We need more high-end small bearing throws...

I made a post like this about 2-3 years ago. At that point, it was already very difficult to find an unresponsive, high-end small bearing yoyo. Now, it is all but impossible.

Virtually every new yoyo that is released uses the C-sized bearing. I have no problems with large bearings, but I personally prefer size A. Even more size D bearing throws would be very nice.

What is the reason for this? I have my own theory on the matter, but will refrain from sharing it because it might offend some people.

Am I the only one left around who loves small bearings?

C bearings are bigger and they spin longer.

I believe the Skyline from YYF is A bearing sized, as well as most Duncan’s. Metal Drifter comes to mind

The Square Wheels Rex is actually a D size bearing, you should look into that yoyo.

It’s supposed to be releasing in a few weeks.

the Rex looks awesome! And don’t all Hspin yoyos have D size bearings?

I know Yomega has wierd sized bearings.

Just go over and look at a Hspin yoyo and see if its a C or D.

i really like the underdog, by matt schmitt. small bearin’, single side/wide sticker size deep recess, freehand profile. really heavy…

mgodinez

light rain…

No, they do not spin longer. Only advantage they provide is a wider gap without using spacers. The diameter ratio between the bearing and the rims of the yoyo is what affects spin time, in which small bearings decimate a large bearing.

Small bearings might be more inclined to snag every once in a while, but that’s the result of sloppy technique, not the bearing.

I adore smaller bearing throws, and D-bearing throws. D-bearing skywalker FTW! I’ll definitely try and get my hand on a Rex when it comes out.

They’re more readily available
The Yoyorecreation Fragment uses a size D bearing, and its great.

This guy right here has his head in the right place.

I find A and D bearings far superior to C bearings, for what I’m looking for at least. The whole “bigger is better” mentality, and the delusion that smaller bearings are more responsive, makes me go nuts.

The Slithering Hippo Aa7 is a beefcaked A size that plays amazingly well. youe get this nice sized gap and the A sized bearing.

I’d say that small bearings are better because they provide more torque, thus allowing for longer spins.

I know it’s been covered already, but the Rex by Square Wheels is getting love from everyone that throws it. It was an extremely hot seller at our booth at Cal States. Once I came back we actually had to order a second run of them.

Some specs:
Diameter: 57mm
Weight: 68g
Bearing: D
Response: Square Wheels D-Pad or Flowable Silicone

I’ve heard a couple of people say that the Rex is like “crazy bind training wheels”. Due to the inner wall and response configuration, it returns with a tight bind even on very little spin. The pads that it uses are manufactured in house with a durable silicone that doesn’t take much break in time, but lasts a long while. Each Rex comes with an extra set.

There are a few out in the wild, but we expect that YYE will have a small supply in stock as soon as we finish the anodizing.

1 Like

Check out duncan’s Screaming Eagle series. A lot of those are small bearing.

1 Like

Forgot about those.

No, not at all. In theory, an A sized bearing would spin longer, since the string gets more wraps around the bearing, providing a higher RPM when you throw it, but in yoyos, it’s not enough of a difference. The longer spinning time is mostly caused by people thinking wider gap=longer sleep times, and because the high end throws out there are all C sized, when really, like BattleToads said, it’s caused by sloppy play.

D sized. I missing A sized bearings too. But if you want a few D sized yoyos, check out Aoda products, very cheap for an amazing metal throw. Now, I’m going off to try and find a BBYY Wedgie. If anyone has one, I WILL TRADE SO MUCH FOR A MINT ONE. These were pretty much the top yoyo in the chain of small bearing yoyos.

The REX is awesome. I have mine already! I’m not into D bearings, but this one is amazing.

No, not all H-Spin use D Bearings. I have a Corli Prototype and it uses a Euro-C, but can also take a C bearing.

If I make a yoyo, it will be small bearing.