Unresponsive to responsive

Is there any way to make and unresponsive bearing play responsive ? I used some thick lube and it plays good but was just wandering if it could truly play responsive

Try removing the shields and applying grease.

Yes grease up the bearing, and it will work. The gap will still be too wide for “proper” responsive behavior most of the time though. What I do is put in a slim c bearing, assuming the axle well isn’t too wide and the yo-yo will screw all the way shut with the slim bearing in place.

Ok thanks … any special kind of grease?

I have never come across a gap too wide for unresponsive. Do you mean proper responsive?

Oooops yes I did good catch I have edited my post.

Bike grease is good, any grease will do. Maybe stay away from kitchen grease, though it would probably work.

Umm, a std “C” bearing was supplied for years in RESPONSIVE yoyos, long before unresponsive became the norm.

A bit of thick lube, 3-in-1 or yomega brain lube works fine for responsive. Also double loop the string on the axle.

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: a super wide gap just doesn’t play right to me as a responsive, you could wrap the string 12 times and pack the bearing in industrial fry grease… still wouldn’t matter. Gap is too dang wide, binds aren’t properly tight like a good responsive with narrow gap.

I recommend keeping some slim C bearings on hand to swap in and out, and experiment with.

You could put in a mega fat string like Ammo or Kitty XL but… there’s no substitute for a proper narrow gap to get that responsive feel with super tight binds, IMO.

3 Likes

I’m speechless… :speak_no_evil::hear_no_evil::see_no_evil:

1 Like

Fun fact, people used to use chapstick as lube to make yoyos responsive. Open the shield, and put a chunk of the chapstick in.

2 Likes

Ingredient wise, Chapstick is basically vaseline. Petroleum jelly.

I normally take a plastic cap from a bottle and put some oil (any type is good, from engine oil to corn oil) and then dip the bearing. 60 seconds and dry the paper.
Thus it becomes response.

2 Likes

I wish there was a 3/4spec bearing.

2 Likes