Anyone have much experience throwing with size D bearing?

I have a yoyo review coming up, and I don’t have a lot of experience with size D bearings, I know a lot of oversized throws use the D’s but I would call this a mid sized, and on the lighter side.
Diameter 55 mm
Width 42 mm
Weight 65 grams
“And not so sure about the string gap”
I just find it a bit odd they went with the size D.
The throw is the Henry’s M2. So if anyone has ever used one I would love some feed back on it. I’m just trying to gain a little knowledge before it arrives,
Thanks ;D

One of my favourite throws is the Sturm Panzer Leo Sniper MkII which uses a D-bearing, and is under 60g (diameter 56 mm, width 40mm). There’s nothing inherently better or worse about D-bearing throws, but they are subtly different to their C-bearing counterparts. If I remember correctly they typically exhibit higher early-throw RPMs, but tend to decline more rapidly in RPM. I like the feel of a D-bearing in a mid-sized throw (another great example of which is the D-Skywalker from the now-defunct VsNYYC). A more recent D-bearing number is the Square Wheels Rex. Typically these throws are fewer in number primarily because C-bearings have become the standard and many people simply don’t want the hassle of having to buy a whole array of different bearing sizes in order to service their throws.

Slowyojoe, there is no noticeable difference. As long as the weight placement is the same, the deceleration of the yoyo will stay the same. The part about the smaller bearing yoyo having more rotation is correct though.

The who RPM thing would make sense.
Just like a vehicle with bigger rims must expend more fuel to maintain the same RPMs as it’s smaller rimmed counterpart

Except that the larger rims only matter when increasing/decreasing rpm’s.

I liked the D bearing Skywalker I had but preferred the C bearing model as far as play went as I found the D bearing model to be a bit more slippy on binds and slightly less stable overall.

Fragment and Uragment are both absolutely incredible throws. I have no clue if/how the D bearing improved the play of those throws but they are 2 very unique and phenomenal yoyos.

I’d love to try the Leo Sniper MKII at some point, I’ve heard only good things and it has quite a bit of visual appeal.

I have the Rex and the Radian Super Light, which are both D-bearing yoyos. It’s hard to say without comparing like-to-like (ie. playing a C-bearing Rex) but it does seem true that they generate higher RPM on the throw-- and because of physics that I don’t fully understand, this also means the yoyo hits the end of the string a bit more gracefully but with less momentum. I like that graceful hit, but if you are the kind of person who absolutely rips right into speed combos from the first throw, it might be tricky.

There’s an ever-so-subtle “kick back” which results in the yoyo going at a slightly different trajectory on the throw that you’re used to with C-bearings. Not much, but a bit. It ties into that whole RPM and ‘graceful to the end of the string’ thing. I’m sure it’s all a part of the same set of principles of physics that I couldn’t even attempt to explain. :wink:

So has anyone thrown the Henry’s M1 or M2.
The only difference is the colors. And they prob had to drop the M1 name after realizing their was already a yoyo that went by that name lol

The physics is quite simple, the smaller bearing allows the string to be closer to the center because the yoyo rotates more times for the distance of the string that gets unwound.

1 Like

That explains the higher RPM… but the graceful hit at the end of the string and the kickback? I’m sure it’s simple, too, but I can’t fathom how to explain something that just seems obvious by feel. :wink:

i tried m1 and it’s a decent throw. good finish for grinds, pads that last forever and a great feeling. but note that I prefer smaller bearings and you might not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the “spikes” in the hubs which are trademark with all Henry yoyos. Look as tho they would interfere with doing thumb grinds and other inter rim grids.

It’s been a while since I played it, but I think thumb grinds are possible… finger spins - not so much

I have no idea about the kickback. We haven’t gotten to that unit yet in AP Physics. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Regarding the Henry’s M1: Compared to other throws in it’s price range, well…it gets completely blown out of the water. There’s no other way to put it. It’s like a bad knockoff of the Spyy punchline. Unless your getting one for super cheap or something, or just like to throw money down the toilet, your much better off spending your hard earned dollars on a yyf budget throw like the cypher or shutter–or a one drop benchmark.

We’ll, I’m actually getting it for free lol, Henry’s is sending me the M2, coral snake, and tiger snake to review. And zeekio is sending me the zenith, which I’m very excited about. I’ve been wanting to review a Delrin yoyo

And it is their very first all metal throw, so I wouldn’t be too harsh on them lol.

I own henry’s M1 for more than a year with original response pads on it and I throw it almost every day. Thumb grinds are possible on this yoyo. It is a decent yoyo, fun to throw but, in my opinion, for that price there are much better choices.

As for gap width, I do not know how wide it is, but it comes originally with two shims and I read somewhere on this forum that it works best with 3 shims.

If they are sending it to you for a review, it would be nice if you can make them send you spare shims and an axle removing tool.

1 Like

[quote=“GregP,post:7,topic:70110”]
This is likely due to the smaller bearing diameter letting the string engage the response for a further distance of the string before the rest slips out of the gap and hits the bottom at the end of the throw. With C bearing yoyos, this slip happens along a longer amount of string, resulting in a more noticeable thunk.

1 Like

Sounds good.

For kickback, the smaller bearing means the string is closer to the center and thus has less torque, so more force is needed to get the same speed of throw as with a large bearing.