Weird experiments/ mods done on yo-yos?

So I’m a welding student and one of my instructors and I had the idea to TIG weld an aluminum bead around my old YoYoFactory dv888 and surprisingly it’s actually kind of fun to use. Wondering if anyone out here has done some crazy mods.

10 Likes

We’re gonna need some pics.

12 Likes

Yeah, human brains are limited

2 Likes

My friend taped heavy disks to both sides of a dollar tree yoyo and now it’s over 200 grams?

3 Likes

Beautiful​:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Heck yeah! I’ll post them later today when I get back from class

3 Likes

@yoyodoc May have a couple pics…

He’s the fella you want in this thread. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@YoYoExpertGarrett Care to show us the Overthrow thingy again?

Have you boys ever hears of the…

Catsup Mod ?

:wink:

8 Likes

Indeed Zammy! Greatest mod of all time.

3 Likes

Well, you can’t just leave us hanging like that.

1 Like

That is a really cool idea🙀

I’m only chiming in because I am a Professional welder(at least for the past 50 years…)

My specialty just happens to be T.I.g. Welding aluminum🤡

That is such a slick idea; haha.

I sure never thought of it.

Your instructor is a Genius.

6 Likes

Sorry for the wait everyone. Here it is. I took the bearing and axel out for the photo

6 Likes

That’s awesome that I finally met a fellow welder on this form! He is very clever. He actually use to work for a company that was contracted for GE and Rolls Royce to weld the fins on a jet turbine. His tolerance was 0.05 of an inch :grimacing:! He’s an amazing welder tho.

1 Like

Also for everyone on here wondering how it plays this is my best description for it… It plays like the weight of a Monster Edge but literately in the size of a dv888. The weight really helps landing 1.5 mount tricks and gives you some good training for power throws. Biggest down side is that since we didn’t paint or polish it, it sucks at snap starting. I was using a One Drop Prescription and that snap started so easily. It was a fun experiment to try out and really gave me an appreciation of how adding just a few grams really makes a difference in a yo-yo.

1 Like

I also think it’s ironic that he wants to make a yo-yo company:joy:

1 Like

MO! By chance do you have an online gallery of all the mods you’ve done over the years?

I remember how hyped people would get when they saw the mirrors up and display your various mind boggleing pieces of mod-art-work!!

ROLLERSNAKES FOR THE WIN

4 Likes