First Unresponsive for Young Player: Replay Pro, Freehand Nextgen Or?

So I’ve got a young pal who’s just starting out, and I think he’ll be ready to try unresponsive in a month or so. Looking for recommendations for an unresponsive that’s friendly to a young beginner.

I personally started out with a Replay Pro and it’s an excellent throw, but I’m checking to see if there are other yoyos in that price range that might be better for players in the 9-12YO range with smaller hands than mine.

The Freehand Nextgen looks interesting and it’s a little cheaper, does anyone have experience with both? I’m also open to recommendations for other unresponsive plastic throws in the sub-$20 price range.

Thanks,
Ivan

3 Likes

The replay pro should be fine for smaller hands, as long as he can already throw and catch the yo-yo. I know someone in that same age range who has progressed nicely with a replay pro.

1 Like

If you can find a freehand pro. Id recommend it over tbe next gen. The lower wall shape and longer spin time of the Freehand Pro made it more favorable than tbd NextGen.

1 Like

The freehand nextgen is a fairly vibey plastic. It does spin pretty long for a plastic though and comes with a difeyo concave bearing. It is also a fairly skinny yoyo so it may be harder to learn on but easier to fit in a pocket.

1 Like

TopYo Mojo is always my recommendation for a sub $20 plastic throw. It’s a truly amazing yoyo for the price.

You could also go with a magicyoyo k2 Crystal. Also a great cheap plastic

I’ve trained quite a few young people to go unresponsive so here’s a goto set I’ve encouraged new players to buy:

My top 3 for new Players:

Yomega Glide XP - it’s a tank, so it can take the drops and pavement hits yet still maintain good play, It can also be both responsive and unresponsive, plays really well for the price ~$30

Magic Yoyo Node - cheap, solid bang for your buck ~$20

TopYo Silenus - plays way above it’s price range, just an all around great throw ~30

Honorable Mention -

Shutter - Gentry rips on the Shutter, and sometimes thats what kids need to stay inspired ~$45

edit
I re-read your post… if you are looking around the ~$20 range, I’d also toss the Magic Yoyo Sharks Honor in there. My 8 year old started on a Butterfly XT and moved to my light metals like the Sharks Honor very quickly.

If you’re set on Plastics, the Fizz and the Sage from Yotricks are solid as well.

6 Likes

Because I like the Yomega, I’m adding some pics for reference on size. The small hand is my 8yr olds hand… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

If you’re good with spending $20 and can find one, the First Base is my top choice for a plastic unresponsive. It’s a great throw for any skill level. Fun, quality, and performs well.

I started on a Sage and it’s a solid option, but it doesn’t really hold up to other modern plastics. The only other sub $20 one I’ve tried is the Whip and it is great as a responsive and is surprisingly solid as an unresponsive too. It’s also kinda smaller, so could be good for a kid or someone with smaller hands.

2 Likes

YYF Arrow is a good one for smaller hands. It’s a little lighter and comes with both a responsive and unresponsive bearing.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind spending slightly more than $20, I think the ThrowRevolution Neo is a seriously good choice. You get a machined delrin yoyo for your money and it’s a fantastic player while not being too large. The organic shape is very comfortable to hold in the hand but it doesn’t compromise on stability. It comes with both a slim bearing and a full sized C bearing as well.

I’m still learning unresponsive. I have several very nice throws. While learning, I have been using using a MagicYoYo V3. It was very inexpensive at the online big box store and included several useful accessories and 5 extra strings.

This one works very well. I keep it on my desk to experiment with.

Again, being an outlier old guy, I still prefer responsive…

I have attached a photo beside my RBC for size comparison.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the suggestions! Based on the input and limited to what’s available here on YYE, I’m ordering a Mojo this time around (I’m interested to try it myself honestly) and will be keeping an eye on other options to come back in stock.

@Shapapy I totally forgot that the Whip can be set up unresponsive! He’s got a Whip right now so I might try that with one of my spare bearings, for science.

Ivan

2 Likes

It’s really not too shabby. I was surprised how stable it was, although a bit vibey. I even replaced the pads so they fit flush and that gives it a little performance boost, but will make it a little less responsive if you play it responsive.