D bearings? Why?

What’s up with the love for small bearings? Is there any discernible feel/ difference. Curious if it’s something worth me messing with :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve been wondering the same thing. There’s a D bearing in my Warhawk proto, but I don’t notice how it’s really different in any way from a typical C bearing.

2 Likes

Idk if it’s the d bearing… But there is something seriously special about the Don which is a d bearing throw

6 Likes

it comes down to physics, which does not support the D-bearing as advantageous - just faster for a little while - which longer spin time still gets the upper hand in my book rockin a c-bearing…

2 Likes

Along with this, d-bearing yoyos bind a little bit tighter too.

7 Likes

and they are smaller pieces prone to interference by smaller bits of matter.

4 Likes

I have noticed that the D bearing yoyos i throw have a nice chill relax to them. Easy throws spin fast and bind slow. They don’t spin as long as C though. I really like them

2 Likes

They definitely make a difference. I’ve found C bearing yoyos tend to be a little floatier feeling than their D bearing counterparts.

3 Likes

D bearings are cool but I think I still like c bearings better

3 Likes

I don’t have any D bearings but know some people here love them. They never mentioned a quicker loss of spin or less spin time. Is this just a given with D bearings? If I got a D bearing yoyo should I just expect it to have less spin time than a C bearing?

5 Likes

I have a good few D and A size bearings throws - I’m not a fanatic but I do like the change in style and pace they provide. Reminds me of the early days of unresponsive yoyos.

9 Likes

I thought my d bearing was dirty or worn out because it wasn’t spinning as long as some other yoyos, but then read a post here somewhere talking about that feature/effect. I’ve got Cs that don’t spin as long because they were either overlubed or dirty or some other issue, so for me it hasn’t been a problem.

4 Likes

If you throw a D bearing then change to a C then change back to D bearing throw you can notice the difference. Then you should be able to feel the differences when you pick up either or…

3 Likes

Could someone explain why? According to me the pad area available is smaller since a d bearing is smaller and thus it should give a weaker bind.

I have a kappa and in play I dont notice any difference but in binds I feel like I have the same number of slipped binds but the binds that do work are a bit tighter. I dont understand why tho.

4 Likes

Wait are you saying your Kappa has a D Bearing? And Kappa as in Throw Spiral Kappa? If so I wasn’t aware there was a D bearing version.

3 Likes

Haha pretty sure kappa(yeah throwspiral) only has a d bearing version
… Wait i might be wrong on that
Im dumb as hell. Kappa is C bearing. Have no clue why i thought it wasnt
Disregard anything I have said ever

5 Likes

D bearing has a smaller diameter. Think about gears and how gears work. The same rpm but rotate quicker. Larger diameter will make you go farther on the same rpm but spin slower. So D bearings keep the rpms higher which makes binding easier. Its only a small difference but once you notice its easier to feel.
Hope this makes sense

9 Likes

That does make sense. I have a fern(i swear to god if that isnt d bearing I dont know whats wrong with me) and that does have an extremely tight bind but I wasnt sure if thats just because they made the gap width so it was easy to bind or not.

1 Like

Have someone modding a freehand zero for me to take a d bearing and silicone, so it’ll be an interesting experience

2 Likes

Lol, hey man i thought you had some super secret D bearing version. I was feeling jealousy brewing within myself lol. All good though. Interesting the about the binds slipping though. I haven’t had issues with my Kappa. I did with the new Gully from Good Life. However after a couple hours of play it seemed to stop. As if it needed to like “break in” or something. It was very strange. Never really had that happen to me. I’m curious if you constantly experience that with your Kappa, or was it just initially?

3 Likes