously why some bearings come de-shielded, as well as a few different variations of shielded, be it with a removable c-clip (type-c snap ring/retaining ring) or a lesser seen these days crimp sealed shielded bearing, most c-sized bearings are manufactured with the option of adding the appropriate size shield and C-clip. Some data sheets refer to it as a c-type and have their own specialty SKU# data number unique to their company or a have a standardized UPC# and model/tolerance specs of the type of snap ring, retaining clip, c-clip, circlip, etc that it uses.
Typically in the flat angled styles seen below.
With the angled tips being either “/\” or “//“

TLDR: circlip or c-clip is still correct, but we’ve all called it a “get out of there you little :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:” at some point. :joy: :sewing_needle:

…And yes a yellow ball tipped sewing pin or very fine tipped sewing needle is your best option for removing them.

4 Likes

But man! It hurts when your needle slips and you stick your thumb! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. I definitely don’t recommend an xacto knife, no way.

This was my stance for a long time. I’ve come to find that the process is VERY delicate. Even lube on the end of a needle tip may be too much. You really have to let that initial drop fall of the tip then just stick the needle in the bearing in a few spots. It’s the smallest amount the does the trick. I use this setup where I stick this thumb tack style needle in the bottle, turn it upside down so some of the lube coats the needle. Pulling it out wipes the majority off the needle. I find that the frequency of cleaning bearings is way, way, way down. Absolutely no break-in period either.

10 Likes

I never remove the shields bc it’s unnecessary and I’m lazy. I also think they stay clean longer like that but that might be placebo. Fwiw just my experience.

4 Likes

I use c-clips to remove c-clips.

They work perfect.

9 Likes

Best birthday gift ever ! Ain’t it a beauty ? :slight_smile:

32 Likes

This photo provides a size reference for my new Duckling.

It is such a nice playing unresponsive in a small package.

27 Likes

As long as I’m right.

8 Likes

You’re Not Wrong.

4 Likes

Received my clear organic pleasure. Really enjoy how they play and feel.

Big thanks to @addiction77

32 Likes