Unresponsive undersized suggestions for small handed kid?

After having a Fizz for a couple of years that was really no fun for her, I got a Magic Yoyo Crystal K2 plus for my 8 year old daughter for Christmas. Her older brother and I are honing our skills on iCEBERGs and she wants to catch up.

She has pretty much mastered the first bind, has solid throws, but string tricks are quite challenging due to the limited amount of string in such a tight space on her hands. She really needs a smaller/narrower yoyo to fit her body size at this point.

A long spinning pocket sized throw would be good, but Iā€™m a little worried about handing her metal at this point in her skill development. I cant seem to find anything plastic that is highly recommended.

Options Iā€™ve come up with:
-YYF One (plenty of people say tricks are challenging due to limited spin time, which wonā€™t boost her morale, also a super narrow gap for string tricks might kick it out of the running)
-YYF 45 (maybe the best option since it is lighter?)
-Recess Snack (definitely the best for it to handle her tricks as she advances, but a little worried about injuries early on)

Any suggestions?

7 Likes

Whatā€™s your price range?

1 Like

Less than $50 would be nice, but it isnā€™t a hard number. Not over $100.

1 Like

The magic yoyo n8 is pretty small and can handle all of the string tricks itā€™s unresponsive. Here is it next to my yyf wedge

it costs like 16$ and it doesnā€™t hurt at all on binds because of the smooth finish

3 Likes

I think the 45 would be awesome! It looks and plays premium, which will help her morale. Its also small and light so it shouldnā€™t be too hard for small hands to learn on, and impacts wont be as gnarly. The shape is also fairly wide, with a nice big catch zone too which should help with learning tricks.

I have a Snack, and its a crazy powerful little yoyo. Binds on good throws come back hard cuz its not really light for its size. I think the 44 or 45 would be more ideal tbh.

3 Likes

Perfect, thatā€™s what I was thinking too. Even has finger spin cups for when she gets there :slight_smile:

The n8 is crazy cheap with great reviews, but I think is in the same boat as the snack as a dense little 65g bullet when it snaps back unexpectedly.

I have a steel Tom Kuhn Pocket Rocket sitting around from 25 years ago that she can hone her reflexes with and work up to the Snackā€¦haha

3 Likes

Game over.

7 Likes

The Skyline for 20 is pretty amazing. As far as plastics go, the Rain City Skills Sk8r is the closest thing Iā€™ve found to ā€œundersizedā€ while still performing exceptionally well. Lots of cool colors to choose from on their site, too.

2 Likes

Had no idea they went down to $20

Absolutely amazing deal

2 Likes

The Magicyoyo T9 is undersized and comes with responsive and unresponsive setups.

1 Like

The Sk8er isnā€™t that small is it? Compared to my other throws at least.

1 Like

No, it definitely isnā€™t. It has a smaller diameter than my other good unresponsive plastics, but itā€™s difficult to find a plastic that performs well and is truly undersized.

1 Like

N8 is heavy to me for such a small size.

6 Likes

Strongly recommend the Sk8r and Skyline. Get both, she then can have a Delrin and stacked metal to practice on.

2 Likes

Skyline has the hubstacks, will double as a fidget spinner. Iā€™d vote skyline.

3 Likes

Oh yeah I forgot how heavy it was :laughing:

1 Like

I like the shape profile, lower weight, and hopefully long spin time of the 45.

The hub stacks on the skyline seem a bit gimmicky to me and create more points of failure and noise.

Sk8r looks nice, and will point her towards it when she gets better at hitting the string perhaps.

Thank you for all the input, I really appreciate it!

Hubstacks are always removable which also lowers weight

2 Likes

Hi @therman, I just wanted to add in that the YYF Whip is similar in size to the YYF One but performs waaaaay better! It is a fantastic yoyo for the price and is my go to give away yoyo. It is super durable and a pretty good player. It comes set up as responsive (w/ a slim C bearing and thick pads) but if you have a regular C bearing and standard 19mm pads to switch in, it is easily converted to a great unresponsive. The axle is long enough to accommodate.

6 Likes

This is a great recommendation as well.

2 Likes