Size A bearings vs. Size C bearings

What’s the difference (other than size obviously) between these bearings?

Nothing.

I’m not going to say nothing, since it is wrong.

There are many differences between how a yoyo behaves depending on the bearing. These are not to be confused with absolute facts, as the yoyo and it’s response are important as well.

The general consensus is that small bearing yoyos spin faster on a throw, and are generally more stable at low speeds. They tend to bind tighter as well, since the loop you are throwing into the gap can wrap around the axis faster.

On the string, a large bearing yoyo is usually less stable and has a higher likelyhood to precess. This is because the string is farther from the axis of spin. Since a small bearing yoyo has the string resting closer to this center, they tend to be more stable.

Regarding the response, don’t believe anyone telling you small bearing yoyos are responsive. They are full of crap. With a standard silicone or pad response, with an appropriate gap, they can perform just as well (or, in my opinion, better) than a comparable yoyo with a larger bearing.

1 Like

He didn’t ask how they play ;D

But it’s quite obvious. Otherwise, why would you ask? You can’t use the different bearings in the same yoyo, right?

I think Pat’s sarcasm meter is broken.

welcome to internet

Actually, yes you can. I have a spinstastics revolver that I have used both the stock spintastics bearing and a YYJ large bearing in using the Buzzon bearing adapter kits that used to be available. It think it actually played better w/the YYJ bearing.

tricky tricky :wink:

In my opinion, it’s still wrong to give a matter-a-fact simple answer when I believe there are many differences between the two.

a revolver eh? i miss those days

Yes, life was simpler then. :wink:

I would say that there’s probably a very good reason why a particular bearing was chosen to used in a yoyo and why the yoyo was designed with that bearing size in mind. Otherwise something else would have been chosen for the application and design.

Since the bearings are different sizes, I would assume they aren’t going to be interchangeable without mods, specialized inserts/spacers/shims or some other method that would involve a permanent change to the yoyo in question.

While I’m new, I’m not worried about stuff like bearing sizes. It’s that size for a reason. I didn’t design it, I’m not going to question it much. As long as the bearing spins and the yoyo is functioning properly, I don’t think I really care beyond that. I’m not going to alter a purchase decision based on the yoyo’s bearing not being a C-bearing. Although, all my stuff at the moment uses C-size bearings(Except the Mighty Flea and the Aoda Little One), it’s not something that’s going to make me say “whoah, I’m not getting that, it’s got this an (A or C) sized bearing.”

Large and small bearing Hectic…

But, is the yoyo designed for one or the other? As in:
Is there a large bearing Hectic AND a sepparate small bearing Hectic?

Either way, it’s nice to offer choices.

I think it was the same yoyo, but you could buy either. But yes, choices are nice… I think the same thing was done with the dv888 for a while.

Yes there is.

I think mostly what you find is that a manufacturer will pretty much use one size bearing across their entire line, with a few exceptions. The “very good” reason being commonality of parts.

Well, even though offering a yoyo in two bearing offerings largely invalidates my argument, but that’s fine. My position is more that to me, I’m not going to care. But for those who DO have a preference, hey, nice to have such a choice.

I may never get to a level where I’ll develop such a preference. Who knows. I’ll keep my mind open.

Either way, I’m not going to discount a yoyo purchase based on bearing size. It will only be an issue when I need to replace the bearing, should that ever become an issue.

Truth be known, most of my regularly played yoyos are large bearing. I do have a small bearing hectic and I love it. I’ve not had the chance to play a large bearing version so I don’t really know if it’s the small bearing that makes it what it is or if it’s just a part of the whole package.

Okay, let me rephrase my question. How does a Size A bearing play compared to a Size C bearing? Thanks for all the feedback so far though.

How have we not answered your question yet? A bearing yoyos you can bind at lower RPMs and are more stable for longer. The C bearing is more commonly used. At least I think we’ve said all this already…