Unresponsive undersized suggestions for small handed kid?

Alternatively, if you want to get her a solid metal yoyo, I would probably recommend the GenXS. It’s an older model and I actually haven’t had a chance to try it yet but I love the Genesis and this is a pocket version of it. I also love love love the Metal Arrow, which is also a pocket Genesis variant, but it is no longer available.
I worry that the 45 won’t have enough string presence or spin power to be helpful for someone learning. The h-shape of the Genesis is very stable and powerful, so I imagine that the GenXS would lend to this as well. This shape is also very comfortable and catchable. That’s my 2 cents. Enjoy!

2 Likes

The reviews of the 44 all seem to say it punches way above its weight class in terms of playability and stability, I would expect the 45 to follow suit.

The GenXs is really similar in size/weight to the Snack, which plays very heavy and comes bck to the hand really hard.

1 Like

Fair, I’m still skeptical of recommending an ultra light yoyo for a young beginner, because although fun, they are harder to control and are really zippy. These are things that an experienced player can appreciate but I feel could be a source of frustration for a beginner.

I have a G2 GBP, weighing in at 48 grams and is a bi-metal which adds a more solid presence. It’s fun but I wouldn’t recommend it for a new player for the reasons that I have already mentioned above.

2 Likes

Your response brought up some points I hadn’t really thought of. My concern with the Snack/GenXs is the weight makes them little rocks. Maybe its not an issue with smol hands that cant even throw as hard?

3 Likes

I have both. I think with a shorter string they’d feel even heavier. I

1 Like

Fair fair, one thing that I hadn’t considered is that the diameter of the 44 and 45 is only ~47mm, which will significantly change how the weight will impact it. So maybe it will feel more controllable at this size?

2 Likes

Okay I concede @bheinz63, the YYF 44 or 45 may be good options. I don’t own either so I can’t comment on their play suitability. But the need for a smaller yoyo may work well with these designs. Just looking at the design elements, I would say that the 44 is likely to withstand more abuse than the 45.

Edit: I do still think that the YYF Whip could also be a good option, though it is bigger in diameter than the 44 or 45 (which is funny because I think of it as quite small). Thinking of me as an 8 year old, the Whip will handle being smashed into concrete over and over again. :joy:

3 Likes

I still 100% agree with you on the Whip suggestion. They’re readily available at Hobby Lobby, and other brick/mortar stores and basically bullet proof.

2 Likes

The rebirth is growing on me, actually an amazing throw. If you dont mind spendin a little more

3 Likes

I would say the yotricks arcade

1 Like

I ordered a 45, so will update once we have some experience with it. She switched over to a Sage in the meantime which is better than the Crystal for her so far.

4 Likes

This would be an amazing way to go. Comfortable and small. Take the stacks off if you want a bit less weight. It’s only $20 for a metal yoyo. Truly amazing

Obviously too late, but throw in the iyoyo passion anyways. Got one for my 9yr old boys. Awesome throw!

3 Likes

My 7 yr old daughter stole my nekyo Recess First Base and is killing it without issue, despite a shorter string due to her being a tiny human. Kids are quick to adapt to things. She also loves the kitty + glitter.

She started out with YYF throws but wanted more power. Her One Drop Deep State NQP in broken hearts colors is also on her shelf but used less often at moment.

5 yr old boy is jealous and is still working on basics with his YYF throws to get his upgrade.

6 Likes

I want a First Base for ME, but can’t find one anywhere.

1 Like

45 arrived and she is in love with it. Fits her tiny hands perfectly and I can very easily do finger spins on it. Has a weird hollow sound due to the thin metal and plastic caps, but aside from any thinly veiled political messaging it is perfect for her. Surprisingly stable and long spinning for the weight and great for tiny hands.

2 Likes

45 is 45gm and $45.

44 was 44gm and $44.

The thin part wasn’t thin enough, we were aiming for 44, like the 44 & 444 before it.

5 Likes

Really happy to hear the 45 worked out so well for you and your daughter <3

3 Likes

the snack is sold out but here is another great option