Yo-yo for 5 year old

Howdy Partners

My boy is turning 5 and it’s time. He keeps taking my yo-yos and it puts me on edge.

Which yo-yo do you guys recommend? Even my first base is not responsive enough for him. I’ve tried him with a string measured for him but it ends up so short he’d have to throw at a million miles and hour to flow.

Any ideas?

Thanks

6 Likes

YYF Whip. Cheap, plastic, and responsive.

2 Likes

Try a Duncan pulse, it’s been a hit amongst all my friends’ kids around that age, my daughter (6) has one too

4 Likes

If he just wants to throw it, maybe a looper or some fixie. They should be more than enough responsive.
Something like:
Loop720
Butterfly
Imperial
Hornet
Legend (Wing)

1 Like

get a yyf whip there only $6 and you can find them at hobby lobby. it is a great beginner yoyo my brother got one not to long ago and he loves ti

1 Like

Yyf whip and put vaseline or chapstick in the bearing to make it even more responsive :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for all you suggestions. Ended up going for a Duncan Pulse. The fact that it lights up was quite the source of excitement for the little man. :+1:

9 Likes

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I’m definitely going to check out the Duncan pulse and the other yo-yos you recommended.

1 Like

I would recommend the Duncan first yo yoyo. It has rubber rims so it won’t really cause any damage if it hits something.

2 Likes

All great recomendations.

My daughter (6 at the time) liked the YYF Spinstar. An upgrade to this would be the Snapback here on Yoyo Expert.

The others that comest to mind is the YYF Whip or One.

A five year old with a hunk of plastic at the end of a string… What could possibly go wrong? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hitting their 4-year-old cousin in the head? (True Story)

1 Like