Value of a draupnir

Do you think that the price of the draupnir overdrive, along with the general consensus that it is better than the og, consequently lowers the value of the og?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s a general consensus. I’d say it’s more like 50/50.

I don’t think it’ll lower the value of the Draupnir. I see the Overdrive kind of like the Sigtyr. Some people think it’s better but it didn’t really impact the value of the OG. And it’s not exactly a Draupnir 2.

I hope I’m wrong though. Anyway wanna sell me an OG for $140?

Btw, I’ve noticed the value of Draupnirs have gone down a bit over the years even though the price has went up from $220 to $250. But that’s probably just because there’s a lot more floating around. Before you’d be hard pressed to find an anodized Draupnir for under $180-$200. Nowadays I regularly see Draupnirs for $180 and am seeing $140-$160s more frequently. I even saw a NM black one go for $120 not too long ago

1 Like

I haven’t personally seen the value of the og go down. The og is still the best yoyo I’ve thrown. Just beware of fakes.

1 Like

OG and OD are quite different from each other and both excellent. I’m glad I have both, now that my moneymoon with the OD is over my two see equal play. Saying one is better than the other is really going to depend on your preference.

2 Likes

The original Draupnir is the pinnacle design and honestly it’s difficult to see how it could possibly be improved upon unless there is another breakthrough that revolutionizes yo-yo design.

While it is in part marketed as such, the Overdrive Draupnir is not an upgraded or improved version of the OG. It’s more like a spinoff of it. It’s like Cherry Coke, it doesn’t replace regular coke, it just takes it in a new direction.

If you’re the cynical type, you might argue that they released it just so that they could capitalize on the Draupnir’s fame and maybe convince some people who already have a Draupnir to buy another (worked for me, lol).

But you know, I own pretty much every major YYR throw including the newer ones like the Anomaly (which is AMAZING) and the Inevitable. Yet when I grab the OG Draupnir, as I did earlier today, it’s as clear to me as ever: This is it, this is the apex predator of the yo-yo world. It is the king, no one has dethroned it, and I don’t think they will anytime soon.

6 Likes

I’ve seen other earlier YYR fakes but not a Draupnir. I didn’t even know they existed.

Definitely agree that it depends on preference. OD Draupnir has more power and stability. But the “magic” feel of the OG draupnir that it forces you to go faster is strangely absent.

I wonder whether release of OD Draupnir means OG Draupnir is discontinued. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the price of the OG draupnir slowly climbs back up once people get pass the money-moon phase of the OD Draupnir. With it being discontinued, the retail price is no longer a price a ceiling.

1 Like

Recent question about it

There were more than one “identifying fake draupnir” topics back in the day

This one is super badly categorized at the moment, but you get the idea.

@GoCrazyForYoyo may remember his post from 2016 as well

I don’t think it’s an issue in the last ~4 years but apparently there was a time when it was.

1 Like

Hum… I can still locate a site selling fake draupnir right now… Its in gloss black, clear, pink and blue… so I guess be extra careful around those colorways…

1 Like