Valkyrie or OverDrive Draupnir

I have spent two days watching reviews, reading specs, and scouring the board for info.

They both seem very well received and great throws- but I can seek to settle on one over the other.

Does anyone have experience with both and if so what was your preference?

4 Likes

Sorry, I don’t have both but I can speak to the Valkyrie!!! I think it’s considered the better throw of the two. @KirbyRobot calls it one of the “holy Trinity”. I think it was Gingie anyway. Draupnir, Sygtr, and Valkyrie. Grab one, I love mine.

4 Likes

I can provide some comparison with the old Valkyrie, and the OD Draupnir.
For me, when I was throwing the Valkyrie, it felt solid on the string but very floaty in maneuvers, which is quite special.
The OD Draupnir is really a powerhouse without being a brick, plays how fast or slow you want to and is pretty much an all rounder.
It really depends on how you want your yoyo to be, be it slightly “floaty” or lighter in play, or do you want to know exactly where your yoyo is.
Looking at the specs of the new Valkyrie, it seems to be slightly heavier than the old one but the shape is more oriented for a little more technical tricks compared to the OD Draupnir.

2 Likes

Yes, back when it came out it was part of the “bi-metal trinity of YYR” :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the comparison. Both sound really good.

Which one did you find yourself going back to more?

Honestly it depends, currently I went back to the OD Draupnir more due to my playstyle which is less tech-oriented and more speed play.
But the Valkyrie helped a lot in learning rejections and more tech approaches :smile:

3 Likes

Nobody can answer the question for which one you would like and play more other than yourself.

I think the OD Draupnir is fantastic, I want a new Valkyrie. Some people criticize the OD Draup for being “boring” and too sterile in play, just by the books great performance. Valkyrie has a less comfortable shape, a more rimweighted feel in play, and is just heavier. Some people don’t like how heavy it is.

Nobody can tell you which is better or what to buy because they’re just doing two different things, and which design you want purely depends on what you want your yoyo to feel like and how you want it to perform.

If you really still want a recommendation I would say the OD Draupnir just because it’s the one less likely to be offensive to someone’s taste. Heavier yoyos are very much personal taste, so more people would be likely to dislike the Valkyrie. Nothing about the OD Draup stands out as an aspect people would dislike. Maybe people who dislike bimetals or full sized yoyos… but I don’t think those people would even be considering getting either of these.

tl;dr OD Draup more generalist design, Valkyrie more niche design, what to get depends on what you want, not how other people feel about them

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks- I appreciate the recommendation.

And I completely understand, it’s all personal taste and I could hate one and love the other.

Generally I find that peoples descriptions of how they play- which one they keep coming back to- and overall sentiments can help me make a decision when I’m stuck.

I really appreciate you taking the time to put such a well thought out reply. Thank you

Valkyrie is kind of a weird yoyo in that it is almost too powerful for its own good imho. The best way to describe how it plays is, bizarrely enough, angry. That being said it’s quite fast and it has a good string presence. I can’t say anything on the part of the Draupnir but what I can say is that there are better yos than the Valkyrie out there.

Edit: Glad you bought the Valk. I’ve been learning to love mine more and more over time.

2 Likes

The angry part got me laughing since that was how I felt it at first :joy:

5 Likes

Valkyrie is more powerful but reluctant than the OD Draupnir

Both are good, OD Draupnir is faster, pick based off of how fast you want your yoyo to go

I have no clue about the Old Valkyrie, never touched it.

3 Likes

Here is the opinion of the least talented yoyo player in this thread> me

I use to have 3 Draupnirs and 2 Valkyries.

I now have 3 Overdrive Draupnirs and no Draups or Valkyries.

No regrets…

2 Likes

Hmu if you’re interested in the new Valkyrie. Its near mint, no box, pretty smooth. If you are more of a techincal, speed, and horizontal player, this may be the best thaf will make you enjoy throwing it. Only let it go $90. :x:SOLD

3 Likes

That’s a solid recommendation!!!

1 Like

New valkyrie plays too heavy imo, has a ton of power and performs well enough but it’s just a really… boring throw. I have one, but it just sits in my drawer. Haven’t thrown an OD Draup though, so can’t comment there.

1 Like

PM’d!!

I love both of them. They are different enough to own both.

At risk of repeating what has already been said, the Valkyrie is heavy and powerful. The slight H shape really pushes weight to the rims. Feels like a monster on the string, but the heaviness puts some people off. Great throw to learn new tech tricks when you need spin time to work out your next move.

The OD Draupnir is light and fast. The last competition throw you’ll ever need. You’ll be speeding through combos all day.

I’d recommend picking up the Draupnir first if you don’t already have a standard competition v shape.

2 Likes

Actually picked one up today after all the comments and taking some time to think about it. Really excited to get it!!!

3 Likes

How is the val. Was looking at it to get

1 Like