Upgrading Dark Magic

Sooo, I’ve been having a great time with my 2nd yoyo, Dark Magic - but now I think it’s time to upgrade it. But what do I need? ???
I guess Koncave Bearing is the answer - but do I need a kit with bearing+shims?
And I guess there are various types of Koncave Bearings, so what would be a good buy?

This has been my yoyo dealer so far: www.yoyoz.co.uk - any bearing you could suggest from that place?

Well there is the konkaved bearing from Def-E-Yo witch is very popular with unresponsive play. there ar also beings with groves in them that make the string stay in the middle better also. i personally use a def e yo kk bearing but its kinda about what you like the fell of. as for shims i personally don’t use them first of because my DM’s are adjustable and secondly they don’t really help me much. but again it up to you they will make r yo a bit less responsive. also if you haven’t yet try some thin yoyojam lube. as for dealers mine is www.yoyoexpert.com and www.yoyonation.com . later and keep it spinning.

Alot of how you upgrade the DM is about personal preference.  I like my gap a little wider, so I put shims in.  I like to play a little less responsive, so I cleaned my bearing and run it dry, and I cut the o-ring flush to the face of the yoyo.  I upgraded to a KonKave bearing, by Dif-e-yo- longer sleep times and more stable play with multiple string layers.

Dif-e-yo Ceramic KonKavehttp://www.yoyoz.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_52&products_id=199&osCsid=uv0cvf776m4cqt8k7o08rmvt60

Standard KonKave http://www.yoyoz.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_52&products_id=198&osCsid=uv0cvf776m4cqt8k7o08rmvt60

Shims http://www.yoyoz.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=226&osCsid=uv0cvf776m4cqt8k7o08rmvt60

Personally I use these http://www.yoyonation.com/product.php?productid=16217&cat=261&page=1  They give just the right amount of extra gap for me.

Hope this helps.

What is it that you wish your yoyo did better? I could tell you what I would do to make it better for me, (just shims) but we need to know what you wish it did better, to suggest what would make it better for you. ;D

Well, I’m still in the “advanced” part of the trick section - but I think I will soon be ready to practice some of the Expert tricks (that doesn’t mean I’m perfect at the advanced ones - just doing them pretty decent).
But when I do a trick like buddas revenge the yoyo doesn’t sleep for as long as I wish.
I know the reasons…

1. My bearing could probably use some thin lube
  2. I don’t keep the strings fully centered when doing tricks like that.
    That offcourse is only af matter of practice - or as I was thinking - maybe get a koncave bearing to make it a little easier.
    So since I allready kinda made up my mind, my post was more a question about what koncave bearing to get, since I got a little confused when browsing various shops. Different sizes, and prices - and some came packed with shims and such…
    Or maybe someone would tell me a reason not to go koncave. I mean, what could possibly be “bad” about a bearing helping out keeping string in center? Why do some people not like it? :slight_smile:

The konkave definitely helps, but it is up to you whether you like it or not. I personally don’t really like the konkaves, but i use them if i have a super long trick, or recently for a show to keep the yoyo sleeping longer. You might as well invest in one, because you’ll get it sooner or later so why not now? But the thing that is really important is thin lube, that stuff is the best!

As far as the sleep length is concerned… if you clean the bearing in mineral spirits, it will sleep longer than with lube. Try it out. If you like it, awesome, if not oh well. It does get MUCH less responsive though.

I like the KK’s but if you don’t have a level or powerful throw, you won’t get as much enjoyment out of it. But once you get more consistent, it is a very nice addition to the DM. Hope it helps :smiley:

Allright, KK’s, shims and lube has been ordered and is on it’s way :slight_smile:
When I’ve had a chance to play around with it, I will post what I think. But as more of you have said, it’s a matter of preference - so I just cross my fingers and hope I will like it :slight_smile:

About cleaning bearing in mineral spirits, doesn’t it somewhat damage the bearing? Anyways, Ill start of with lube, and see how I like it.

But thanks for the replys :slight_smile:

Mineral spirits breaks down oil, it doesn’t [seem to] corrode. Rubbing alcohol, on the other hand, destroyed one of my large bearings… whoopsies.

I just use a normal Konkave Bearing and some YoYoJam Thin Lube. Works great for me! :wink: