D bearings? Why?

Been playing it for a few months. Maybe a pad change might help. I hadnt changed the pads since I didnt have an d bearing ones🤦🏽🤦🏽🤦🏽🤦🏽

1 Like

D bearings have a shorter spin time than C bearings?

3 Likes

yes, it comes down to
forces, and torque (moment). on a d-bearing the lever is applied a shorter distance from the axis, that torque will turn to velocity once it’s direction has changed, and continues to change - there’s less distance to apply more torque on the axis especially on a regen or something. the c-bearing is giving you that extra leverage from the axis. you may not see the same speeds….

or maybe i wasnt paying attention in physics

7 Likes

Then what about speed? Even a little slower on C bearing can prevent binding

2 Likes

well, you could go into a few factors there. on the FTY PV44 we added a little bit of weight from the prototo pick up on some of those spaces. it’s working with your design. d-bearings are popular and that’s ok with me. i haven’t found a design i’m
comfortable building around a d-bearing yet though

3 Likes

My Freshly Dirty Rooster must have some kind of a special magic spell applied to it because the D bearing it in spins for-frickin-ever. It’s so wicked smooth and legit out performs many C bearing yoyos I have. It’s a fun bearing size, seems like you also don’t have to clean it as often. I remember when D bearings were all the rage in the early - mid 2000s there were some fantastic yoyos that used this bearing size. I’m in the camp that likes them. I also like C bearings but I think there’s a place for D as well.

Now if “I” or “E” bearings make a return, that’d be hilarious! Oh and don’t forget the “ABEC” discussions!

Edit
I should clarify that I do prefer C bearings because of they are more readily available and they do perform at a very high level and do work great. It’s the defacto standard now and for a good reason. It is nice to have other options available though. I in no way meant for my post to sound like “D” bearings were far superior. The similarities are so close it’s really hard to judge what is “better”.

7 Likes

There are significant advantages in some peoples heads.

That’s good enough reason for me.

Enjoy!

12 Likes

Our next release (Basilisk-D) will have exactly the same shape and weight than the original Basilisk which has a C bearing. I can say that they perform very similar. The only thing I have clearly noticed is that D bearings bind easier at slower rpms than C bearings.

D bearings can reach 60,000 rpm vs 53,000 rpm that C bearings can do.

9 Likes

Thanks @Theycallmecotton. We are very happy the way the Don turned out!

5 Likes

Can lol.

I’m yet to meet a human who can throw 12,000 but I guess you are prepared

3 Likes

Um, Ben. My YOMEGA R.P.M. gives an ERR message when I throw my absolute hardest. So, clearly, I far exceed the limits of what’s actually recognizable by said technology. Thus, also exceeding the 12,000 limits that you’ve recorded. :stuck_out_tongue:

only kidding

3 Likes

“D bearings? Why?”

So why not? Two of my favorite brands, HSPIN and SPYY use D bearings and the yoyos I have from them are some of my favorites - (HSPIN) G&E 4, Gorylla, Pyro Light, Pyro, (SPYY) Radian Mk II, Addict. Great players. Smooth. What’s not to like? :upside_down_face:

11 Likes

Are yall sure that d bearings don’t spin as long as c bearings??? My Don spins longer than a lot of my c bearing throws

4 Likes

I really liked the don and it spun long enough but I wouldn’t say spin time was it’s strength.

3 Likes

I’m not saying thats its strength, I’m just saying I own a lot of top end c bearing throws and it can hang with the best of the ones I own.

2 Likes

To probably state the obvious, every individual bearing is a wildcard based on what it is, how clean/greased/worn it might be. That said, I did notice my D bearing throw running out of spin earlier than others. It’s still one of my favorites though.

Also, as far as spin time and actual yo-yos go, isn’t there some basic physics law that tells you what should hold spin longest? I don’t know what it would be, but I’ll guess that it’s either total mass or whatever has the highest mass at the furthest distance from the point of rotation (i.e. bi-metals might hold spin longer because they take more energy to spin up).

Someone here knows.

6 Likes

I’d agree. I’ve got several D bearing throws, and I’d say larger sized throws (Rooster, The Don) in comparison to smaller profiles (Furn, Mini Bowl) definitely have longer spin times, and hold their spin time to similarly spec’d C bearing throws. IMO anyway.

4 Likes

Agreed!

1 Like

The don is a totally different beast man!!!

4 Likes

Yeah man! That thing is definitely impressive… Got some kind of magic in it or something lol

3 Likes