can i use WD40 to clean my bearings?

i was wondering if i can. thanks!

btw for u people who dont know WD40 is this stuff u put on like squeaky hinges and stuff like that…

dono if it has any water in it then no. ???

It’s been asked before, and you could, but it would really mess things up, so I wouldn’t recommend it. (You could also put cat hair in there. It would mess things up so it isn’t recommended, but you could. :P)

WD40 leaves a lubricating residue that is not made to withstand the speed at which the bearing spins. I don’t use it and recommend you use a solvent (acetone, naptha, mineral spirits) to get it off prior to oiling. It will cause friction on it’s own, you need to put oil on afterward anyway if you choose not to rinse it off. Would do better to use lighter fluid, or paint thinner if availible.

dude, I understand wanting you use whatever you have readily available, but a $5 can of mineral spirits will last you years and years and clean hundreds and hundreds of bearings, and you won’t mess anything up trying other “cleaners”. Pick a can up wherever paint is sold. no wd40, no brake cleaner, no draino, just mineral spirits.

ok thanks guys!