WD-40 does it work

i heard WD-40 can clean bearings but it leaves them with heavily lube. cant i just use compressed air till theres no residue and thin lube it

I wouldn’t use WD-40… I’ve tried what you are suggesting, and one way or another, it still leaves gunk in the bearing. I’ve used the compressed air, and it got rid of most of it, but somehow, the WD gunk appeared a few hours of playing it later. If you really, really need to clean the bearing, but don’t have the mineral spirits, I have found that if you use rubbing alcohol, it works pretty well. You HAVE to use the compressed air, or it will rust, but I have used that a few times, and the bearings are rust free so far. Just use more compressed air than normal to make sure the bearing is fully dry. I hope this helps

I think Casey is going to jump in and disagree with you Preinfalk. However ymmv. As for the Rubbing Alcohol, if you absolutely MUST use it, which I would recommend against but, do whatever you want just make sure you are using 90% Alcohol, and you blow it out and spin it REAL good afterwards, THEN lube it. Just my 2 cents, and in case I hadn’t mentioned, ymmv.

Yep. I have to disagree with Preinfalk. I have a bearing dedicated to being cleaned with WD-40. Been this way for a little over a year I think. Still spins forever. As long as it’s clean right and blown out right then it’s fine.

i personally would not recomend using WD-40 because i did that once and it pretty much ruined the bearing maybe because of something i did or didnt do but i still wouldnt recomend trying it

While WD-40 is not the ideal bearing lube. It will not corrode, rust or ruin bearings in any way.
We need to lay this fallacy to rest.

I’ve used it for years on various tools to clean them up and keep them from rusting with great results.

1 Like

Icthus; I’m intriqued. I thought WD40 was designed to leave a film behind. Is that not true, or do just keep blowing it until it’s gone?

Have Fun,
Java

Very few things will dry with no residue. That’s just a fact of life. Yes it will leave something. Thing is it’s such a small amount that it won’t hurt anything. Next time you clean it that will be removed and a new film deposited. My WD-40 bearing has been playing great for a long time. No ill effects. No slowing down or anything. I will say it’s not a lube but it can clean. I recommend lube as always though.