What caused you to stop learning new tricks?

Yeah finding the tricks to learn us definitely a struggle

2 Likes

The amount of tricks you have learned most certainly does not matter. I always wonder what I’ve forgotten haha. That’s why I try to record every new trick. Also you don’t need to know every trick in the world. If you got a pretty deep bag of tricks and it takes a good bit to throw all of them then you’re probably set.

1 Like

That’s what I’m talking about!! That’s exactly why this thread was for. Just to spark some discussion as well as learn about the various reasons one might stop learning. You’re gonna be very successful at whatever trick that you try to learn

2 Likes

Remembering everything that goes into a complex trick is not easy.

1 Like

It would be cool if someone started to integrate 3d rendering and models into trick videos. Like how they do in engineering breakdowns haha. Quickly showing and moving angles are the string and showing a full breakdown

4 Likes

This would take so much work haha. Great idea though

1 Like

Warning: Typical (but slightly different) Nightshadow post on getting better at yoyoing incoming. If you’re already tired of Nightshadow’s garbage, it’s probably best to skip this one :joy:

Yeah, I get where you’re coming from with this question for sure. It’s something that I wonder about often as well.

I see guys in the community that have been hovering around the beginner to intermediate level of yoyoing for YEARS. You can see it in their break away throw. And as you say, that’s cool.

The most popular opinion on the forums seems to be in the vain of “I’m happy where I’m at, everyone enjoys it differently, not everyone wants to learn newer or more advanced tricks, etc, etc…”

And I get that, for sure. While I really groove on improving myself through practice, and it has dictated many of my important life choices as far as career goals, music study and such, not everyone does. I like apples, he likes oranges.

But what I CANT understand is people who refuse to try apples at all. And yes, yes, I understand that taking a bite of an apple is easier than moving past the intermediate level on yoyoing.

But the difference is less than many here seem to think it is. Forget 2 hours a day, forget half an hour. I’m talking ten focused minutes a day, to get a some more competence. To learn some new tricks.

All I’m saying is, the problem with saying “you have no interest in learning new tricks or improving” is that you’re knocking on something you haven’t even tried. And given that you’re already posting on a yo-yo forum, probably own multiple expensive yoyos, going ahead and “trying it” isn’t a great leap. Who knows? You might just like having more tricks and expertise under your belt! I’ve been told it’s pretty fun.

The apples are lower hanging fruit than they seem.

6 Likes

But I do think it’s worth noting that not everyone likes to learn other people’s tricks the best. (And before I sound like a hypocrite with respect to my previous post, I spent YEARS learning other people’s tricks when I was starting. I have certainly tried that thoroughly).

Some people like to make tricks more than learn from others. For example, I haven’t followed an online trick tutorial in at least 5 years. My trick set has been entirely my own for the vast majority of my throwing.

And as a result, it’s real weird :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Like the opposite of meta, haha.

But yeah, some don’t learn others tricks as much because they’re making their own!

4 Likes

Reading all the comments is very interesting and gives some pretty good insight. I just assumed that a yoyo forum would mainly be filled with people that are like the most passionate yoyoers in terms of growing in skill (like eat,sleep, breathe yoyos) and all the people that just throw every once in awhile for a few minutes to relax, wouldn’t even really bother with a forum. I was completely wrong though that’s why you should never assume. It seems most people that come to the forum daily just want to relax and don’t care about improving and most of the ones that do aren’t on the forum. Very interesting. I’m just happy we all love yoyos haha

5 Likes

When you create, you learn. There is always something to be learned from something that is being created

1 Like

I dunno man. Learning tricks was super easy when I was just following a playlist on yotricks. The structure helped. Now I dont even know what Id learn. Ill learn a trick if I think it looks cool and I get a burst of motivation!

Its gotta be a really good looking trick for me to slow down an instagram video.

Also I feel like Ive learnt a bunch of tricks that I thought looked cool but when im doing them they dont feel great to do? Does that make sense? And Im not going to be doing tricks that dont feel good to do so I forget them.

Another factor is. Doing other people’s tricks doesn’t even have the pay off of making a video and posting it somewhere lol. So Im more inclined to learn a single element than a whole trick.

6 Likes

This (on the whole) is something I’d agree with. And it’s something I’ve had to grapple with.

I know I mentioned that I’ve been on the forums for years, from the time I was just a kid, eager to talk about starting yoyoing. And in that time (especially in the last 3 years or so) I’ve seen the switch to what you’re describing happen.

Which makes me a little sad, because I still try to get better at throwing everyday. I still dream of where I can take my yoyoing. What I can create with it.

And I wish I had more people to talk to about those thoughts here.

1 Like

That makes sense. When I learn someone’s tricks is just for all the elements I eventually use those elements to make my own tricks

You got me my friend. I’m getting really comfortable with horizontal

2 Likes

I come here because I don’t have a local community. This is the only place I interact with other throwers

2 Likes

Dude! I’m so stoked to hear that! I actually just finished my exams yesterday, so I’ll be recording that video I mentioned today.

Send me a video of your horizontal sometime if you’d like. I’d love to see :+1:

2 Likes

I just dm you a video

1 Like

I’ll go a few months without picking anything up, and then I usually get a burst of inspiration after seeing something cool. Part of it is that tricks become a lot harder to learn after a certain point, and therefore a bit more frustrating for me. That doesn’t mean it’s not fun, and finally landing a trick I’ve been chasing is an amazing feeling, but it’s definitely different from the relaxing flow of running through stuff I’ve already done 1000 times.

Also, I feel like there’s almost some sort of ‘general yoyo proficiency’ stat that goes up at least a little bit over enough time even if you’re not doing anything new. After a couple months of doing a whole bunch of kamikaze, spirit bomb, turbo repeater rail combos, etc, I went back to some tricks I had had little success with like whip to 1.5 and reverse hook and found them much more approachable, even though I hadn’t worked on any other new whips/hooks.

1 Like

I come to the forum because I want more time with yoyos but literally don’t have time to throw

2 Likes

This. Sitting in my office at my home, phat rack of jojos like 6 yards away from me, but no availability to get up and actually use them.

Also this. I know of one other thrower in Tucson, he made some dope shirts a while back and I met up with him a couple times to BST some pieces, but especially now there is 0 live interaction. I think if I had access to an actual yoyo club or something similar I’d likely learn more just by seeing others and saying “you gotta show me how you did that”.

2 Likes