Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

Fair enough.

But by doing this, they give the impression that these tricks are still extremely common/relevant in the current yoyo scene. A newcomer (like I was a couple of years ago), could easily come away with a skewed sense of priorities when it comes to buying a yoyo, thinking that it is important to have a finish or hub that makes grinds and fingerspins easy/easier. And for experienced players who do those kinds of tricks all the time, they can tell just by looking at a photo whether or not a yoyo will lend itself to them; they don’t need a reviewer to tell them that by giving those tricks a perfunctory mention (and a poorly executed demonstration).

6 Likes

That’s a fair counterpoint.

4 Likes

The thing is this is my unpopular opinion. And I grind a lot I’m not the greatest yoyoer ever but the number of times I’ll pop a grind into a trapeze or finish a combo with a talon grind is a lot. I have a few YoYos I can’t do that with they don’t get played. Finish is probably my biggest pet peeve on a yo-yo. Like I said maybe unpopular opinion and maybe I’m a unique player but finger spins/grinds/finish is some my favorite tricks

Also don’t like finger spin circles like the Sherpa or vapor motion rather just have a nipple or open face to finger spin with

9 Likes

Exactky finish is key on top of it not grinding well BIG pet peeve that a lot of people on here don’t seem to get. But then again I think I’m particular on touch. I’m the same way with guitars… some people don’t get why makes expensive guitars expensive and it’s the feel. Same way with YoYos

4 Likes

And once again these are my unpopular opinions lol

3 Likes

i think you’re immediately assuming that newcomer is not there to watch the video to see how that very yoyo grinds :thinking:

3 Likes

I am, but only because as a newcomer, I didn’t even know what grinds were, or that fingerspins where a “thing” in yoyoing.

1 Like

this was posted today… i think stuff like this is cool… i like it :man_shrugging:t3:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLMYl22CHq6/?igshid=ssi98foc6nvw

11 Likes

Yeah the reviews don’t really differentiate and give equal weight to every element. I can easily see a beginner being like “well this yo-yo has no finger spin hub or irg and a shiny glossy ano, must be worse than a yo-yo that does have it” and they’re looking at a Draupnir.

@kangusmangus not personally going after you just responding. I knew some people would take issue that’s why I thought it was appropriate for this thread. I even specified there are exceptions. But I can almost guarantee as you improve even if you still enjoy grinds that they will be less and less a part of your yo-yo experience. I do grinds a bit, mostly like finger and arm, and even on glossy ano or clear coats it’s enough for me to be satisfied. If your goal is strictly 5 second plus grinds and cultivating a grind based style then you’re gonna think differently.

But again, a generalization is exactly that and the exceptions don’t invalidate the point.

3 Likes

Yeah I know you weren’t my b if it came off that way just saying we do exist. And I doubt I ever stop using them they’re just nice tiny additions to my combos. I’m not great but have basically every trick in advanced down on this site and when a yo-yo loses hella spin because the finish on a short grind it rarely gets played. I just picked up the rotor by huatian YoYos. And it’s unique but it’s finish doesn’t grind well and it has caps so it feels pointless besides being a gimmick if it had better finish I’d enjoy it soooooo much more but that’s my opinion

5 Likes

Ill admit I don’t do grinds and thumb grinds all that often on a pure time spent with a yoyo perspective, but all too many times im in the groove, throwing tricks, and just want to throw them into what im doing. It is really disappointing when you get into the state of yo with a yoyo, and just want to do a grind and cant. Being able to thumb grind a yoyo oftentimes makes me choose the one that can rather than doesn’t not because im going to do it over and over, but because I have that trick at my disposal. The same applies to hubstacks. Yea, im not using them all the time, but it can be cool to use them when I want. Cant do that with a yoyo that can’t do it, even if you feel the impulse.

6 Likes

Grinds are good for the easy show off tricks to non-throwers. You can even lower it down on their thumb and help them do a thumb grind. People like fingerspins, most don’t realize its possible.

5 Likes

I don’t have any particular love for grind tricks, tbh, but I do like Skin the Gerbil if for no other reason than it serves as a suitable substitute for Walk the Dog when civilians make that inevitable request. Someday I’ll actually learn Skin the Gerbil…

4 Likes

As long as your knife is really sharp, it’s pretty easy.

14 Likes

I showed my girlfriend this trick back when. Asked her if she liked it… she said “no… I don’t care about the trick… I just think the name is horrible”

4 Likes

Yes, thumb grinds are great for letting little kids play.
I love grinds, and do them often absentmindedly, while doing something else. I don’t think of them so much as a trick element, but just something to do. I also like to throw a sleeper and just let it go while I’m doing or thinking something else. It’s a different style of play.

7 Likes

Well put sir

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of grinds, they’re a great element to blow people’s minds who aren’t familiar with modern yo-yo tricks. I generally hold off on showing them until I get the obligatory “can you walk the dog?” request. I reply that I can walk the dog… on my finger!

Always blows their minds, and it generally satisfies the walk the dog request.

A quick grind can also take the vibe off a less than stellar throw too.

13 Likes

ahhh, clever!

2 Likes

I’ve been doing a lot more thumb grind tricks lately and I wish more Yoyos had an irg.

5 Likes